ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #796
InTheSticks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Excellent news !!
Will ride up there in a few days and hopefully take 520 past Tumble Lake to the radio tower lookout over Detroit Lake :)
'04 KTM 200EXC (plated)
+ '07 Jeep Wrangler X (my 4 person quad, street legal too ...)
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #797
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMag View Post
I went up 2207 from the Little North Fork side yesterday (Friday). Met snow past Opal Lake but was able to easily get around it. One tree down over the crest on the Detroit side but that was also easily cleared on a bike. Roads are clear.
Confirmed!
Edgy & I made it over 2207 today. He had a little difficulty with the snow patch on his huge F800GS, but we were able to push it thru. Another week & it will be totally gone. Really nice day for a ride, stopped @ the Trio tavern in Mill city for an ice cold beverage - recommended stop, classic old school bar.

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #798
hailea
n00b

Oddometer: 5
One of these times I want to join you guys... Lived in Albany all my life but am newer to dirtbikes and what trails go where.

I'm looking for somwhere to ride that isn't full of 3-4" gravel

Adam
XT225
hailea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #799
InTheSticks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailea View Post
One of these times I want to join you guys... Lived in Albany all my life but am newer to dirtbikes and what trails go where.

I'm looking for somwhere to ride that isn't full of 3-4" gravel

Adam
XT225
Yes - you should come up to the Gates/Detroit area - lotsa nice firm gravel forestry roads.
I ride a dirtbike, but 90% of what I do could better be described as off road-touring with lotsa sightseeing thrown in.
(I hate 3-4" of gravel too......
'04 KTM 200EXC (plated)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #800
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post
Confirmed!
Edgy & I made it over 2207 today. He had a little difficulty with the snow patch on his huge F800GS, but we were able to push it thru. Another week & it will be totally gone. Really nice day for a ride, stopped @ the Trio tavern in Mill city for an ice cold beverage - recommended stop, classic old school bar.

Snow patch...?! Snow PATCH! It was a drift that would have turned back Scott on his arctic explorations. I was told "...it's open all the way over..." seems that accurate information is sketchy at best around here. The rest of the ride was snow free and thankfully gravel free too. There is a certain dive in Detroit that has to learn what a special is, ie, it should be less than regular price, not more, but I won't name names, but it's a theme restaurant. All in all a fun ride, my toothache notwithstanding...Edgy
Attached Images

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #801
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter View Post
Snow patch...?! Snow PATCH! It was a drift that would have turned back Scott on his arctic explorations.
GS in the snow; no kickstand required.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #802
FastMag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hah, Yeah that 800 would not be fun to push through that snow up there. When I pushed through I was on my 150lbs XL175.
1974 Honda CT70
FastMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #803
InTheSticks
Gnarly Adventurer

Went over the top yesterday (Thurs 14) and can report that all the snow has gone and the log (and the various small rocks/boulders) has been pushed off to the side - road is in great shape.

I also checked out the slide on the side road up to Tumble Lake (2223/520), and it's been fixed, rode up past the Tumble Lake trail head to the view point looking west down the North Santiam Canyon and that road is also clear of snow.

Today I'm hoping to go a little further, up to the view point over Detroit Lake and see this view :

'04 KTM 200EXC (plated)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #804
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
Went over the top yesterday (Thurs 14) and can report that all the snow has gone and the log (and the various small rocks/boulders) has been pushed off to the side - road is in great shape.

I also checked out the slide on the side road up to Tumble Lake (2223/520), and it's been fixed, rode up past the Tumble Lake trail head to the view point looking west down the North Santiam Canyon and that road is also clear of snow.

Today I'm hoping to go a little further, up to the view point over Detroit Lake and see this view :

Dang, I will be @ Detroit this weekend, but bikeless.

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #805
darnold87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:

I love that view and that area! I may be going up there tomorrow but will have my 2 year old boy so we'll be in the Suzuki Sidekick. Wish there was a safe way to take kiddos on the dirtbike. :)
By the way, I've seen some recent roadwork & heavy equipment parked where Sardine Creek Rd. meets HWY 22. Is Sardine Creek Rd. still open? I dread the day they close it off.
Speaking of, I got a MVUM (motor vehicle use map) from the forestry station at Detroit Lake, for the Willamette National Forest. Boy have they destroyed our ability to (legally) travel in our forest (unless you're on foot!). Makes me sick.
darnold87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #806
InTheSticks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
By the way, I've seen some recent roadwork & heavy equipment parked where Sardine Creek Rd. meets HWY 22. Is Sardine Creek Rd. still open? I dread the day they close it off.
Speaking of, I got a MVUM (motor vehicle use map) from the forestry station at Detroit Lake, for the Willamette National Forest. Boy have they destroyed our ability to (legally) travel in our forest (unless you're on foot!). Makes me sick.
I've never rode up Sardine Creek, but, I do know, after every nasty rain storm it tries to fill up the Big Cliff reservoir with boulders - I wonder if they were just repairing the road after the storm events.

Also have the MVUM, for the most part it won't affect where I ride, which prolly means I haven't been adventurous enough. Oddly enough, according to the MVUM, the last part of today's ride up to the radio towers above Detroit is off-limits, the road on their map splits off and dead-ends lower - hopefully a "mapo"

Funny anecdote - as we were dropping down thru the slide area we met a truck slowly coming up the hill, he seemed reluctant to move over onto "his side", I think his wife on the passenger side, staring straight down to the road 900 ft below might have had some influence on that decision

Also, just past the Tumble Lake trailhead, we took the road north towards Phantom Bridge (NF-2223). We were the first thru the snow, but got stopped a few miles later by a rock slide. Could prolly have ridden over it, but, the road dropped off hundreds of feet about 6 feet to the left - think we'll wait for the road maint. crew
'04 KTM 200EXC (plated)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #807
darnold87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thanks for the info Sticks!
You really should ride up Sardine. It's awesome. Nice and skinny for a road! :) I may be driving up it tomorrow.
darnold87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #808
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:

Damn ....... That's sweet ........

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #809
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Hey guys, I posted in the eugene area and GFunk sent me over here helping me out.
I am thinking about buying a bike sight unseen from these guys=

Power Motorsports

333 SW Sublimity Blvd
Sublimity, OR 97385

But being from the northeast I dont know have a way of physically checking frame head for cracks or checking forks or case damage , ETC!!! Bike would be shipped to Ct. Is anybody close by that might be able to swing by and take a look and possibly a listen? Maybee an inmate here actually works there or is familiar with the shop? Or is it a place I would be better off passing by?
Any help would be appreciated greatly. PM me for details.
Thanks for your time guys. And boy would I love to ride up there in those mountains.
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #810
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,274
G-Funk,,?

,,,does he ride?
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote