ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #931
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Looks like a lot of fun...whatever you do...dont give me any advanced warning of rides...

#%&* /**&% /&@#%!!! Had most of Friday off...all of last weekend...just saying

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #932
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
The ride was planned literally friday afternoon,but your right I should have let you know we could have used a third person lifting bikes over deadfall and pushing thru snow drifts. we still need to get back up to shoestring trail to rescue nathan's motorcycle I will let you know when that is happening maybe you can get in on the fun? however if you see a news story about Bigfoot being seen riding a blue DR650 suzuki thru the hills above ellensburg, its safe to assume the rescue mission is off......" its all happening." E.
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #933
darnold87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Nice overnight ride through the Cascades last weekend!

A group of 4 of us Rode from Salem to Green Peter, over Quartzville, camped up on top of FS1133. Slept well, minus one rogue tick, ate some snacks, then in to Detroit via Blowout, lunch at Cedars, up FS-46 (Breitenbush) to Olallie and the many lakes up there (did the complete loop across the high elevation section, barely made it over the many snow piles and mini-glaciers), then back down to Detroit, up Frech Creek (2207), past Opal lake (no snow on the roads), down to the pavement by Salmon Falls, up Evans Mountain Rd, across the bypass, took the back way to Rhody Lake, climbed the old fire look-out as the sun was dropping, then headed for Scott's Mills via Butte Creek Rd, had dinner at Wooden Nickel in Silverton, and back into Salem by 10pm. What a ride!!! TONS of pics on our local offroad website, but here are a few:

http://www.mvcrawlers.com/showthread...o-Olallie-Lake

'94 Suzuki Sidekick
darnold87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #934
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Nice pics Ya'll had a blast looks like
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #935
InTheSticks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Wow - that's like an entire summer's worth of riding for me *laughs*
One word of caution, on the Evans Mtn/Rhody Lake loop, there appears to be an active logging operation above Cedar Creek, so there may be log truck traffic heading back and forth between it and Molalla.................
'04 KTM 200EXC (plated)
+ '07 Jeep Wrangler X (my 4 person quad, street legal too ...)
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #936
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,554
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Great shot....

Front page worthy?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #937
Thewindupbird
n00b

Oddometer: 8
hello!

newish rider here in the Albany area. anyone want to do some riding ?
Thewindupbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #938
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewindupbird View Post
Welcome to ADV!
Don't do a lot of riding, but will try to contact you next time we go.

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #939
SFC_Ren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
I'm up for day rides to the Cascades or the Coast range most weekends (family plans & outings dependent). But unfortunately this weekend I have to drive to Redding, Ca. and back. So no riding for me. :-(
I've been wanting to do some trail exploring but I've also been thinking it would be a good idea to have another rider along when you're out of cell range. I'm in far south salem.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #940
Thewindupbird
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
I'm up for day rides to the Cascades or the Coast range most weekends (family plans & outings dependent). But unfortunately this weekend I have to drive to Redding, Ca. and back. So no riding for me. :-(
I've been wanting to do some trail exploring but I've also been thinking it would be a good idea to have another rider along when you're out of cell range. I'm in far south salem.
We will have to figure out some days! I am free Saturdays after 2 and all Sunday (unless i cover). Also have a couple days off during the week..

Also a couple weeks before some really adventurous riding will give me some time to get better gear. How much/What type of gear is normal in necessity? Was thinking just some mx boots, off road pants, and light armor underneath. I am unsure at this stage though.

Thewindupbird screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:10 PM
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #941
SFC_Ren
Adventurer

Quote:
We will have to figure out some days! I am free Saturdays after 2 and all Sunday (unless i cover). Also have a couple days off during the week..

Also a couple weeks before some really adventurous riding will give me some time to get better gear. How much/What type of gear is normal in necessity? Was thinking just some mx boots, off road pants, and light armor underneath. I am unsure at this stage though.
For sure need to get some rides planned, while the weather is still great.
As far as gear goes basically wear the level of protection that makes you comfortable. I wear tourmaster brand touring type gear. Textile pants and a textile Transition 3 jacket, with some cheap leather gloves and a pair of my old army boots. I took a little fall this last weekend up around the Tillamook state Forest area going downhill on a deep gravel road. I just ended up with a sore shoulder, bruised foot and a bruised hand. So I went out and got some gloves with knuckle protection, still debating real off road boots, oh and my helmet got some gouges so I bought a new one of those.
The way I look at it, it's not if your going to go down it's when. But there were dudes with a lot more off-road experience than me just wearing jeans and a jacket this last weekend.

Btw, I'm still pretty new to off road riding myself. All of my 15 years or so of riding experience was road race and on the track with a sport bike. I'm slowly but surely realizing the difference in skill sets between the two, road and off road, types of riding are almost exactly opposite from each other.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #942
Thewindupbird
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
As far as gear goes basically wear the level of protection that makes you comfortable.

The way I look at it, it's not if your going to go down it's when. But there were dudes with a lot more off-road experience than me just wearing jeans and a jacket this last weekend.

Btw, I'm still pretty new to off road riding myself. All of my 15 years or so of riding experience was road race and on the track with a sport bike. I'm slowly but surely realizing the difference in skill sets between the two, road and off road, types of riding are almost exactly opposite from each other.
I am basically trying to prepare for the when - I dont have any stiff over the ankle boots but I do have some thicker pants similar to carhartts. Plus I know for myself having the right gear is more motivation and does make me more comfortable in trying new things. Not crazy things, just new.

Awesome! I have only had one chance to explore offroad so far and its a blast. Seems they would be very different. Letting the bike wobble and wiggle off road and then maintaining precise control on the track.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #943
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
3 creek lake to Todd lake - Little Cultus lake to Waldo lake

Edgy & I did an all day venture last Saturday, ignoring the threatening prediction for extreme thunderstorms, torrential downpours, & quarter sized hail. Trailered the bikes over to Sisters & rode into Three creek lake, then took unimproved USFS road 370 to Todd lake (just off Century drive near Mt Bachelor). Headed South on Century drive to Cultus lake for fuel, as Edgy's new ride has a minimal 2 gallon tank. After a quick lunch of healthy fries & beer we motored from Cultus to Little Cultus lake & then took the sweet unimproved road 800 past Irish & Taylor lakes. No rain, but we could hear thunder in the distance.......
At the intersection of 800 & 514, we turned right onto 514 to Taylor burn campground. About a mile in, we noticed some odd large white discs on the ground. Stopped to investigate & found this -
Edgy instantly identified them as "alien spores", but on closer examination it was hail. BIG, quarter sized hail. Now in other parts of the country this may be miniscule, but it's the largest I have ever seen in Oregon. Thankfully it hit before we arrived.
Continuing on to Taylor burn CG, we stopped to check it out, then retraced our ride to the intersection of 800 & 514. Turned right onto 514 to Waldo lake. Made our way back to Century drive & stopped @ Elk lake for more fuel (don't bother, they only sell gas for boats there, much to Edgy's dismay). the guy at the lodge said that about 10 min before we arrived there was a HUGE downpour & they had a 6" deep river of water running past the lodge. We saw none of it.
Hopped back onto Century drive & slabbed it into Bend for gas & dinner, then back to the car in Sisters.. Very slight drizzle for a few miles, but we never did get really wet the entire day. Lucky.

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #944
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post
Edgy & I did an all day venture last Saturday,.....
....... rode into Three creek lake, then took unimproved USFS road 370 to Todd lake.....
.......then took the sweet unimproved road 800 past Irish & Taylor lakes.
Love that 370 old road. Another Wilderness Border favorite.
Howdooya like those BIG-ASS sandy waterbars ?
Try 'em onna loaded 990

But 800? Must now find ....although mighta been part of OBDR Route 3?
BTW, are you sure somebody didn't just dump their cooler before you got there?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #945
SFC_Ren
Adventurer

Anybody up for a day ride this coming up Sunday? I was thinking of heading up around the Detroit area or Snow Peak, basically just some exploring and trail riding.