ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #211
miah66
Pathfinder

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
By 5am I trust you mean 6am...? Kidding, I can roll out of Salem at 5, and meet at the diner in Detroit? I haven't been out on a real ride for about a month so I can make it, let me know. We can adjust destinations too, if need be. I think I'll be riding Gigantor, since Tiny still has issues that need addressing, mainly fuel and the bash plate isn't here yet. Besides, it said in the Official BMW Manual that it should be ridden at least once a month, otherwise the battery will go dead. Go figure...seems like they could have put a sensor in their somewhere that would prevent that.
Badger Lake ride? Cool. I was there a few weeks ago in my 4x4. Wow! Rocks and more rocks! VERY rough in the truck, cool road though.
miah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #212
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by miah66
Badger Lake ride? Cool. I was there a few weeks ago in my 4x4. Wow! Rocks and more rocks! VERY rough in the truck, cool road though.
Great, just the kind of road we were looking for.
The road that went into Elk lake off of the Brietenbush used to be like that, years ago-- went up there last year & it's like a damn freeway.... they "fixed" it. Anybody else wants to go, we should be hitting Detroit around 6:45~7am.
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #213
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Pictures gentlemen
Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #214
miah66
Pathfinder

Yes, lets see hear about the ride!

As originator of the Badger Lake thread, I want to know how it went!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar-Dave
Pictures gentlemen
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #215
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
As originator of the Badger Lake thread, I want to know how it went!
Welllll...funny you should ask! We never quite made it there. We left early, had a giant breakfast at Ceders in Detroit, sorry, no pix . We left the restNrant about 8, we did some decent riding, but time became an issue. So we turned tail and headed for home, via some decent back roads that included a rocky road from hell...big fun, out of Ollalalalalalie Lake, Skyline if I remember correctly. Anyways, I'm going to try again, but this time its going to be a frontal assault, across from Timberline, or some major landmark on Hood. The ranger at the museum said that is the most difficult/gnarly/are you boys on DuelSports...? Route I think next weekend is looking good, so far work has me back in town by Thursday, which means Friday. So Saturday morn, I'm off going the back way to Hood from Salem.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #216
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Welllll...funny you should ask! We never quite made it there. We left early, had a giant breakfast at Ceders in Detroit, sorry, no pix . We left the restNrant about 8, we did some decent riding, but time became an issue. So we turned tail and headed for home, via some decent back roads that included a rocky road from hell...big fun, out of Ollalalalalalie Lake, Skyline if I remember correctly. Anyways, I'm going to try again, but this time its going to be a frontal assault, across from Timberline, or some major landmark on Hood. The ranger at the museum said that is the most difficult/gnarly/are you boys on DuelSports...? Route I think next weekend is looking good, so far work has me back in town by Thursday, which means Friday. So Saturday morn, I'm off going the back way to Hood from Salem.
Dang, I feel guilty for being a time scrooge....
The old ranger thought we were on crotch rockets & was kind of stand-offish until he found out that we were on dual sports.. even if one of us was one of those snooty guys on BMW's
Oh yeah, we were also outlaws too - a 17 year old "ranger" scolded us for riding on roads that were supposedly closed due to fire danger & then promptly drooled over Edgy's bike and sent us on our way....

Saturday you say? Hmmm.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #217
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Edgy,

If your heading up to Mt Hood on Saturday and you haven't already rode the "Barlow Trail" - it's a must do

Go here and follow Tom's instructions to print out the roll chart:

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/for...opic.php?t=445

You'll have a blast and it's suitable for bigger bikes too.

DD
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #218
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Hey Edgy,

If your heading up to Mt Hood on Saturday and you haven't already rode the "Barlow Trail" - it's a must do

DD

I saw the signs for that road last time I went over MT Hood, and wondered if it was a good ride, thanks for the link. I will try it. Maybe not this time, I have to conquer my "White Whale", the Badger Lake ride first. I will have to invest in a roll chart holder now, dang, farkles for 2 bikes, roll charts, helmets...I hope my money laundering business isn't raided till all this stuff is paid for

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #219
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Is this road the one that goes to Badger from highway 35? That's the one I want to try first, then crash and go the back way. The Ranger said it left the highway across from Timberline, or maybe Mountain Meadows, some significant area anyway. Remember., I'm a stranger in a strange land here.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #220
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
Dang, I feel guilty for being a time scrooge....

Saturday you say? Hmmm.
Naw, it was fun even though we didn't make Badger, exploring is what it's all about. I think I'm going to go directly to Hood the back way. Silverton, Estacada, Sandy. No major highways...till 26/35...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #221
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Naw, it was fun even though we didn't make Badger, exploring is what it's all about. I think I'm going to go directly to Hood the back way. Silverton, Estacada, Sandy. No major highways...till 26/35...
OK, I think I can make it - will know by tomorrow -gotta sweet talk the wife....
Will see if I can figure out the routing function on my Garmin & pre-load it in.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #222
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I saw the signs for that road last time I went over MT Hood, and wondered if it was a good ride, thanks for the link. I will try it. Maybe not this time, I have to conquer my "White Whale", the Badger Lake ride first. I will have to invest in a roll chart holder now, dang, farkles for 2 bikes, roll charts, helmets...I hope my money laundering business isn't raided till all this stuff is paid for
I got a spare roll chart holder you can borrow - pm me if you need it.

Dave
Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #223
miah66
Pathfinder

Quote:
Is this road the one that goes to Badger from highway 35? That's the one I want to try first, then crash and go the back way. The Ranger said it left the highway across from Timberline, or maybe Mountain Meadows, some significant area anyway. Remember., I'm a stranger in a strange land here.
Yes, the road leaves from 35...I took FS48 to 4890 to 4891, then follow 3550 (pavement ends) to 4860. 4860 (gnarly rocks) to TR140 (more gnarly rocks). That'll get you there. Coming back, I took 3550 all the way around to 35 and Bennett Pass and you're back on the slab.

Some pretty awesome rock slides and downed tree sections, but completely passable and well traveled back around mid July. If it's hot, take your swimming gear and enjoy the lake! It's beautiful.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #224
miah66
Pathfinder

Quote:
Hey Edgy,

DD
Ran this road back in June in a Jeep. There were downed trees that I had to maneuver around.... Good thing it was a rental! I had that baby off the trail in the middle of the woods rolling over old dead trees and rocks to get around all the blockages. There were 4 of them within a 1/2 mile section! I hope they went through and got rid of them by now...still easier to do on a bike. Once we got through the blockages, the road from the dry side was clear, except for some yahoos camping. Lots of mosquitoes in that creek valley. I bet it would be fun on a bike. I think you guys should link this ride up w/ your badger lake ride. The roads are close to each other from Hwy 35.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #225
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
OK, it is official. I am in. No time restrictions this ride. What time do we leave town?