ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #226
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
OK, it is official. I am in. No time restrictions this ride. What time do we leave town?
How about 7 from the Inn? We can have brunch later in the morning, yes I said BRUNCH, in keeping with the BMW owners guide to snooty behavior...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #227
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
How about 7 from the Inn? We can have brunch later in the morning, yes I said BRUNCH, in keeping with the BMW owners guide to snooty behavior...
OK. 7am it is. The weather forecast shows just a 10% chance of rain & high temps 79 here & approx 65 at our destination. Perfect.
Changed the oil & lubed the chain up last night. I'm ready!
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #228
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Talking Badger Lake

Ok, we did it. Off of highway 35 we took rd 48 to 4880 to Bonney Meadows/4891 to 3550/Bennet Pass. We kind of missed a split and went above Badger on the ridge, till the GPS's were pointing backwards saying "back their dummy" of course looking down and seeing the lake in the valley helped too. We back tracked to the last split and went on in the last couple of miles. It was a great ride. Lots more area to explore up there. On the "Official Mark Gnarliness Meter" the road rates a 4 out of a possible 10. As a day ride it rates a respectful 7 though. I'm glad we did it. We then went south on some road, till it turned to pavement, then hit 48 and 26, where I had to let dasvis know he had the map upside down. High speed pavement back to Detroit for a giant plate of food, at that point all the little creatures that were trying to impact on the bikes were looking tasty. We crossed or seen the Barlow road signs a few times and that is on the list of rides to do, to bad that list is growing faster than I can do them. Here is a couple of pics...

On Bonney Meadows road

Overlooking Badger Lake...

At the lake...

Then an "action" pic, dasvis didn't cooperate and crash, but still a good shot...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #229
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
Looks like you had a great ride.Is that the same area the Scardy Cat rally is going to be run? I'm all signed up by the way...E.
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #230
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erg59
Looks like you had a great ride.Is that the same area the Scardy Cat rally is going to be run? I'm all signed up by the way...E.

Well, it's the general area, probably 50 miles by road, same type of roads/terrain tho. We could easily do it Saturday. Cool beans about being signed up.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #231
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Badger

Here are a couple more pics....
badger lake water hazard 8-22-09
Edgy navigating a hairy water hazard (?)....
You WILL dump that thing one of these days, & yes, I will be there for photographic proof. It needs some battle scars anyway.....

Badger lake 8-22-09
Remote & desolate Badger lake. (please ignore the little kids on the raft...)

Was a great ride. 275+ miles. I expected the road into Badger to be a bit more challenging, though I suppose in a 4-wheeled vehicle it is a bit harder to navigate. Edgy is correct, Skyline road between Ollaie lake & USFS road 46 is WAY more knarly.
This fat old guy is still recovering, DRZ seats are made for scrawny little Japanese guys I guess. - I should be ready for the scaredy cat.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #232
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Cascade 150 - Detroit lake overlook

As I have finally figured out how to make photos show up, here's a picture of the viewpoint on the Cascade 150 route that I did solo back on 7/18/09.
This is Detroit lake, Oregon. That is Piety island there in the middle of the lake.
Cascade 150 Detroit lake overlook
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #233
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So then, 3pm counts as brunch?
I think you need to re-read that BMW manual.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #234
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
So then, 3pm counts as brunch?
I think you need to re-read that BMW manual.
Yeah, the Forest Service really needs to place "food pellet" dispensers out in the forests, maybe at remote Badger Lake we should have asked one of the kids on the raft if they could spare some food...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #235
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Congrats on making it to the allusive lake - So were there any "badgers" ?

So was it a hard ride ? - thought I had read it was a rutted rocky trail to get into it, but the pix show smooth gravel roads - just be nosey.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #236
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar-Dave
Congrats on making it to the allusive lake - So were there any "badgers" ?

So was it a hard ride ? - thought I had read it was a rutted rocky trail to get into it, but the pix show smooth gravel roads - just be nosey.
There were places that were a little rutted, but overall it was a cakewalk.
It is possible that the USFS has done a little work on the road, it looked like some evidence of cat work & possible graveling. Lots of downed trees (BIG ones) from last year's weather... they really must have spent a lot of time there just clearing those out.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #237
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Long day trip add-ons

The last couple of 200+ mile trips have included a fair amount of high speed pavement pounding to get to our destination & wind fatigue has really been beating me up. So- I did a little research for windscreens & came up with this: (see link) https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_167_175
Clean install & quickly removeable.
Edgy, if you are looking for a decent rack for that WR, they offer one that might be a good alternative to the drit bagz setup.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #238
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
The last couple of 200+ mile trips have included a fair amount of high speed pavement pounding to get to our destination & wind fatigue has really been beating me up. So- I did a little research for windscreens & came up with this: (see link) https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_167_175
Clean install & quickly removeable.
Edgy, if you are looking for a decent rack for that WR, they offer one that might be a good alternative to the drit bagz setup.

Thanks for the link, they have some interesting offerings. The rack, and the fuel cell...hmmmm

I think next weekend I'm taking Tiny up to Snow Peak, not an all day thing if you or anyone is interested. I thought that I had reached the top, but found out today you can actually get to the top, where there are some towers.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec

Edgy Drifter screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 05:02 PM
Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #239
miah66
Pathfinder

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
There were places that were a little rutted, but overall it was a cakewalk.
It is possible that the USFS has done a little work on the road, it looked like some evidence of cat work & possible graveling. Lots of downed trees (BIG ones) from last year's weather... they really must have spent a lot of time there just clearing those out.
Wow. They must've redone the road. Back around the 4th of July it was brutal, and it looked nothing like the road in the photos. Think "dry creek bed" for about 15 miles. 5 mph tops in a 4x4. Took every bit of 2 1/2 hours to drive in and 2 hours out via the northern route.

I'm still glad you guys did the road though. I wish I could've gone on that ride. I wouldn't mind meeting up for the Barlow Rd ride if you do it.

miah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #240
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the link, they have some interesting offerings. The rack, and the fuel cell...hmmmm

I think next weekend I'm taking Tiny up to Snow Peak, not an all day thing if you or anyone is interested. I thought that I had reached the top, but found out today you can actually get to the top, where there are some towers.
I'm busy on Sunday, but Saturday would be good. Count me in.