ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #241
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by miah66
I wouldn't mind meeting up for the Barlow Rd ride if you do it.

Barlow is on the "to do" list for sure before end of the summer.
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #242
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
Barlow is on the "to do" list for sure before end of the summer.

+1 to that, and I'm in for Saturday. 7am at the Inn?

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #243
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
+1 to that, and I'm in for Saturday. 7am at the Inn?
7am it is, see you there.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #244
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Snow peak ride 8/29

Weather looks like it will cooperate tomorrow. 30% chance of rain early AM, lowering to 10% mid-morning. My new rain gear just arrived - if I carry that it almost guarantees that it will not rain.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #245
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Quote:
Weather looks like it will cooperate tomorrow. 30% chance of rain early AM, lowering to 10% mid-morning. My new rain gear just arrived - if I carry that it almost guarantees that it will not rain.
Then bring the gear! The new bas plate is supossed to be here today, thereby guarantees I won't hit a rock... Err!?

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #246
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

New plate installed, along with rubber, ok, felt, spacers along the frame to deaden the vibration, sounds good, and looks like I good hit a rock and not destroy the case.Looks. Its raining so I guess the rain gear has not shown...? Some mud will be fun...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #247
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Snow Peak

Dasvis and I went up to Snow Peak Saturday. It was a good day for it, cleared off by mid morning. I had been to the peak before, I just didn't realize it. On the way back we went by a 4x4 with a flat and then back at the main road we saw the kid, he had spent the night up there after breaking his socket wrench trying to loosen the wheel nuts on his truck. His friends bailed on him, and he was waiting for his dad to show up. I had cell service so he called some people and we ran into his dad ten miles later and steered him in the right direction. Later back down in the low...err...lower lands dasvis had a flat tire and he had it repaired in record time, I lent a hand by making helpful suggestions and keeping a running commentary on his progress here's some pics...video later maybe, can't figure that out yet.

Just down from Snow Peak

Before tire removal

Dasvis showing his appreciation of my help

After

Only about 20-25 minutes for the repair, and my tire repair supplies should be here soon, lesson learned.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #248
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Only about 20-25 minutes for the repair, and my tire repair supplies should be here soon, lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was my first flat tire on the road since I started riding in 1980. Those Pro-Motion T6 combo axle nut wrench/tire irons were a lifesaver. Well worth the (substantial) investment. I may add another to the kit, as it would have been nice to have one more to pry the tire off with. I carried a spare 21" tube & it worked just fine as a temporary replacement for the 18" rear.
Also to add to kit - metal valve stem caps with valve core removers, more patches, a couple of valve stem retainer nuts & a couple of valve cores, hand cleaner, & a shop rag or two.
The CO2 inflator worked really well, but the kit came with only three CO2 cartridges. - it took two to get the tire inflated to a rideable state. I can see that if you were to pinch hole in the newly installed tube that this would be a huge problem... I will likely add a few more CO2 cartridges & possibly some sort of manual hand pump to the kit as well.
It got me thinking about my first aid kit too. I opened it up & found that was missing a lot of needed items.
This past thread on tool kits is really good if anyone needs help on deciding what to carry -- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
You can never be too prepared!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #249
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Scaredy cat dual sport ride

No riding this weekend for me - getting the bike cleaned up & ready for the scaredy cat coming up.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #250
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Scarey Cat next weekend

I'll see you at Scaredy Cat. I'll ride down Saturday afternoon from Parkdale (outside Hood River), gas up in Detroit before closing, and tent-it at Fox Creek. (Skyline Road 42 is a dumb ride in the dark)

I would love to do Barlow Road with a couple of other riders this Fall. That's almost in MY back yard (25 minute ride from home)

Nice to see your "Badger" pics. I've ridden to Badger Lake from Mt.Hood Meadows/Bennet Pass, down to the lake (past the "Terrible Traverse"), and then North to High Prairie and on to FS44 twice last year, when it was a "bad" road. It's kind of sad to hear it is now a good enough road for more minivans and crosssover city-boy cars to attemp to "conquer". The bad roads kept the traffic light.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #251
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Cool about coming to SC. I think that my brother and I are camping too. We'll have to get together, along with dasvis. The Barlow road ride is a "must do" we can figure out when maybe, and see if the Portland rider, miah can come. Look for people on a F800 and a KTM 640 and a DRZ 400 that will be us, or you could look for some old fat guys on bikes, but that could be confusing...

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Old 09-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #252
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

I'll be the guy with a big purple insulated mug (always enough room in the bags for ol' purple) full of whiskey & ice. Yes, I gladly share whiskey & ice; but BYO mug .

Two years ago at Scaredy Cat (I missed last year) a very nice rider on another DRZ400 (I think it was) showed this here (newly-gravel-virgin) the ropes of a DS rally. He had GPS, that made it feasable and faster to find stuff. He could out-ride me on ALL surfaces, with his "little" 400 and knobbies. I was so scared of my big orange bike, I'd only had it one week by then. 14,000 miles later, I still expect that DRZ400 to outride me, but at least I should be able to keep up this year!

I just got done with the 4-day Sasquatch DS ride from Hood River to Canada last weekend, so gravel and high speeds are still on my brain and other senses.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #253
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
Cool about coming to SC. I think that my brother and I are camping too. We'll have to get together, along with dasvis. The Barlow road ride is a "must do" we can figure out when maybe, and see if the Portland rider, miah can come. Look for people on a F800 and a KTM 640 and a DRZ 400 that will be us, or you could look for some old fat guys on bikes, but that could be confusing...
Hope I can make it Saturday evening, I have a wedding to attend that day. Will try to bug out early & make it up there. I would really like to attend the GPS instructional talk/demo that they are putting on ... Edgy, have you guys decided where you are camping yet?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #254
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejam
I'll be the guy with a big purple insulated mug (always enough room in the bags for ol' purple) full of whiskey & ice. Yes, I gladly share whiskey & ice; but BYO mug .

Two years ago at Scaredy Cat (I missed last year) a very nice rider on another DRZ400 (I think it was) showed this here (newly-gravel-virgin) the ropes of a DS rally. He had GPS, that made it feasable and faster to find stuff. He could out-ride me on ALL surfaces, with his "little" 400 and knobbies. I was so scared of my big orange bike, I'd only had it one week by then. 14,000 miles later, I still expect that DRZ400 to outride me, but at least I should be able to keep up this year!

I just got done with the 4-day Sasquatch DS ride from Hood River to Canada last weekend, so gravel and high speeds are still on my brain and other senses.
4 days in the saddle? Wow, sounds like a great trip - got any pics?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #255
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
4 days in the saddle? Wow, sounds like a great trip - got any pics?
Actually, It took 4 days to get to Canada (700+ miles, mostly dirt) and then I had to ride home on the fifth day from the border back to Parkdale. That was the real killer. I started out taking the long way home, still feeling good (and cocky), then paid big for it by having to ride the last stretch between Biggs and Hood River on Hwy 84 in the nastiest left/right gusty winds I've ever ridden in. AND AT NIGHT! Friggin' scary, that was. All the traffic was going faster than me, while I rode, fists cleched, at around 50mph.