Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Garmin 2720 Issues

Just received my refurb 2720 today and it broke in 10 minutes. I flipped the switch off and heard a lovely sharp "ting" inside the unit and it wouldn't turn on again. Since I'm leaving for a 1300 mile trip in 2 weeks I don't have time to return it. I took the rear cover off and sure enough, one of the 2 ears on the switch contact broke off. It appears that when it was refurbed/reassembled someone put the hooked contacts in the wrong orientation and when turning it off it pulled one of the gps circuit board hooks off. The switch hooks were intact so I bent them toward the main unit some and all is perfectly operational now.

I get home and am plugging in my planned route and I go to unplug the AC cord and son-of-a-bitch one of those copper tabs breaks too! It still powers the unit but because the rounded part of the ear is missing it is leaving a deep scrape in the plastic gps body near the copper contact. I contacted Digitech Deals through Amazon (where I purchased it) about the busted power cord. I can live with the switch as it appears to be a non issue presently but the power cord is going to be a problem as its quite hard to remove the cord with the way it digs in.

What would you do?
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I'd call Garmin ASAP. It has a one-year warranty. They will probably just send you a new cord.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
sandstorm
Odd

Oddometer: 257
Thumb

How long is your 1300 mile trip going to be? I've got multiple 2610 and 2720 setups and just de-installed all the wiring/ram/etc. from my KLR when I sold it. I can loan ya whatever you might need if Garmin can't come through.

But, Garmin might suprise ya. If they don't, drop me a pm if you need something.

Oh, and go register it on garmin.com/mygarmin STAT. Once you do that you kick off the warranty period and it's time for a call.
As stated - (Garmin) refurbs have a 1 year warranty...so Garmin tech support should hook you up. I am just curious if the place is an authorized Garmin dealer or not. If they aren't they may give you some grief.
sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt
What would you do?
So who'd you buy it from?

A reputable retailer should do something for you. Some of us get laughed at I'm sure for shying away from the deep discount places - but it's situations like this where the slightly more expensive guys come through.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
sandstorm
Odd

If it was a Garmin authorized dealer, Garmin will take care of him best I think.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

It was Digitech Deals via Amazon. I e-mailed DD asking for guidance. I have the motorcycle mount kit/wiring as well as the supplied 12V cig lighter adapter so I'm not worried too much about the power, just the home cord for when I'm working on routing.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
sandstorm
Odd

Good news, Amazon LLC is an authorized rep...so I don't know how that works?

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/onlin...T=Show+Dealers

There is a link of the Garmin authorized dealers for consumer electronics though.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #8
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm
If it was a Garmin authorized dealer, Garmin will take care of him best I think.
Sellers like TVNAV, GPSCity and some others have historically been much better at providing service after the sale than pure internet storefronts.

Sure - any authorized reseller can handle a warranty claim. A good retailer would offer to swap the unit out and do the return themselves. Hopefully Digitech Deals will do the same.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Resurrecting a thread from the dead but here goes....

I did get a warranty replacement on the power cord and the broken internals have not caused an issue in thousands of miles of use.

Recently I find myself with 2 machines in the garage and only one MC powercord. I looked at the "broken" 110 cord and found that it is just 12v out. Since I had a good 110 cord I cut the power pack off to have the leads and the special Garmin connector for the GPS. The only snag is that there aren't 2 wires under the sheath, its setup as a coaxial cable with the hot wire being down the center and insulated and the ground wire is spread all around it as individual strands.

I took apart the wall plug and found that they just twisted the strands together and used some heat shrink to make it into a "single wire" which was then soldered on the board.

I followed this method and now had a positive and negative lead, to which I soldered a 2 pin male connector (deans plug or T-plug if anyone is into Radio Control stuff) and made a whip with a female connector to go to the battery on the KTM EXC. The reason for the plug under the seat is to cut power to the gps cord if I don't need it since it is just open spring contacts that I wouldn't want to ground out. I did reuse the wall plug housing though, I gutted and sealed it to use as a plug cover when the gps isn't mounted. I installed 2 tiny hinges on it so it is a clam shell and the cord goes through the original hole for the strain relief. It is held on the cord and held closed by a velcro wire tie.

All in all for a quick slap together job it has worked great on the KTM and made good use of an otherwise unused power cord.

I can take some pictures if anyone is interested.