User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
dehydratedH2O OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Trading a sportbike for a 950?

Hey everyone, sorry for probably asking the same thing you've seen a hundred times for my first post, but I've searched and haven't found anything really concise.

Basically, I've got a 2013 Triumph Daytona 675R that I've had for about a year, but I've only put 1700mi on. Part of that is due to the fact that I lived in Baltimore before I moved (with the bike) to the Bay Area. Even now that the riding weather is much better, though, I don't ride as much as I'd like because the bike just isn't comfortable. It was my first sportbike ever (I've also had a 2004 SV650N and a 2009 Buell 1125CR which were both more upright/naked ergos), but I've come to learn that I just can't do sportbike ergos, and I'd like to go moto camping.

So, I posted it on Craigslist for sale/trade, and I got a trade offer from a guy that works at my company (it's a large one -- I don't know him personally). He'd like to trade his 2004 950 Adventure S + cash for my bike. I'm not too concerned about the cash delta -- I'm sure we can work something out. What I am concerned about is going to a 10 year old bike.

The bike itself has 36k miles, which from my perspective is rather high, but I understand isn't actually much at all for these bikes. I've heard of a few problems with these bikes (water pump impeller, right?), but overall they look pretty good. I took the bike for a nice 30mi ride through Hwy 9 and it rode great. Cosmetics aren't good, but I don't care what it looks like. It has definitely been down a few times. The seller is including a set of wheels that are sized for road rubber and include some fresh Michelin rubber along with the original wheels with TKC80s. I don't plan on doing much off-roading -- a fire road or trail to get to a campsite from time to time, but mostly just touring and commuting, so the TKC80s will probably just sit in the closet. There was a little bit of pop and burble to the (stock, as far as I can tell) exhaust, but nothing I haven't experienced in my old bikes, and the power delivery was smooth. The suspension internals are custom, so I know I'll have to budget to have that redone for me, but what else should I be looking out for? How much should I budget for oil changes? (I'd do them myself, but my apartment complex doesn't allow vehicle maintenance.) What other services do I need to start planning for? The owner mentioned having checked valves already, though I'm not sure how recently. Is this a good trade, or am I looking at sinking the cash difference in maintenance/fixes soon?

Thanks in advance, inmates!
dehydratedH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,626
Quit pussy-footing around and just get the bike.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
I went from my Brand new Daytona to the Adventure bike world, and I'll never look back.

More on the topic - I just bought an 05 950 with 64k on it. It ended up being a lot more abused than I anticipated and I've been working my ass off over the past month getting things caught up. The engine and mechanical parts are pristine. I do believe that the motor/mechanical parts are all good to go, and now I'm working on buttoning up some electrical issues. With that being said - this bike is not easy to work on and you would definitely get caught doing maintenance in a parking lot. Doing a simple oil change (the proper way) requires taking off the windscreen, both upper tank fairings, both tanks, crash guards (if installed), and engine guard…..as you can see this all takes up a lot of room and a decent amount of time. I've heard that you can expect a dealer to charge $100 to do an oil change (including the $70'ish for the oil!!!)

My suggestion would be that you need to find a place to work on the bike and you'll be fine. Things will eventually go wrong. The bike is rather easy to work on once you've taken off the tanks a couple times, as I can have the bike stripped all the way to the valves in about 30 minutes.
If you're going to depend solely on dealers I might consider something else that doesn't require as much attention.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,776
Since the bike is a 2004 you'll want to make sure the owner has done all the TBs that accompany the first generation 950s. 36k miles on a 950 motor is not that much if the owner has done his preventive/interval/TB maintenance. It would be helpful to know the history of the bike. If you're in the bay area you're close to Super Plush (James) so that's a no brainer for your suspension work and worth doing if the current set up is not ideal for you.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,202
And a 950 IS a Sportbike. ( it just doesn't look like it )
Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 532
Do your research and homework. Try to get some time riding one of these before taking the plunge. I'd personally try to find something newer.

ben
Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,626
Depends on how much "+cash" we're talking, too. That can make up for a lot of sins.

There's really nothing to fear in these bikes.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
dehydratedH2O OP
n00b

Thanks for the advice, guys. The current suspension was actually done by Super Plush, so I'd either take it back there or to Evolution for getting it setup for me. I think Swashbuckler hit it on the head, though: $100 every 6 months or a year is fine for oil changes, but I can't get away with any maintenance beyond chain CLA in my apartment complex. Unfortunately, the bike doesn't have a full history, so I'm going to be a little in the dark. Could you guys maybe recommend someone in the area for a pre-trade inspection?

FWIW, I'm thinking I'd like to make the offer to be a 5.5k cash difference to book value on my bike (about 11k) based on a slightly elevated book value on his bike (5.2k + extra wheels). I just don't want to sink the majority of that cash on maintenance/repairs.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,202
Scuderia should be able to do an inspection.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,031
Kidding, right?

You are going to trade that in for a 10 year old 950 Adventure R that has been beaten to a pulp?

I'd say just go to the gym, do some weight training and pushups, strengthen the neck and ride that beautiful bike of yours.

That's what I did with my KTM RC8. Couldn't sell it, so I'm gonna ride it into the ground! Sport bikes are spectacular at speed.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
dehydratedH2O OP
n00b

Even if it were a better fit for me ergonomically, the Daytona isn't a good fit for the riding I want to do. I like small, light bikes, but I would really like to do some weekend motocamping, or at least some weekend road trips, and the Daytona doesn't lend itself well to that.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Lemmy
Adventure Kook

Oddometer: 41
dont do it!

You can do better, just sell the Daytona outright and start looking for the right 950/990, they are out there , I bought my 08 990 here with a ton of nice upgrades with 6500 miles for 8400 two years ago. Sold my very nice gs 12 to do it and could not be happier, amazing bike that kicks ass street or dirt.
Good luck
RB
Lemmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,485
I'll leave you the decision of finding the right 950/990 to get, but get one! My previous bike was an 02 ZX-9R. Sold it for the same reason- lower back and neck pain after riding it for any significant amount of time. That, and I was riding stupid fast on it. Decided I needed something else and a dual sport fit the bill. Started doing my research, knowing that I wanted something that I could ride anywhere and do my own maintenance on. Came down to a choice between the 950 and the GS 1150. Drank the orange Kool-Aide and haven't looked back. It had a few farkles when I got it, and I've added a Renazco seat, 2-1 pipe and Superplush suspension. Other than that, regular maintenance, fuel and tires. Mine's an 05.5 I picked up with about 9K miles on it. Paid 9500 for it in 2007, currently has close to 40K miles. It's never left me stranded. I do know it's mad at me 'cause I'm not riding it enough- pukes fuel from the carb until the o-rings re-seal, and then it's all good.

Get it, meet some of the folks in the Bay Area, go for a ride. I need to do that. It's been far too long since I've done anything more than an hour or two on it. Anyone up for a short moto camping trip?

G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehydratedH2O View Post
Even if it were a better fit for me ergonomically, the Daytona isn't a good fit for the riding I want to do. I like small, light bikes, but I would really like to do some weekend motocamping, or at least some weekend road trips, and the Daytona doesn't lend itself well to that.
While the 950 is certainly well beyond capable of weekend Moto camping trips, it is neither small nor light.

You could luggage the Daytona out, and get a comfy seat, windscreen, and clipon risers and be in sport touring territory for well under a grand.
Your only distance stress would be the knee angle.
If your weekend destinations include twisties, I'd stick with the trumpet.
I mean, the 9x0 can carve too, don't get me wrong, but nothing like a real sporty bike.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
Trades aside, there are a lot more bikes out there besides KTMs. Not to knock 'em... I want a 1190 Adventure something awful. but no $$. :)

If the guy is in no rush, take the time to explore your other options. Shop Craigslist, visit some local dealers and see what you like. The BMW shops are always ready to let you test ride their bikes. Same with Triumph (check out the Tiger 800/800XC). You'd probably get a good trade deal on your 675 at a Triumph dealer on a Tiger 800.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote