Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Hah! thanks for the motivation Mezo! Sorry viewers... I got a 300TDI that needs fixing first! Replacing a cracked head, timing belt, rings, bottom end etc All being done on the front lawn and times are tough ! DR's on my mind so stay tuned...

I'll be recoing the Marzocchi Magnum 50's next, then deciding whether to replace or regrease the swingarm and linkage bearings. Does anybody have the bearing part numbers for these so I could suss out what the wholesaler would charge for them?

cheers - btw Mezo, bummer about your FCR. although there was a guy who posted on MX-ROBs TT thread that insisted on using a smaller FCR carb.

DR650SE ('97) current project
CBR954 ('03) daily ride
CBR900 ('96) the 'ol days
CR250 ('03), 125 ('89), 80 ('85) the 'ol days
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
NOSIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #17
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSIGN
then deciding whether to replace or regrease the swingarm and linkage bearings. Does anybody have the bearing part numbers for these so I could suss out what the wholesaler would charge for them?
Replace. replace, replace

Numbers are on any online fiche, ive seen Procycle selling them on his site, i know Yoss replaced his ones & im 100% doing mine.

Mezo
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Watching with interest... I have an '02 DR with some of the usual additions (FMF, DJ kit, etc) but seeing this, Mezo's, Lukas', and DisTech's build threads has me itching to rip that yellow beast down to the frame and farkle the crap out of it!

Quote:
... then deciding whether to replace or regrease the swingarm and linkage bearings. Does anybody have the bearing part numbers for these so I could suss out what the wholesaler would charge for them?
Just in case you need a retail comparison price... Jeff @ Procycle has swingarm and linkage bearing kits near the bottom of the suspension section of the DR650 page of his site.

Keep the updates coming!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #19
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood
but seeing this, Mezo's, Lukas', and DisTech's build threads has me itching to rip that yellow beast down to the frame and farkle the crap out of it!
Another addition to the wall me thinks

A Canadian DR build

Its all Lukas`s fault.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Thanks GISdood. Go-on tear your bike apart and rip into it! I can tell ya wanna! MEzo will even imortalise ya on his wall! I'm gonna take the old bearings out and see how many I can buy from a bearing shop, or get a quote for the originals. Do you know if Jeff's at procycle are Japanese made bearings?

Hopefully if I can get a couple of O rings tomo I'll post some pics of the front fork dis/assembly.

They are Marzocchi Magnum 50 (50mm) conventional front forks. A big thanks to fellow inmate "Clarkey" who posted the original instruction manual for the forks on another thread. Caflash had a few negative comments regarding the Magnums (and i've heard similar comments from KTM riders), however I have noticed that they are a popular fork with some BMW and Honda riders, and from the 0.5hr that I've ridden on them (on the KTM) they felt really good.

A problem that I'm gonna have is finding/ making a caliper relocator bracket to attach to the forks. The bracket bolt-bolt spacing is 65mm, where as newer forks (newer relocator brackets) have a bigger spacing. I would like to run a 300, 310 or 320mm disc rotor with the original 2 pot Brembo caliper.

Once I get the forks dialled and am happy with em, I'll be selling the original Suzuki forks, recently rebuilt with racetech spring kit from VSM + the front wheel x 2. Actually if anybody needs a front wheel, I have one available for pickup in Brisbane - originally from a '96 DR350.

Pics to come...

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #21
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

this is going to be a long thread!

I disassembled the compression fork leg and fu#@ed it! Before I touched it the compression adjuster (clicker) made the fork hardly compressible when static. Now I rotate clockwise or anti and nothing... no compression damping!

I pulled it apart and found a few mistakes... can anybody comment on what I may have done wrong? Obviously I am no expert!

A few pics of todays work -
The correct way to install the check nut against the plug. Thread on the nut should be at the top of fork. According to the instruction manual, this plug should be tightened against the plug to 30Nm torque.
The floating piston assembly disassembled and assembly follows...
Cap goes first, with the 13mm "shim" facing towards the bottom of the fork - towards the shims.
Three shims installed - from the top of the fork, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm.

Valve Pin next - pretty sure it is facing the right way. Recessed holes are exit holes at the top I believe.
Floating piston and nut installed yet to be tightened. The nut tightens onto the valve pin and stops is from rotating. I dont know if it is meant to do this, but i think it is, in order for the shims to work.
Floating piston assembly tightened. The "float" distance is measured as 2.9mm
All assembled with new Orings but blank... no effect when clickers clicked : !
I wonder why?

At least the rebound leg is under control!

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 10-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #22
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

OK adventurers, sorry to have lagged on this build project. I hope some are still tuned in.

Things i've done since the last time i was here: (pictures later, cause Im away from the camera)

1. Polished the swing arm - I removed the bearings and started using the home drill and dremel. I used the typical recommended coarse, medium, fine paper and it was really taking me ages (like two weeks of on and off work). I got fed up and took it to a metal polish dude in Airport West. I must admit, that I would have never got it polished like he did. It cost me about $120 i think. (pics to come)

2. re-assembled swing arm and attached to frame and OHLINS shock and Vince Strang 8kg spring.

3. bought a set of WP48's to match my '04 125SX wheel without adapters, bushes etc. I will also not have to remake a caliper adapter for my 320mm motomaster disc and 4 pot caliper by using these forks. (The Marzochi 50mm and triples will be for sale in about two weeks if anybody is interested?! - they are ready to be put on a DR, using DR bearings. youll need a KTM wheel though - make an offer)

4. DISCOVERED SANDBLASTING! I discovered the sand blaster at work and have been going sick with it! I blasted all my rusted and dirty bolts, calipers, master cylinders etc. If it fit, it got blasted!

5. Bought an 18" cush drive rear wheel from a DR350 1996 (or 7) model.

6. Bought a steel rear 48 tooth sprocket, front 14 and 15 teeth (520 conversion), and circlips for quick countershaft sprocket change.

7. RK XSO 120 link chain. I read on a site that the tensile stregth of the RK chain is about 9200 lb, in comparison to the DID VM X ring of about 6500lb. If you google, "the truth about chains", you should find the site I was looking at. I thought that the RK was a better deal since it uses the X ring tech, and has a higher tensile strength.

8. That's about it i think. I will post pics when I next connect the camera to the PC. Now i'm going back to the shed to revive the DR!

I hope there's still interest in this thread!k

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #23
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Still subscribed and watching your progress. My own poor DR has been pretty much neglected the last year. I'll probably keep it around in case I get motivated by the numerous cool DR builds going on, though.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #24
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:

5. Bought an 18" cush drive rear wheel from a DR350 1996 (or 7) model.

Is this a simple bolt on, or will there be a bit of butcher-ing involved?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #25
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Lukas! You are omnipresent man! Thanks for sticking it out with this thread. I hope the final product will get your DR out again.

Fubars - straight bolt-on mate, just make sure the 350 is a cush drive as some models were direct drive.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Cheers. Carry on.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
7. RK XSO 120 link chain. I read on a site that the tensile stregth of the RK chain is about 9200 lb, in comparison to the DID VM X ring of about 6500lb. If you google, "the truth about chains", you should find the site I was looking at. I thought that the RK was a better deal since it uses the X ring tech, and has a higher tensile strength.
I got 8500km out of my first 525 RK XSO and on one ride it stretched 3 notches on the adjuster. I think water got in past the seals.
The second one lasted 17000km.

Now running an RK EXW in 520 as I was told it "was total overkill for your bike and you won't be able to fcuk this one".
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #28
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
I got 8500km out of my first 525 RK XSO and on one ride it stretched 3 notches on the adjuster. I think water got in past the seals.
The second one lasted 17000km.
That's interesting Nordie. I hope mine lasts more than 8.5K! Do you remember what sprocket combo you were using? Do you lube?

Here are some pics...

swingarm pre-polished
[IMG][/IMG]

Swingarm home-job polish

Installing bearings using old bearings and sockets...

Swingarm pro-polished and installed with new bearings, seals and some bushes. I reckon it's worth paying a metal polisher to polish the swingarm if you're going to do it. I wanted Japanese made bearings in the swingarm, so i didnt use the all balls kit.

Typically, most bearings have "Suzuki dimensions" and I had no choice but to go OEM, i.e. $$$. I was able to fit some non-OEM bearings in the cush-link and i'll post those bearing numbers for reference in the future ( i dont have them on me at the moment). The total cost for bearings, seals and a bush or two ended up costing about the same as an all balls Chinese kit when I included some the suitable non-OEM (still Japanese) bearings.

Note the sandblasted & rebuilt caliper and OHLINS shock. The floating caliper was siezed on it's pins before the rebuild. I had a hard time separating the caliper from its bracket! I remember that the bike was heavy to push around in neutral and the rear brake wan't too good! Remember to silicone grease your pins when rebuilding your own caliper.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days

NOSIGN screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 06:55 AM
Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #29
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

le OHLINS! Finally, compression, rebound and preload adjustment!

To fit the Ohlins shock, I had a new set of bushes made up at the top of the shock, to where it joins to the frame. The bushes are wider than the stock DR and KTM bushes.

I also had to use a 1mm spacer on each side of the attachement between the shock and cushion link.

But there is a problem! anybody spot it?

I have fitted (term used loosely) the heavier weight 8kg rate spring that I bought from Vince Strang motorcycles. I previously used this spring on my DR shock. It was better than stock for my weight. Since the spring is made for the DR shock, the adjuster nut on the OHLINS shock doesnt 'cup' the spring exactly.

For now, i'll see how I go. It looks sturdy enought. At some point in the future, I'll either try and get an adjuster nut to fit, revert to the OHLINS std rate spring, or buy a heavier spring to fit.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days

NOSIGN screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 06:53 AM
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #30
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Sand blasted sprocket carrier...

I used a metal filler to block the steering lock hole in the steerer tube on the triples. If I had left this open, water and crud could get through the hollow steerer and into the head stem.

This pic is of the 1997 Zokes and steerer. I plan to do the same on my '03 WP's that should be arriving this week! Anybody want to buy a rebuilt set of Zokes?

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days

NOSIGN screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 08:43 PM