Oddometer: 616
Welcome back!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #32
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSIGN
That's interesting Nordie. I hope mine lasts more than 8.5K! Do you remember what sprocket combo you were using? Do you lube?
Probably 14/43 and a Scottoiler.

The sprockets weren't the issue however as I just put the new chain on the old sprockets and got double the distance out of them.

I've never hit the chain directly with the water blaster but it must have got some water past the seals anyway. I haven't used the water blaster on a bike since...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #33
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
just split me cases... pics to come

DR650SE ('97) current project
CBR954 ('03) daily ride
CBR900 ('96) the 'ol days
CR250 ('03), 125 ('89), 80 ('85) the 'ol days
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
NOSIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #34
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSIGN View Post
just split me cases... pics to come
I have to do mine this weekend as well. Already have the flywheel puller and case splitter, but I am missing that special tool for the crank nut. I heard a dull chisel might work if I am very careful, how did you do it?

Cheers

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #35
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

... The left hand thread nut on the clutch side came off with a pneumatic socket tool and as for the rotor side... i left the nut on! I was going to take it to suzuki to undo and replace my conrod while they were at it but I was in the shed having a look and by accident noticed that the cases will split without taking that special nut off. voila.

PS
I did try the dull chisel/ punch method first but the nut wasnt coming undone and I decided to abort before I wrecked something.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #36
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

my DR

I finally completed my project bike. Well, complete enough to take it for a test run. There are a few mods that need to be done over the next few weekends or so. Did a suburb then freeway run to make sure nothing was going to fall off, then I got it pretty dirty in the quarry. Ive realized that after two or three years stagnation, I need to find the balance of the bike and hone my riding skills!

Ive been too busy to blog the progress on my build up link but I promise to get it updated at some stage.

its nice to be back in the club. Ill take a pic tommo.

The DR is the epitome of obsessive impulse buys triggered by this website, and in particular Lucas! Every nut and bolt has been off this bike and reassembled.

essential reading: KTM 525SX WP forks, 320mm motomaster rotor, 4 pot caliper, vapor speedo, G2610 GPS, Highway Dirt Bikes handguards & mirrors, ktm switches, protaper bars, heated grips, pivot pegz, various case and frame protectors, safari tank, gsxr mod with 2 bros middie, header grind, led conversion, xr250 baja twin headlamps, fcr-mx 39, ohlins shock, 8kg shock spring, 18" DR350 rear wheel, webcam 225 grind, JE HC piston kit, and to come... ciggie adapter &led headlight project!

I've ridden the bike before and after every mod at each stage, and by far the greatest improvement in my opinion was the fcr-mx carb as described by MX ROB.

Peace out and thanks for all the info on ADV Rider!

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days

NOSIGN screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 07:12 AM
Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #37
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Just found your build thread. Seems like you found the steering head bearing issue like I did. LukasM and Mezo do have something to answer for, these DRs get to you don't they? Be great to see the rest of the build.

Steve
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #38
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

this is a bit like skipping to the end of the movie, so if you dont wanna see, dont look.

Thx Bergdonk - just looking through your thread now. What do you think of my front end solution?

cockpit

right side

left side

front side

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #39
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,585
holy shit

thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #40
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thx Bergdonk - just looking through your thread now. What do you think of my front end solution?
Looks the part. I found it interesting that you spotted the issue with the head race bearings. Still dunno how LukasM has got away with it, just lucky? How much longer are the forks than the stock ones? Mine were 45 mm.

What brake caliper and disc are you using? I thought about something like this, and even have a Brembo caliper in the shed, but fitting the DR stuff was straightforward and cheap for me and with the 10 mm Brembo master cylinder works OK.

I also like real lights. I'm trying to get away with a ebay H4 HID conversion and some LED accessory lights which are OK if I can keep them working. Don't you hate intermittent electrical problems? Gotta sort this this week.

Steve
Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #41
jaywoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
DANG! That's one tasty looking bush pig
jaywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #42
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Looks the part. I found it interesting that you spotted the issue with the head race bearings. Still dunno how LukasM has got away with it, just lucky? How much longer are the forks than the stock ones? Mine were 45 mm.

What brake caliper and disc are you using? I thought about something like this, and even have a Brembo caliper in the shed, but fitting the DR stuff was straightforward and cheap for me and with the 10 mm Brembo master cylinder works OK.

I also like real lights. I'm trying to get away with a ebay H4 HID conversion and some LED accessory lights which are OK if I can keep them working. Don't you hate intermittent electrical problems? Gotta sort this this week.

Steve
Howdy Steve,

dunno about the fork length. I wrote it down once when I was enthusiastic, but lost it over a couple of years. I'll do a measure and check next opprtunity.

I reckon Lukas was lucky to get away with the bearing issue. The bearing wholesalers identified the different taper angle for me immediately, but I also noticed myself by eyeballing it. I did what I had to do to use the same race and bearing throughout the stem.

The brake caliper and disc is the supermoto kit from Motomaster. It's a 320mm by 5mm disc and 4 pot fixed caliper. I got an unreal deal from Ebay, local guy named Steve near Riddels Creek in Vic. He owns a bike shop or similar and I can probably dig up the details somewhere. I think I paid $450 for the disc, caliper, pads, and relocater bracket. I've seen the kits go for over $1000 elsewhere.

The braking is phenomenal! On road, it's almost as good as my fireblade. Much better than the inadequate stock setup. So far on the dirt it's good too - but I definately need to get myseld aquinted with it.

I'm not a machinest like you, so I had to create a work around to the 21" wheel - caliper spacing. I did it a bit differently than documented on ADV ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271702 ) so far it works well. I'll describe the method one day in my build blog, but if you're (or anyone else) are ever in a hurry, i'll post the details.

The lights are from a HOnda 250 XR Baja. So far I like them very much but the downside is that I presume that I can only buy the globes at Honda, and they are not common. Also, I'm sure I couldnt find replacement for them easily if I wrecked the headlights. I too used relays and connected them direct to the battery. I think I paid about $300 for the light on ebay a few years ago. I would probably buy a twin HID if I were to do it again, despite the Baja's producing god light.

I'm building a 6 LED light at the moment. I may use it on the DR as a backup light. It should be very bright but dunno yet if it will be very useable. We will see.

Cheers for you comments.

Love the decription in your build up page.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days

NOSIGN screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 07:41 AM Reason: link to disc setup
Old 05-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #43
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
How much longer are the forks than the stock ones? Mine were 45 mm.
The forks that I'm using are originally from an '03 525 SX. Model: WP 4850 MXMA 1418X727. I estimate that they are 40-45mm longer than the stock DR forks.

XXX " It's interesting that your Ohlins rear shock caused the linkage to bind on the swing arm. My Ohlins is from a 97 Kato 300 EGS and yep, its close but there is no bind. Your mate Frank sounds like he knows what he's doing, I may send my shock for a rebuild there and get an 8kg spring to fit. My 8kg spring isnt the best fit (not-Ohlins)." xxx comment retracted

I fitted the 18" Dr350 wheel and 520 chain conversion setup today. 15 teeth on the counter sprocket, and 48 on the main sprocket. I had a circlip prepared for the countersprocket, but decided to use the stock retainer plate and nylon washer. I felt that the counter sprocket could move too far along the shaft without the reatiner plate. It would be interesting to hear how much movement other guys have who use the circlip only.

No real ride tests apart from a quick blat up and down the street. smileys say it all.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days

NOSIGN screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 07:22 AM Reason: forgot about the wheel!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #44
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

THUMPIDIDUMP - love your comment thxs!

Berngdonk - i take back my comment wrt the linkage binding with the Ohlins shock. I had to grind the linkage 'seem' for clearance.

The 15/48 sprocket combo launches in the dirt but is too short for the road IMHO. I top out at about 135kmhr-1 on the road with all the permorfmance mods, 18" rear wheel and a full set of mx knobbies.

CBR954 ('03) daily ride
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #45
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
THUMPIDIDUMP - love your comment thxs!

Berngdonk - i take back my comment wrt the linkage binding with the Ohlins shock. I had to grind the linkage 'seem' for clearance.

The 15/48 sprocket combo launches in the dirt but is too short for the road IMHO. I top out at about 135kmhr-1 on the road with all the permorfmance mods, 18" rear wheel and a full set of mx knobbies.
I'm happy with 15/46 with the 18". Others with DR650s in my circle have settled on 15/43 with stock 17", which is close enough to the same. Its a good compromise for everywhere, but a lower first and taller top would be nice, like a 6spd would offer......

Don't forget to play with the clickers, but document what you do so you can go back if you mess it up. Lots of variables to play with now, have fun.

Steve