Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
bry_wang OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Vstrom Dual Russell day-long review

Hello fellow vstromers!

I've finally taken pictures of the Russell day long custom dual seat I got last October. Since I don't see that many reviews on dual day-longs I'll share my experience.

First off my girlfriend and I found the stock seat's seating positions front and rear to be pretty decent. We found there to be plenty of room for 2 up all day riding. The problem was the support. After about 45 minutes of riding we'd start to feel butt discomfort and after about 90 minutes we'd have to get off to rest the sit bones. This kind of touring is ok but results in our butts being in discomfort for about 50% of the trip. I'd say discomfort ranges from a little sore to cheek shifting burning.

I was going to try and shape my own touring seat with a spare I bought on ebay, but in the end sent it out to Russell in California.

I placed my order for the seat at the end of July and the build day was in the middle of September. It only took them a week to build the seat.
The seat looked amazing as I unpacked it. I had planned a 3 day trip to break it in. Russell wants you to put on 500 to 1000 miles before sending it back for alterations.

The only quality issue I had was one seam was a little off and it resulted in a small tear on the seam. I was almost not going to call them about it but then I recalled the price of the seat. For what it costs I wanted it to be as close to perfect as they could do.

I sent them this photo and they told me to break it in and then they fix the cover and make any alterations at the same time. Great service!
So how did it perform on the trip?
AWESOME! Just like the legend says. We didn't feel butt discomfort at all! none!
But I did feel gonad discomfort. At the end of the day the boys were getting a little squished.
So, after the trip the seat was broken in and I sent it back for the cover to get fixed and some alterations to be performed.

I had Russel remove some padding under my groin in the nose of the seat. This was to relieve gonadial pressure and give me back some foot contact when stopped at lights etc.

The Russell will raise the seat about one inch over the original seat. I was looking forward to this was a way to relieve pressure on my knees during long rides, but it was getting hard to balance on the tips of my boots when stopped. With the stock seat I can have both balls of my feet squarely on the ground, so the seat height does change quite a bit.

I had the passenger section lowered 1/2 inch and moved backwards 1 inch. To me this it a big part of what you are paying for with a Russell. It really is a Custom Seat. They even use different densities of foam for your body weight.

The cover fix and position alterations took only a week or so. Because the cover was torn Russell sent me a UPS label and covered the shipping of the seat back to them and the return shipping to me. Great service again!

The seat now is pretty much perfect! No butt pain on an all day ride. No 'nad pain and decent foot reach to the ground without losing the extra inch of height when sitting in the "pocket' of the seat. Great passenger position and comfort.
If you tour and have comfort issues with the stock seat, I recommend a Day-Long whole heartily. I had a sargent seat on my SV650 and there is no comparison in comfort. In fact I found the stock SV seat to be a better touring seat because the sargent lowered the seating position and added pressure to my knees. I wish I had gotten a russell then but instead i suffered on it during a four week tour.

so that's my review enjoy!

I chose the half moon pattern because it's the most water resistant on account that it has the fewest seams and less holes in the cover. I really wanted the rectangular pattern but I do ride in the rain and when camping I do leave the bike uncovered. I've grown to like the half moon.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
crpntr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Thanks for the review, my wife has her build date in 3 weeks. She is pretty much getting the same seat with no passenger work. Glad to see the money will be well spent.
crpntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
Nothing compares to a russell. I went throught them all and finally bit the bullet. Only thing is they are like the strom: butt ugly. Ride safe.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
What's the cost on one of these? I'm picking up my V-Strom tomorrow and I see many long days in the saddle for me.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Clarkman
Don't taze me bro.

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
This was to relieve gonadial pressure
OMG that made me cry laughing!!!

Clarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
cunnibra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Did you get leather or vinyl? Has it gotten wet yet? If so, how did it handle the water? Do you ride standing up at all in the dirt? I am wondering if the wings get in the way when standing.
cunnibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
AZstrommer
Long may she wave!

Oddometer: 960
I love mine! Best $ ever spent on a bike part!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11

My pattern is different but the results are the same. Glutinal nirvana!

Seat! What seat?!

AZ

We can't negate who we are, who we were, what we've done. Who we've loved, who we've hurt. Part of our human fabric. Who are are. I am the sum of all I have done before. I am imperfect, I am flawed. I am, however, aware of that. I desire happiness, I long for joy, always knowing the price, the balance. - Sabre
AZstrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
bry_wang OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hi

I got all vinyl cuz it was cheaper and easier to take care of. I haven't ridden in serious rain yet but i think it'll be fine along as i'm seated. other wise i'll have to cover it.

The wings don't interfere with standing at all for me.

bry_wang screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 08:57 PM
bry_wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
iloco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I got the rectangle pattern and the leather insert with vinyl sides. Mine is Solo since I ride by myself all the time. :)

I really like the seat. The stock seat was a piece of junk for me. Like riding a fence rail.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
clawspawn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
My ass really likes the looks of that seat comfy great review. Ill be looking into one Thanks

clawspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
79SouthJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
It's expensive and not very sexy, but looks worth every penny. The kids can wait another year for college. I want one now.
79SouthJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
bry_wang OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is for sale.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry_wang View Post
This is for sale.
That's kind of funny.

Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
quickstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry_wang View Post
This is for sale.
You realize you're going to have to answer the why question.
quickstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
bry_wang OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop View Post
You realize you're going to have to answer the why question.
The seat is amazing. I'm just selling the bike. :(