Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #61
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Might be an idea to get the thread moved to Thumpers (since the KLE is a thumper), as it would get more views and comments there imho
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #62
cartejo5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Might be an idea to get the thread moved to Thumpers (since the KLE is a thumper), as it would get more views and comments there imho
KLE = 500cc paralell twin! Not sure how that qaulifys as a thumper?
cartejo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #63
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartejo5
KLE = 500cc paralell twin! Not sure how that qaulifys as a thumper?
Oops! Y'know I've thought this bike was a thumper since 2005! I think the 37bhp and the sound of the bike running had me fooled.

My bad
IBA #40578

Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #64
t-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101
Thanks for uploading pic Chad.

Im putting kx125 forks on in next month (full rebound & comp). Just press out kle stem and press into the kx triples......easy. Will need to trim a bit of plastic cause they are wider. Will post pics when done - hopefully in next couple of weeks.
so the stem would be an one-on-one fit on the kx triples? I'm not really into metalwork, so I don't have the abillity to modify the triples/stem... But if this works, then I'l be doing the same thing if I could get a good kx fork....
I'll just be patiancly waiting on the pics then
But what will you be doing with the springs? Since the kx125 is only about 87.1 kg vs the 190+ of the KLE???
Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #65
jimmy101 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Ray-rev - actually the bike puts out close to 50HP (after it constrictive intake system and exhaust/headers are changed). In fact with the Er500 cams and bigger inlet valves it can put out close to 60BHP. Thats pretty good for 500cc....but it puts the power down better than most twins ever will.

T-rider - the stem on the kle is same dimensions, just longer. So you can press out kx stem and press in the kle stem so everything fits up. Yes the kx springs are to soft, but more so the valving is for a lighter bike. However given the far better adjustability and fork action, with even this stock valving it should be way better with say comp dialed up and stiffer springs. My guess on the springs is anywhere from 0.48kg/mm to 0.50 kg/mm is what most people will want, as 150kg thumpers with 85kg rider only use 0.46 rate..

Stay tuned for more.
jimmy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #66
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Ray-rev - actually the bike puts out close to 50HP (after it constrictive intake system and exhaust/headers are changed). In fact with the Er500 cams and bigger inlet valves it can put out close to 60BHP. Thats pretty good for 500cc....but it puts the power down better than most twins ever will..
If I'd known that a couple of years ago I might have bought one instead of the 650GS I owned. Doh!
IBA #40578

Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #67
jimmy101 OP
Adventurer

Yer thats what everyone thinks of the kle initially - gutless....well it sort of is when you compare it to a 800 twin etc. or look at the specs on paper.

Put it this way it out accelerates all 650 singles and new gen 450's I have ever ridden with - they keep with you until you start to rev second gear out (about 60km/h). But it just doesnt feel like it has this potential- its a funny kind of power, incapable of popping a wheelie in 1st without serious clutch, and doesn't rip your arms off, so you think it has no guts unless you are dragging someone to judge just how well it is accelerating. The engine just spools up very smoothly and just keeps accelerating, and where singles start slowing up (typically about 130km/h) it pulls even harder from there on. Its top speed so far is 180-190km/h (more so from the gearing I have), but with taller gearing or a bit more work on the engine (hi comp, bigger inlet valve, jetting) you could hit 200 with my gearing I reckon. And yes while "some" singles can also get to those speeds, trust me this bike gets there quicker, effortlessly and smoother, and can do it all day long.

As I said earlier a very underrated bike...Pity the Versey was not made as a serious contender for its dirt capabilities. I think the kle engine's power is probably better in the bush (tamer), but the 650 would be nice on the road hall bits (not needed, but nice to have that extra grunt).
Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #68
rallyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Good ol KLE

I had a 1993 KLE and I tell you what, a muffler, mild engine work, sort out the suspension and she was a great little adventure bike.

Used to ride from Melbourne to Mildura return every week for months and it never let me down.

Talked a mate into buying one (2006) and he loves it. 8000 ride away cheap as chips

Respect to the KLE
rallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #69
rphomes
Adventure Freak

Oddometer: 23
Jimmy101,

Have you got any photos with the KLX front end in yet?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #70
jimmy101 OP
Adventurer

Ok i have whacked my kx125 USD forks on my klx250 (straight fit), and have pressed out the kx stem and kle steerer stems. Turns out the kle is a couple of mm smaller, so I am getting a collar machined up to press into clamp then press stem into. Then forks will be all on!!!. So that klx forks in kx clamps with a kle stem .....confusing you yet??? Obviously I could of used the kx forks but too much travel and would rather have them on my dirt bike for that reason...

Klx 2009 model is only 1" longer from top of fork to centre of axle (because they shortened them compared to earlier models), but about 255mm of travel with comp adjustment....perfect dual sport travel..... So overall more travel and a little more clearance will be assured.

I am also fitting a 320mm disc....

Will post pics etc as soon as I have forks back from machine shop and fit them up
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #71
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Thanks for uploading pic Chad.

Im putting kx125 forks on in next month (full rebound & comp). Just press out kle stem and press into the kx triples......easy. Will need to trim a bit of plastic cause they are wider. Will post pics when done - hopefully in next couple of weeks.

Here is pic from latest trip with Chad - taken on upper Clarence River at Paddy's Flat in Northern NSW. The bridge crossing was dodgy compared to the water crossing....

Can't get over how badass this bike looks with some nice knobbies on it.
Light-weight, decent fuel range, skidplate, nice high out-of-the-way exhaust- what's not to like? It'd be a very nice step up from the super sherpa here in canada.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #72
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transalp Jas
Can't get over how badass this bike looks with some nice knobbies on it.
Light-weight, decent fuel range, skidplate, nice high out-of-the-way exhaust- what's not to like? It'd be a very nice step up from the super sherpa here in canada.
light weight? they are on the heavy side for what they are, but the weight does feel low

decent fuel range? about 200km to reserve,

skid plate?.. stone guard at best, its paper thin

yes, I own one, its cheap and cheerful, good value for money, but needs a fair bit spent on it to get it up to standard and its real weak point is there is no aftermarket large fuel tank for it...

after riding a DR650 for 4000km over 2 weeks I would buy a DR650 over a KLE for Adv riding, but a KLE for commuting,

mine is for sale in Aust if anyone wants one
Hytram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #73
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
had oe these for a while, even did some off roading with it, great bike and very under rated
Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #74
jimmy101 OP
Adventurer

Funny my fuel range is 220-240km to reserve - about 280-300km to empty. I am going to get tank enlarged from 15L to hopefully 23L

Weight - most of it is in the pillion footpegs, tail light brackets etc and shit headers/exhaust - get rid of those and you are down closer to DR650 weight.....now thats good

DR will always be a bit (probley alot) better in the tight stuff, but long open dirt trails or tar - kle thanks...I used to use big singles but at the end of the day I fell alot better on the kle and could therefore cover at least another 300km per day with same fatigue level.

Skid plate - yes pretty crap but takes the rock hits.

My take = kle is its a cheap (now <$5k AUS) parallel twin that WITH work/mods is fantastic and still far cheaper overall than forking out for a +$14k equivalent. I like modding bikes so fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram
light weight? they are on the heavy side for what they are, but the weight does feel low

decent fuel range? about 200km to reserve,

skid plate?.. stone guard at best, its paper thin

yes, I own one, its cheap and cheerful, good value for money, but needs a fair bit spent on it to get it up to standard and its real weak point is there is no aftermarket large fuel tank for it...

after riding a DR650 for 4000km over 2 weeks I would buy a DR650 over a KLE for Adv riding, but a KLE for commuting,

mine is for sale in Aust if anyone wants one
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #75
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Anyhardcore interest in these bikes in the countries that have them?

I'm back to finishing my EX500 conversion to an approximation of the KLE500, since we don't get those here in The States.

I'd like to find more hardcore pics of KLE's stripped down to fightin weight, sans plastics, etc. but either there's little interest in doing those kinds of things with this bike or I'm a lame searcher. I figger anything with that much bulbous plastic to break gets relegated to ratbike status on a regular basis.

Anyone have pics of such abominations, or suggestions for websites etc.?
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote