User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
jimmy101 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
kle500 pleasant cheap suprise

I recently bought a kle500. Now ordinarily I always thought this bike was OK but nothing special, if anything a bit of a dog even - but a really needed a dirty that I could do big k's on while commuting. But over here in Aus you can pick 2006 models up for about $5-6k with <15,000 km, where say a new versy/vstrom is about $12k ride away. Well sorry, for half that price difference you can turn a kle into a seriously dirt capable tourer.

I have owned over 5 dirt bikes from 125 strokers to 600 thumpers, 1200 bandits, wr360 husky strokers and this bike is the best $5k i have ever spent (the husky 360 was the next best fun factor)

Summary:
yes the suspension isn't great, but neither is a klr650's, but it actually kinda works reasonably well. With stiffer springs and a gold valve emulator that setup wouldn't be too bad at all - but I plan to whack on my klx USD's anyway for some extra height/clearance and travel.

The engine is great - yes its down on power (its still restricted with all the cats), but again the plus is that it puts its power down in the dirt really well. being a twin once its moving it accelerates real quick, but they need a few more teeth on the rear sprocket. There is alot you can do with this engine from de-restrict to a 600cc kit with dual FCR's (but that's a bit to risky for my use). Little bit lumpy under 3k rpm, but smooth as > 4k rpm.

You cannot feel the weight on this bike at all. The engine is positioned well, and the weight is low. Standing up you feel like you are on a dirt bike again. This feels lighter than some 600 singles I have ridden.

brakes are, well not great, but again do the job reasonably well. disc is well sized, and braided lines and HH rated pads would work OK.

reasonably fuel efficient - 20-25 km/L, even on dirt.

Summary - if you want a cheap bike that does everything well, but nothing in particular special, this is a great option. Also has heaps of potential. My main 3 cons are the pegs (shit but easily replaced), i dont find the seat comfy (but have an airhawk anyway) and the small tank capacity. Everything else has actually exceeded my expectations.

Now with my klx USD forks!!

jimmy101 screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 01:20 AM
jimmy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Buy a f800gs.....
chadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Works great, fun ride (wish I had one).
Lacks snob appeal. Enjoy!
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
ShaunJ
Adventurer

Hi

Had a kle a year now good first bike
As for suspension put 20psi in the forks it'll improve it alot

Also who makes the 600cc kit?
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
loved my EX500, wished for a KLE500

Shame we don't get those over here.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101
I recently bought a kle500. Now ordinarily I always thought this bike was OK but nothing special, if anything a bit of a dog even - but a really needed a dirty that I could do big k's on while commuting. But over here in Aus you can pick 2006 models up for about $5-6k with <15,000 km, where say a new versy/vstrom is about $12k ride away. Well sorry, for half that price difference you can turn a kle into a seriously dirt capable tourer.

I have owned over 5 dirt bikes from 125 strokers to 600 thumpers, 1200 bandits, wr360 husky strokers and this bike is the best $5k i have ever spent (the husky 360 was the next best fun factor)

Summary:
yes the suspension isn't great, but neither is a klr650's, but it actually kinda works reasonably well. With stiffer springs and a gold valve emulator that setup wouldn't be too bad at all - but I plan to whack on my klx USD's anyway for some extra height/clearance and travel.

The engine is great - yes its down on power (its still restricted with all the cats), but again the plus is that it puts its power down in the dirt really well. being a twin once its moving it accelerates real quick, but they need a few more teeth on the rear sprocket. There is alot you can do with this engine from de-restrict to a 600cc kit with dual FCR's (but that's a bit to risky for my use). Little bit lumpy under 3k rpm, but smooth as > 4k rpm.

You cannot feel the weight on this bike at all. The engine is positioned well, and the weight is low. Standing up you feel like you are on a dirt bike again. This feels lighter than some 600 singles I have ridden.

brakes are, well not great, but again do the job reasonably well. disc is well sized, and braided lines and HH rated pads would work OK.

reasonably fuel efficient - 20-25 km/L, even on dirt.

Summary - if you want a cheap bike that does everything well, but nothing in particular special, this is a great option. Also has heaps of potential. My main 3 cons are the pegs (shit but easily replaced), i dont find the seat comfy (but have an airhawk anyway) and the small tank capacity. Everything else has actually exceeded my expectations.

this thread is useless without pics!!!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams
Buy a f800gs.....
Don't be a troll.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
ShaunJ
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
this thread is useless without pics!!!
Here ya go
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60302152jmhQsm
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
alohagirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Oh..., Just another bike not available to us here in the states. Looks good though!
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams
Buy a f800gs.....

Noob/Troll, f800gs in Oz is $17K , send cash to Jimmy, I'm sure he'll take you up on your advice. dont forget extra $$ to fix the lame suspension & more $$$ for farkles to drop its weight to that of a KLE500. ( yes the KLE IS lighter then a f800gs )

Jimmy, cool bike. post on your updates, make us poor north americans jealous .
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ
thanks never saw 1 before! doesn't look too bad!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
Have seen these new in the UK for £2995!
That's alot of bike for the money!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l
Shame we don't get those over here.
No kidding.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 242
Looks better than a KLR!!

I'd ride that.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
I hadnt seen one of those before,I liked the motor in my 88 EX500,they did all kinds of big bore/hop up on those motors for club road racing,brick reliable and can be fast.Nice torquey smooth street/dirt motor as is though.
Looks like fun!