ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #181
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Wr250r?

Edgy was spotted today shopping for a new WR250R Yamaha.
Do you do the deal?
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #182
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
Edgy was spotted today shopping for a new WR250R Yamaha.
Do you do the deal?
I did, already up to 16 whole miles on it! Been reading "break in" threads and wondering why the preferred methods on these boards don't resemble the manufactures method in any way shape or form. Think I'm going to putt up to Snowpeak in the morning...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #183
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
I did, already up to 16 whole miles on it! Been reading "break in" threads and wondering why the preferred methods on these boards don't resemble the manufactures method in any way shape or form. Think I'm going to putt up to Snowpeak in the morning...
That's one sweet bike.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing when I broke in my DRZ. Obviously, these youngsters know much more than the factory engineers. I followed the manufacturer's instructions, painful as it was.
I attempted snow peak a while back & ran into a bunch of locked gates out of Lacomb. I talked to some locals & they said that they thought that the road that took off to Snow peak from the little town of Jordan was not gated.
If you want some company on your ride, let me know. I am going to try & get rolling around 7:30. --
Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #184
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

I think I'm going to do a combo method, load and unload the engine, vary the Rs and change oil frequently, that's what I did for the 800 and it seems ok. If you take 226 out of Scio then Camp Morrison road, then look for a right turn to a small flat brige, vague I know, you can get there, no gates involved. Went up a few weeks ago. I'm gonna wait till later though, going to pick up oil/filter and change it before I go. Tomorrow or next week I'm all in again though

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #185
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

OK, no problem. Will catch you next ride.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #186
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Cascade 150 route

Yesterday I made a solo run on the first 82 miles of this, Lyons to Detroit. It is open & clear. First time using roll chart directions & I only made one wrong turn. It was fun but when you get 30 miles out in the sticks by yourself you start thinking about crashing & breaking an arm or something. I did not see a single person on ANY of the gravel FS roads. I will definitely be signing up for the upcoming DS group rides.
All in all a 200+ mile day -- I was beat.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #187
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

That sounds like fun, if you go again, I'm in. The only thing is, I went for my first real ride today, on the 250, and found I have a range of about 85 miles before the low fuel warning light goes on. When I fueled I think there was roughly a half gallon left in it...so a realistic range of about 100 miles for now. But it's a lot of fun, more fun than trying to keep Gigantor upright on the same trails. Not nearly as fun on the pavement though. Trade offs. I think I made it to Snow Peak, it was a peak anyway...or a rock wall...here's a couple of pix.

If you read through these boards enough, you'll stumble across a referance to a monkey doing something to a football, Im sure I look like that on this bike, but I don't care, it's fun...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #188
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That sounds like fun, if you go again, I'm in. The only thing is, I went for my first real ride today, on the 250, and found I have a range of about 85 miles before the low fuel warning light goes on. When I fueled I think there was roughly a half gallon left in it...so a realistic range of about 100 miles for now.

Ok, I may be able to go next weekend if things work out.
I did a little online research & Aqualine out of Australia makes a bigger tank for the WR250R. It is pricy, about $440.00 + shipping, & it only holds 3.35 gallons. Here is a link -
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=796340

I am sure that Clarke will be coming out with a version soon, it HAS to be cheaper than that!

If you read through these boards enough, you'll stumble across a referance to a monkey doing something to a football, Im sure I look like that on this bike, but I don't care, it's fun...
Yeah, I just bought my 11 yr old daughter a '04 TTR90E Yamaha for her birthday... of course I had to test ride it. My wife said I looked like one of those Shriners in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.
She rode it today for the first time & did pretty good for her first time on a bike. Well, except almost putting it in the swimming pool....
Oh & of course it has an ADV decal on the back fender.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #189
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Cry

Sweet Mother Of God, I think Salem is going melt...bump.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #190
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Corvallis is melting

Saw the reader board temp at Peoria road on Hwy 34 saying 103°F. It felt like a blast furnace riding 34 east to my house.

Three different cages were stopped along the road with the hood up. I stopped for the one full of college girls in sun dresses. I was no help tho... they had called gramma and my two drinking water bottles were no where enough for their Volvo.

I tried to help, but did enjoy talking with them... nice view.

So hot at work today, that one of the AC's quit and popped the breaker. The rest of them seemed to handle the load OK. and we'll get to replace the bad one with a spare tomorrow. It was in the storage room and we do have a spare, but takes 4 guys to lift it up into the hole in the wall. Maybe the crane could be used with a sling.

Will be filling the wading pool out back of the house to cool off. Maybe even get the BBQ going.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #191
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
I think I'm going to do a combo method, load and unload the engine, vary the Rs and change oil frequently, that's what I did for the 800 and it seems ok.
That is best. Those rings need to be seated. My KTM 950 was broke in easy by the first owner. It has around 10,000 miles on it and already is using some oil.

The reason the manufacturers say to break them in easy is they don't want you hurting yourself and then suing them. They are not so concerned about how long the motor will last.
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #192
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Weekend ride?

Getting a new set of TKC80's for my DRZ today (I do more street & FS roads than trails) - hoping that this will be the ticket for gravel. The stock trailwings were great on the pavement, but not so good on loose surfaces.
Edgy - I should be free for a ride tomorrow if you want to go somewhere, I will be itching to test these new tires out!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #193
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

I would like to, but I'm workig this weekend up in Newhalem WA. I'm booked till next weekend, then I'll be amped to go. Enjoy those tires, so far I'm digging mine on Gigantor

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #194
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I would like to, but I'm workig this weekend up in Newhalem WA. I'm booked till next weekend, then I'll be amped to go. Enjoy those tires, so far I'm digging mine on Gigantor
OK, I should be recovered from today's venture by next weekend.
I broke the TKC's in with a ride on the backroads down to Sweet Home, then up Quartsville road (USFS 11) past Foster & Green Peter reservors, then cut off to the left over the hills behind Detroit lake to test out the gravel-worthyness of the tires & popped out on Blowout road (pavement).
Made the short drive West into the town of Detroit & made a right turn up the Brietenbush road to the cutoff road over to Olallie lake. Went up the road a bit & found a nice shady spot for my sack lunch. By then it was getting to be early afternoon & I decided bag it & head for home. Must have seen 100 bikes of various types up there, but oddly no other dual sporters.
The only other excitement was the PRICK with no brake lights that decided to stop & look at some farm equipment in action just outside of Scio. I can attest to the stopping ablility of the TKC's - they hold the road rather well from 60 to zero, though I think I crapped my pants in the process.
All in all, I put 236 miles on the new tires & I was pleased with their performance. That Clarke tank really gives the DRZ some cruising range- I did not even have to switch over to the reserve fuel! --
Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #195
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Sounds like you wore the "100 mile" squirmy warning thing on new tires off, thats great. I wish I had that kind of range on Tiny, but am still weighing my options for carrying extra fuel. I was reading in the PDX meet up thread about a road of myth and legend that leads to Badger lake, have you ever been up there? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...15344&page=687 I'm thinking about trying that if I ever get out of Newhalem.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec