ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #196
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
Sounds like you wore the "100 mile" squirmy warning thing on new tires off, thats great. I wish I had that kind of range on Tiny, but am still weighing my options for carrying extra fuel. I was reading in the PDX meet up thread about a road of myth and legend that leads to Badger lake, have you ever been up there? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...15344&page=687 I'm thinking about trying that if I ever get out of Newhalem.
Never been to Badger lake - I did a Google map search & looks like it would be a pretty good ride on mostly paved forest service roads from Detroit. I might be able to do it on Sunday. I think that for you, Tiny would not be an option due to fuel range. The fuel injection really limits add-on tank options as the fuel pump is in the tank. Probably your best bet for added range would be getting a decent tail rack & fitting it with some kind of fuel cell or something. I see that Kolpin makes one that has a nice mounting bracket so it won't come flying off.
Would guess that you are stuck with riding Gigantor if you want to go any distance. Wow, that is rough.
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #197
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
An add on cell is what I want, the whole idea behind the R2 is light and small. A BMX with a engine. The mechanic at work is gonna fab a cell out of some substation buss, made some for the MXer's, tough as nails. Hang as a counter balance to the exhaust can.

If we go to Badger, we need to take that rocky road so we can make fun of the PDXer's

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #198
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
An add on cell is what I want, the whole idea behind the R2 is light and small. A BMX with a engine. The mechanic at work is gonna fab a cell out of some substation buss, made some for the MXer's, tough as nails. Hang as a counter balance to the exhaust can.

If we go to Badger, we need to take that rocky road so we can make fun of the PDXer's
Nice. How many gallons will it hold?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #199
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
Nice. How many gallons will it hold?
Thats the ticket, right now what is available...read laying around, is either too big, or too small. This material comes in as scrap and is in different diameters, what I want is about a foot long by 5 inches around? and holds about 1.2 gallons...ok, thats whats been built before and I like how it looks, hangs on the bikes. I just need to wait to some more comes in... . It is only a cell, not a feeder or anything to the main tank...hillbillies with aluminum welding skills

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #200
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thats the ticket, right now what is available...read laying around, is either too big, or too small. This material comes in as scrap and is in different diameters, what I want is about a foot long by 5 inches around? and holds about 1.2 gallons...ok, thats whats been built before and I like how it looks, hangs on the bikes. I just need to wait to some more comes in... . It is only a cell, not a feeder or anything to the main tank...hillbillies with aluminum welding skills
Pro Moto makes a really nice quality rack for the WR250R & it looks good too.
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id/474

I have a Pro Moto on the DRZ & it has a bunch of unthreaded holes that are just begging to be tapped to 6mm. A hillbilly with welding skills could fab some sort of a quick release mount to hold the custom tank & you could postition mounting flanges on it so it could be bolted to the rack. That way you could remove the fuel cell & all if you did not want or need to carry it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #201
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I was reading in the PDX meet up thread about a road of myth and legend that leads to Badger lake, have you ever been up there? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...15344&page=687 I'm thinking about trying that if I ever get out of Newhalem.
Badger lake Saturday? Would like to leave really early so we can get back at around 3~4pm. Cedar's in Detroit would be a great breakfast stop on the way up.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #202
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Badger lake Saturday? Would like to leave really early so we can get back at around 3~4pm. Cedar's in Detroit would be a great breakfast stop on the way up.

Barring anymore screwups at Newhalem I'm in. I hope I am out of here today, never to return.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #203
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Barring anymore screwups at Newhalem I'm in. I hope I am out of here today, never to return.
Great. Will give the Black bastard a once over tonight. Would a 5am start time be too early? I reallly need to get back in the early afternoon.
You gonna ride Gigantor?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #204
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Would liked to have joined you for the Badger Lake ride, but I'm in Spokane right now and heading into Idaho in a few hours.

Weather is kinda strange over here for our summer vacation as it was raining with thunder and lightning last night

Take pix

Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #205
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Great. Will give the Black bastard a once over tonight. Would a 5am start time be too early? I reallly need to get back in the early afternoon.
You gonna ride Gigantor?
By 5am I trust you mean 6am...? Kidding, I can roll out of Salem at 5, and meet at the diner in Detroit? I haven't been out on a real ride for about a month so I can make it, let me know. We can adjust destinations too, if need be. I think I'll be riding Gigantor, since Tiny still has issues that need addressing, mainly fuel and the bash plate isn't here yet. Besides, it said in the Official BMW Manual that it should be ridden at least once a month, otherwise the battery will go dead. Go figure...seems like they could have put a sensor in their somewhere that would prevent that.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #206
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar-Dave
Would liked to have joined you for the Badger Lake ride, but I'm in Spokane right now and heading into Idaho in a few hours.

Weather is kinda strange over here for our summer vacation as it was raining with thunder and lightning last night

Take pix

Dave
Watch what you say about Spokane Dave, your speaking to a native here...kidding, hope you have fun in the whole "Inland Empire" area

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #207
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
By 5am I trust you mean 6am...? Kidding, I can roll out of Salem at 5, and meet at the diner in Detroit? .
Well, we both live on the good end of town, why don't we meet @ Liberty road inn at 5:30am & leave from there?
I don't relish riding on hwy 22 any more than I have to, so I would prefer to take the backroads up to Gates & then hop on 22 up to Detroit, if that's OK with you.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #208
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Well, we both live on the good end of town, why don't we meet @ Liberty road inn at 5:30am & leave from there?
I don't relish riding on hwy 22 any more than I have to, so I would prefer to take the backroads up to Gates & then hop on 22 up to Detroit, if that's OK with you.
Sounds good, I'll be there.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #209
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Err,I think this has been asked and answered before, but where is Liberty Road Inn. I Googled it, and came up with this address

2653 Commercial St SE
Rememeber, i drive a truck for a living, which means I'm always lost

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #210
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Err,I think this has been asked and answered before, but where is Liberty Road Inn. I Googled it, and came up with this address

2653 Commercial St SE
Rememeber, i drive a truck for a living, which means I'm always lost
It's on the corner of Liberty road & Hrubetz. Across the street from the sunnyslope center (Roth's). Possibly called South Liberty road bar & grill. They changed the name.... See you there!