User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
3bangin OP
2010 Tiger 1050

Oddometer: 232
Crap Scorpion

Wow, I hope it's just me that has an issue with my front Scorpion tire.(Head shake and bad) I've tried everything, tire pressure, suspension setting, dial indicating the front rim etc.

Did they make a bad batch? It would be nice to see how many people have an issue with the Scorpion Front on the KTM.

Bob
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
No issues with a new tire but all have worn strange for me giving some shakes in the front end after a while even if a lot of pattern left, quite bad by the time the rear is worn out so i have exchanged them both at the same time.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bangin
Wow, I hope it's just me that has an issue with my front Scorpion tire.(Head shake and bad) I've tried everything, tire pressure, suspension setting, dial indicating the front rim etc.

Did they make a bad batch? It would be nice to see how many people have an issue with the Scorpion Front on the KTM.

Bob
I remember reading about this in this thread by nevgriff http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288891 he put a new tyre on the bike.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
You are not the only one.
The scorpion headshake is well-documented. I started a thread about it too.
No consensus on the cause.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
3bangin OP
2010 Tiger 1050

While riding and looking over the front end, it looks like a bent rim but no. I think the tires are slightly deformed.

Bob
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
3bangin OP
2010 Tiger 1050

Thanks for the replies guy's. It seems I'm the latest one to walk up and Kick a dead horse.

Has anyone here contacted Pirrelli?

Bob
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Yep, you can look down and watch it wobble.
It's ridiculous.

I've learned to deal with it for now.
I want to switch to a different front tire when this one is dead.
Unfortunately, I've got another Scorp in the garage from my early attempts to get rid of the wobble.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bangin

Has anyone here contacted Pirrelli?

Bob
I played phone tag with a rep for a few weeks. Finally got tired of trying.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
borderxx
ifalldown

Oddometer: 105
Pissed

Today I saw the first sunshine that I could USE - so I ran home at lunch, mounted the crashbars that just came in this morning', and geared up to head back to work. Now, understand that it rained all the way back from the dealership (I trucked it from Ohio), and it has rained all this week - I managed a 15-mph ride around the block on Tuesday night between bands of rain. I haven't ridden the bike above a high idle since I got it. So, I get up to about 30 mph, and the front end feels like I am on railroad tracks. Thump thump thump.

Wheel around to the estate, and check it out: Hans (the guy who was demoted from the clutch bolt-tightening position on the assembly line) is now mounting and inflating tires. Hans has FAILED TO SEAT THE BEAD ON THE FRONT TIRE. No problem, an easy fix, but WTF? Is Hans doing quality control as well now? QC at KTM missed it, and the dealer PDI as well?

Maybe check and make sure the tire is fully seated on the rim.
borderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
I haven't had this problem

I've had 3 or 4 and no real problems. When I got the bike weights were one one side, changing that took away one shake problem. Low pressure did it a bit. Now I am running a trail wing 41 -so I no further data. The TW41 is a better match to the Scorp rear -and it's cheap
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
You can be lucky...or not. My first Scorp was part of the shitty batch. I put a Sahara, problem solved. Now I'm on my second Scorp and is great.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Yeah, they made a huge bad batch, a lot of 990s came with defective front tires, and there was no recall that I know of. I noticed the front tire on my 07 990s was bad on the way home from buying the bike, but I was already 200 miles away and in the mountains of southern Missouri. I noticed it when my butt started to hurt and I stood, and looked down at the tire. It had a low spot on the left side, as if it wasn’t popped out on the rim all the way. At the campground that evening, I inspected it—it was full inflated and popped out on the rim correctly.

The next day I tried to notice if it affected the handling, it did not—even in left hand corners, and I forgot about it. About a month later, I did notice that it wobbled some at a very slow speed. My buddy’s 08 990a has the same exact defect on his front tire. I’ve read others complaining about the same defect on this site. Now, 10,000 miles later, I just installed a new Scorpion AT, and it is perfect. Hopefully all the defected ones are used up and gone.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Big Tall Bastard
Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 292
Silly question but did you get it balanced or rebalanced after some wear? My 990 Adv with the Scorps handled really well. Even my sportbike buddies were surprised how good they felt. I have looked over the bars and it doesn't look very true but feels ok. I think running a 21" dirtbike wheel with spokes that gets ridden in the dirt has a pretty good chance of getting out of round. I did get head shake after I put a TKC80 on the front but I expect that with a tractor tire like that.

Head shake can also come from not having your suspension set up properly. My CR500R would get head shake at high speed until Race Tech tuned it for my weight and riding style. After that no problem pinned in 5th!
My old 86 XR 600R had vicious headshake and I thought I was going to die several times as I didn't realize back then snapping the throttle shut was a bad idea. Moving the forks up in the triple clamp solved the problem on that bike.
I'm just sayin.....
Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
I've had Brazilian Pirelli dual sport tires in the past (as far as ten years ago) and while they weren't defective as this Scorps, most of them were crappy tires, so this is a no-new at least for me. Brazilian Sahara's however are very very good tires.
And while front scorpions are CHEAP (...so you get what you pay for) and this could be a excuse for Pirelli, KTM should be paying more attention on what they drop on very expensive bike.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
GPZ1170
Consumer Whore

Oddometer: 198
I have had 2 new front scorps in the last two years and another in the garage ready to be put on. Everyone I put on new shakes a little for about the first 600 miles or so. After that they seam to work themselves out. For the most part I am very happy and will continue to use them in the future.
GPZ1170 is offline   Reply With Quote