User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #31
Nightmarion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
[quote=t-rider]Nice edition, found online:

Looks like it could be the older version. Those are said to need quite a lot gas, 7 or 8 l/100km, because of a too rich fuel/air ratio . There's an airbox modification to change this. Unfortunately, the instructions I found are German only: http://www.dernacken.de/anleitung_airbox.html or http://winweb373.sr23.firestorm.ch/twin500/cpg144/albums/userpics/10056/KLE500_Luftfiltertuning.pdf
If anyone is interested and wants to try it, I can translate it.
From 2005 on, the settings are better, my KLE takes only 5l/100km, maybe 6 when I go 140 km/h with panniers.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #32
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...oad-pics-39263

here we go, my old kle and there is a link in the forum for a lot more pics off the kle off road in case anyone was wondering if it is suitable.

bought bike standard but if kept it would have put knobblies on it. still great lil bike and was well capable at everything could throw at it, or everything i could thew the bike at
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #33
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

have a load of kle links if ye want and horizons unlimited has huge following of kle owners.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #34
t-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Does anyone have any information about a tank enlargement or maybe an alternative for the small tank? Would like to have a bigger milage on one tank... Going to perform the airfilter box adjustment in a few days, hope that'll help to...

Oh yeah, please post the other links here to... Would like to see if there are some other nice sites that we havent found out about...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #35
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rider
Does anyone have any information about a tank enlargement or maybe an alternative for the small tank? Would like to have a bigger milage on one tank... Going to perform the airfilter box adjustment in a few days, hope that'll help to...

Oh yeah, please post the other links here to... Would like to see if there are some other nice sites that we havent found out about...
go onto horizons unlimited and under the kawa section there is huge section on kle's and load of links. just flick through them and you will find everything and anythign you want.

as for tank enlargement its not really possible. 1 lad did weld a huge bubble onto the top of tank to hold extra 3L but thats the only ever mod done.

the lad that did the dakar had a custom tank made for him.

why pay huge money for tank mods, just strap 2 jerry cans onot th panniers and there is a simple, cheap solution and easy to remove them and still keep the clean line of the original tank.

on a note on the forks and braking,

but 12psi into the bleed nipples on the forks and your braking wil improve as the diving down when braking gives impression brakes are poor.

sw motech in uk sell an aftermarket brake disk and it is meant to be good.

make sure you watch the paint on the underside of the frame as it can start to chip and rust easy.

but it is a great lil bike and it is good at everything but not brilliant at any 1 particular thing.

get a proper bash plate made up to protect the exhaust pipes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
The Kawi 500cc motor is a killer IMO and if that bike was available here, it would be the perfect beginner Adventure Rider & keep me from railing against the Wee as a starter machine

You mean before one advances to some overgrown pig breeded from a roadbike and an old off road bike?

Can't tell this whole bullshit about "beginner" bikes kind of bothers me, can you...

Seems some think that if it isn't biggest and fattest it must be a beginner...
Beginner - my ass.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #37
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,002
Quote:
Hi there, a quick introduction, I'm T-Rider, a KLE driver from the Netherlands. I Actually own an KLE from '93 for a year now, bought it with 15 k on the counter. Nice bike, owned a Honda 599 (hornet) before this one, this is a lot more fun :-). Had some things ajusted, as the brakes (not really great on the tarmac), now replaced it for some brakings with hell braking hoses, big improvement.

Now on the list is are different shocks and fork spring.

Great bike, light, smooth handling, big fun :-)

KLE in Belgium

Just a weekend trip to family

Alternate Braking disc & shoes
This actually looks like a fun adventure bike. Looks a bit like my KLX with a bit more updated MX look than even the latest KLR. I'd think it'd run pretty good considering how well the EX performs.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #38
jimmy101 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Laugh

I am looking at getting a mob in AUS called chain gang to make up a 310 mm wave disc and put a better caliper on it (brembo 4 pot off a monster is fairly compact and maybe a good choice).

Definately need a better brake caliper as the stocker is OKish..but still pretty crap even with good pads.

Just put in new fork springs (linear rate). For those interested Eibach springs do a spring that will fit - dont know the part number (I think it maybe off an old XR250) but you can match them to this spec:

L = 530 mm (approx) - stock is 522 mm so just cut about 15 mm off the really long preload spacer, which will give it about 10 mm of actual preload.
OD = 34.9 mm (stock is 34 mm, but there is a full 36mm ID so this spring OD fits fine).
Rate = 0.47 mm/kg is the heaviest they make. I weigh 83kg and it is pretty good - still fairly plush but way better than stock.
jimmy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 AM   #39
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 660
Jimmy

I thought the Chain Gang had gone out of the motorcycle business and just do pushbikes now?

But just looking at their website they still list motorcycle parts?

anyone know?

Marty
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #40
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram
Jimmy

I thought the Chain Gang had gone out of the motorcycle business and just do pushbikes now?

But just looking at their website they still list motorcycle parts?

anyone know?

Marty
They're still advertising in the magazines, as of the May issues I have.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #42
ShaunJ
Adventurer

Thanks for the links the 626cc kit could be interesting

Heres a more recent pic of mine

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #43
t-rider
Adventurer

Anyone an idea why the arrow exhaust wouldn't fit on the older KLE models? I thought those wheren't changed much?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #44
ShaunJ
Adventurer

Quote:
Anyone an idea why the arrow exhaust wouldn't fit on the older KLE models? I thought those wheren't changed much?
Don't see why it shouldn't
The engine and frames the same so all the mounting points will be the same. Only the body works really changed. The only issue would be centre stand clearance if you have one fitted.
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #45
t-rider
Adventurer

I Also don't see why, but on the arrow site it says that it will only fit the last models, don't really get why... Would like the exhaust though :-P. is the assymetrical design fixed with this exhaust (any power impromvent afer placing that exhaust)?