ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #886
darnold87
Gnarly Adventurer
 
darnold87's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Salem, Orygun
Oddometer: 122
Alive and kicking! :)

FYI: A group of us in Salem and surrounding area are planning on doing the Portland Alley Sweeper ride again... It's set for April 14th. It was a blast last year.
Here's the current thread on ADV:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ley+sweeper%22
__________________
~Davey
'02 Husqvarna WR165
'07 Husqvarna SM610
'94 Suzuki Sidekick
darnold87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #887
dasvis
Studly Adventurer
 
dasvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter View Post
From the murky depth of winter, this thread rises again. Did everyone survive winter? I've been riding a little, sold a bike, bought a bike...getting ready to sell another one, the wr. Mike, you still alive?
Yeah I'm still kicking (even @ my advanced age). Finally cleaned up the DRZ last weekend after our Sept '12 ride.... took it for a short test ride. It works.
You didn't sell the F800 did you?

I'm ready to go anytime we get some decent weather. Coast range possibly or high desert.
__________________
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #888
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?
 
Edgy Drifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salem OR...It rains ALOT
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post
Yeah I'm still kicking (even @ my advanced age). Finally cleaned up the DRZ last weekend after our Sept '12 ride.... took it for a short test ride. It works.
You didn't sell the F800 did you?

I'm ready to go anytime we get some decent weather. Coast range possibly or high desert.
I wouldnt mind going to the coast range again, last time I was there was with you...2 years ago? Desert is always good too. No traded the Vmax in on a new bike. What about the Alley Sweeper...that could be fun...
__________________
“The Universe does not bend itself to our ignorance.”

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #889
dasvis
Studly Adventurer
 
dasvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter View Post
I wouldnt mind going to the coast range again, last time I was there was with you...2 years ago? Desert is always good too. No traded the Vmax in on a new bike. What about the Alley Sweeper...that could be fun...
Alley sweeper.... hmmm. I hear they have a few brew pubs in Portland......
__________________
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #890
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?
 
erg59's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckley,Washington State
Oddometer: 320
New Bike

Hey Mike hows it going, Bro ran that new bike comment by very causually. This is his new bike.
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #891
dasvis
Studly Adventurer
 
dasvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by erg59 View Post
Hey Mike hows it going, Bro ran that new bike comment by very causually. This is his new bike.
Nice. He did kind of look like a circus bear on that little 250.......
__________________
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #892
SFC_Ren
Adventurer
 
SFC_Ren's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salem,Oregon
Oddometer: 71
New Salem guy intro

Hello all, just found this thread and thought I would butt in and introduce myself. My name is Ren, I just retired from the Active Army after 23 years last November. I ride an old 1990 Suzuki DR350, that I just finally got to where it starts with just a few kicks. I told myself that after I turned it into a reliable bike I would then start modifying. So now I plan on getting a rear rack of some sort and a larger fuel tank. I saw the post about the Portland alley sweeper on April 14th and depending on my 9 year old daughter's recovery. (she just had surgery at Dornbeckers for papillary thyroid cancer this last Friday). I would like to try making it to that and maybe ride up with anyone from down here headed up to Portland that day.

Well, enough about me for now, hope to meet some of you all sometime.

Later,
Ren
SFC_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #893
fbritt5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fbritt5's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Albany, Oregon
Oddometer: 173
Alley Ride

We rode up last year with some Salem guys but lost them when we got up there. I had some slick tires and dumped it in one of these muddy alleys. Oh well. When it gets closer, we'll figure out if we're going again. It was fun but a lot of folks living around it weren't too excited about it. Lots of cool bikes to see though. Thanks -
fbritt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #894
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?
 
Edgy Drifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salem OR...It rains ALOT
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
Hello all, just found this thread and thought I would butt in and introduce myself. My name is Ren, I just retired from the Active Army after 23 years last November. I ride an old 1990 Suzuki DR350, that I just finally got to where it starts with just a few kicks. I told myself that after I turned it into a reliable bike I would then start modifying. So now I plan on getting a rear rack of some sort and a larger fuel tank. I saw the post about the Portland alley sweeper on April 14th and depending on my 9 year old daughter's recovery. (she just had surgery at Dornbeckers for papillary thyroid cancer this last Friday). I would like to try making it to that and maybe ride up with anyone from down here headed up to Portland that day.

Well, enough about me for now, hope to meet some of you all sometime.

Later,
Ren

Hey Ren, Mark here. Happy to hear from a new rider in the area. Mike(another inmate) and I get together a few times a year for some riding, your welcome to join us. Nothing major, just scenic, Mike acts as tour guide...and food critic . I'm thinking about the alley sweeper, have never done a "urban assault" ride...sounds interesting...

I hope your daughter's recovery goes well. Mark
__________________
“The Universe does not bend itself to our ignorance.”

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #895
SFC_Ren
Adventurer
 
SFC_Ren's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salem,Oregon
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter View Post
Hey Ren, Mark here. Happy to hear from a new rider in the area. Mike(another inmate) and I get together a few times a year for some riding, your welcome to join us. Nothing major, just scenic, Mike acts as tour guide...and food critic . I'm thinking about the alley sweeper, have never done a "urban assault" ride...sounds interesting...

I hope your daughter's recovery goes well. Mark
Mark, Thanks for the reply, since it looks like the weather has finally take a turn for the better. I'm going to try some solo shakedown rides around the area. (Any recommendations?)
in no particular order, I'm planning on a pavement trip down to Mary's Peak near Corvallis, then a gravel trip up to snow peak to the west of Scio. I also plan on trying to make a day trip out to the McCoy OHV area out past Detriot just for the heck of it. I need to figure out the mileage and range of this bike. Dang small tank. haha
SFC_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #896
SFC_Ren
Adventurer
 
SFC_Ren's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salem,Oregon
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbritt5 View Post
We rode up last year with some Salem guys but lost them when we got up there. I had some slick tires and dumped it in one of these muddy alleys. Oh well. When it gets closer, we'll figure out if we're going again. It was fun but a lot of folks living around it weren't too excited about it. Lots of cool bikes to see though. Thanks -
Well even if the streetsweeper isn't for everyone, I wouldn't mind meeting up for some local dualsport/scenic or whatever else, rides around the area whenever some of you guys get out.
SFC_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #897
dasvis
Studly Adventurer
 
dasvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter View Post
Hey Ren, Mark here. Happy to hear from a new rider in the area. Mike(another inmate) and I get together a few times a year for some riding, your welcome to join us. Nothing major, just scenic, Mike acts as tour guide...and food critic . I'm thinking about the alley sweeper, have never done a "urban assault" ride...sounds interesting...

I hope your daughter's recovery goes well. Mark
Howdy Ren - Like Mark said above, we get together & ride a few times a year... nothing too knarly. Will drop you a line next time we get something set. Mary's peak, Snow peak, & anything with any elevation will be blocked with snow for quite a while yet. Coast range is the best bet, but there's still snow there too......
If there is good weather for the Alley sweeper I may be in for that.

Mike
__________________
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #898
dasvis
Studly Adventurer
 
dasvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
Hello all, just found this thread and thought I would butt in and introduce myself. My name is Ren, I just retired from the Active Army after 23 years last November. I ride an old 1990 Suzuki DR350, that I just finally got to where it starts with just a few kicks. I told myself that after I turned it into a reliable bike I would then start modifying. So now I plan on getting a rear rack of some sort and a larger fuel tank. Ren
Clarke makes a decent big tank for the DR350 -
http://clarkemfg.com/drs350250-all-d...ons-p-290.html
I run the opaque version on my DRZ400S, it's ugly, but you always know how much fuel remains........
TCI makes some nice racks for the DR350
https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_166_170
__________________
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #899
SFC_Ren
Adventurer
 
SFC_Ren's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salem,Oregon
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post
Clarke makes a decent big tank for the DR350 -
http://clarkemfg.com/drs350250-all-d...ons-p-290.html
I run the opaque version on my DRZ400S, it's ugly, but you always know how much fuel remains........
TCI makes some nice racks for the DR350
https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_166_170
Thanks for the recommendations but this last weekend I killed my DR and just yesterday ended up buying an '06 KLR. Now to tear the DR motor apart and see if the case can be welded up where it cracked.
SFC_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #900
darnold87
Gnarly Adventurer
 
darnold87's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Salem, Orygun
Oddometer: 122
Sweeper update

Hey guys, I organized the ride up to the sweeper last year. Doing it again this year.
Just posted this info in the Alley Sweeper thread. It's this Sunday!

SALEM AREA GROUP:
Small convoy heading up from Salem, Albany, Springtucky, and McMinnville. Some riding and some trailering trail bikes.
Leaving Salem around ~730am.
Meeting in Tualatin, off I-5 (exit 289) at the old Kmart parking lot (7655 SW Nyberg Rd). Should arrive in Tualatin ~815am
Plan to leave there around 830am to arrive at destination ~9am.
ANYONE is welcome to join us. :)
We'll have 2way radio's on channel 4 or 10.
__________________
~Davey
'02 Husqvarna WR165
'07 Husqvarna SM610
'94 Suzuki Sidekick
darnold87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014