Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #91
AvonTier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
09 990 R, 1800km's. Experiencing all the common issues regarding loss of power etc. I'm taking it in to have it checked out. 99% convinced it's the fp.
AvonTier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #92
AvonTier
Adventurer

I don't think running WFO has anything to do with it. As far as I know the fp needs to maintain a certain pressure all the time. The increased flow demand shouldn't significantly hasten wear, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, some have done 50k and others less than 2k. Something ain't right with the design or whatever.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #93
Wallaby_Ted
You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer: 116
08 35,000km not a problem. Lots of dirt and suspect fuel over the year i've had it.

www.checkingtheboundaryfence.com - The upside, down-under tour of Australia. August to September 2009
Wallaby_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #94
rumguzzler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Just to fill you guys in . The KTM guys checked the FP and filters. Pump was putting out the correct psi , the inlet filter was very blocked and has been replaced. The bike is now running fine. I wish there was some sort of after market kit to solve this problem of the filters blocking way too quickly.

Anyway from now on , I will have a spare filter kit with me at all times.

Cheers, Matt
rumguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #95
jeremyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Thanks for posting your findings. All too often these threads just end with no resolution. I'll add it to my list of things for the dealer to check when I eventually take the bike in this fall.
jeremyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #96
Rev Fred
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I am having this problem now, on an '08 with 18,000 miles. Exactly the same symptoms as explained on here. When bike is hot it can start to splutter and give up over 5K and 80 mph. Keep riding and it just gets worse and worse. One solution is to switch the bike on and off as you are going along, this seems to cure the problem for a while.

I DO run my bike down to low fuel levels all the time. I run up to about 25 miles over the reserve light pretty much every other day. However, only rarely to I end up with so little fuel that the bike starts to die. (Incidentally, you can get about 5 miles on a pluttering bike by swinging it from side to side. It goes on for ages.)

When it first happened I took it back to the dealer, P&H in Crawley, West Sussex, UK, which is a new large franchise dealer. They had no idea what the problem was, and eventually thought it was a fuel line seal, and ordered a new one from KTM, which took 8 weeks to arrvie and cost 15p. Problem solved, but now the problem is back. If it IS the FP, then whatever the service centre did - clean out the system - then this solves the issue for a while, but not for ever.

Love this bike, but this sort of major problem and shoulder-shrugging crap from dealers will just send me straight back to Honda. The new VFR looks nice, hmmmm.
Rev Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #97
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Fred
I am having this problem now, on an '08 with 18,000 miles. Exactly the same symptoms as explained on here. When bike is hot it can start to splutter and give up over 5K and 80 mph. Keep riding and it just gets worse and worse. One solution is to switch the bike on and off as you are going along, this seems to cure the problem for a while.

I DO run my bike down to low fuel levels all the time. I run up to about 25 miles over the reserve light pretty much every other day. However, only rarely to I end up with so little fuel that the bike starts to die. (Incidentally, you can get about 5 miles on a pluttering bike by swinging it from side to side. It goes on for ages.)

When it first happened I took it back to the dealer, P&H in Crawley, West Sussex, UK, which is a new large franchise dealer. They had no idea what the problem was, and eventually thought it was a fuel line seal, and ordered a new one from KTM, which took 8 weeks to arrvie and cost 15p. Problem solved, but now the problem is back. If it IS the FP, then whatever the service centre did - clean out the system - then this solves the issue for a while, but not for ever.

Love this bike, but this sort of major problem and shoulder-shrugging crap from dealers will just send me straight back to Honda. The new VFR looks nice, hmmmm.

I am with you on this shoulder shrugging crap, but electronics will do that.

Seen the write up on the vfr today ...nice tourer but it wont handle the dirt to well
Old 10-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #98
arquimoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
990 adventure 2008, 18.000 km - no fuel pump problems
arquimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #99
cool dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Cool2 Boom

Until recently I had no probelms with the fuel pump on my 26000Km 2006 990 Adventure. I think that I may have problems now though ...

It was not a catastrophic failure...rather a dipsomaniac cager.
cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #100
Chalkpaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I bought a 05' 950 this summer. I have ridden it about 6000 miles since buying it from an inmate here on ADV. The bike has over 45,000 miles on it. Thats like 73,000km! No problems what so ever. I thank my lucky stars that the previous owner put so much into the bike. Everything just works great.
Chalkpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #101
AvonTier
Adventurer

Replaced the f/pump after 1800km, problem solved (for now).
Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #102
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
I had a problem with the fp on my first 990, same as described previously in this thread. When the bike was hot the power was going from 0 to 100% every 5 secondes... until I let the bike cool down.

Got the bike stolen before I could fix it

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #103
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
08' 990 S.

My fuel pump just quit with 7K a couple of mos ago. Got it replaced under warranty. Filters were clean, but laying the bottom of the pump housing were small strings of plastic. Pump seemed locked up. Got a spare to keep on the bike just in case. No pump no run.
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #104
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
'07 990 8k miles no poblems at all.
'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #105
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool dude
Until recently I had no probelms with the fuel pump on my 26000Km 2006 990 Adventure. I think that I may have problems now though ...

It was not a catastrophic failure...rather a dipsomaniac cager.
How you do dat?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote