ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,112
Rotella at Crappy Tire

Crappy Tire has the pails of Rotella 5/40 Synthetic on for $127.99 this week... These are American pails so they are 18.9 L instead of 20L, but even at that still a pretty good buy...
__________________
640 A x 2

BC RIDING 2014
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 405
That kills me. Retailers complain about customers cross-border shopping, and here's Canadian Tire doing the same thing. If you can't fight'em, join'em.

Reminds when I went to test drive a Subaru back in 2007 when the C$ traded above the US$. The dealership didn't have any new 4-cyl turbo demo cars, so the sales person told me I could test drive one of the 2.5L turbos that just came in from...the US!. The dealership was bringing up late model used US cars to sell in Canada! The sales person said they made more money on selling the used US cars than they did selling new Canadian cars.
__________________
BigBadAndUgly
Current: 2012 R1200GS
Past: 2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio, 1979 Suzuki GS750L, XR350R, DT125, CT70
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
That kills me. Retailers complain about customers cross-border shopping, and here's Canadian Tire doing the same thing. If you can't fight'em, join'em.

Reminds when I went to test drive a Subaru back in 2007 when the C$ traded above the US$. The dealership didn't have any new 4-cyl turbo demo cars, so the sales person told me I could test drive one of the 2.5L turbos that just came in from...the US!. The dealership was bringing up late model used US cars to sell in Canada! The sales person said they made more money on selling the used US cars than they did selling new Canadian cars.
Don't know about the cross border thing....them Rotella labels usually say that the product is "Made in Canada" out of local and imported components.

Hint....I think the Canadian Tire brand of Diesel oil is also Rotella just re-badged for them. The pails are identical, made by BWay and they do have plants in Canada. If you visit CT look under the pail.....says 21 L. and no US markings.

I'll doublecheck next week I could use a pail but they'll probably be out by then as usual.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Oddometer: 2,843
So, about the price of Rotella gallon jugs at Wally World just across the border, with all the benefits of having to haul a 5 gallon jug around
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: S/Wet Coast
Oddometer: 454
Just wait a wee while, I hear they're bring out a dehydrated version which might fit into your pocket.
__________________
· “I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant” – Alan Greenspan
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Don't know about the cross border thing....them Rotella labels usually say that the product is "Made in Canada" out of local and imported components.

Hint....I think the Canadian Tire brand of Diesel oil is also Rotella just re-badged for them. The pails are identical, made by BWay and they do have plants in Canada. If you visit CT look under the pail.....says 21 L. and no US markings.

I'll doublecheck next week I could use a pail but they'll probably be out by then as usual.
When I lived up island I had the Shell bulk plant bring in some pails for me which came from Alberta... The Alberta stuff came in dark 20 liter pails, of which I paid about $119 per at the time. The Can tire stuff comes in the same white pail as the 15/40 non synthetic stuff and are the 20 quart (18.9L) size or 5 us gallons..
__________________
640 A x 2

BC RIDING 2014
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus
 
Bill 310's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hopefully Upright
Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669;26005313m
I'll doublecheck next week I could use a pail but they'll probably be out by then as usual.
Just go the customer service desk and get a raincheck. I do that every time they have a good tool sale and are out of stock. They have to give you a raincheck unless it species no rain check in the flyer (Which is sometimes for seasonal items).

A few of the CDN Tire stores in Vancouver are brutal for never having sale stock, and then it appears like a miracle after the sale is over.
__________________
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
Just go the customer service desk and get a raincheck. I do that every time they have a good tool sale and are out of stock. They have to give you a raincheck unless it species no rain check in the flyer (Which is sometimes for seasonal items).

A few of the CDN Tire stores in Vancouver are brutal for never having sale stock, and then it appears like a miracle after the sale is over.
Raincheck....closest CT is 2.5 hrs away. And I have enough of their tools especially the ones with microswitches, they all fail on me. Spent 2.5 hrs on their rotary tool aka Dremel copy just yesterday to fix yet another microswitch. Yeah they sell Dremel, just never have them in stock so I grabbed the Mastercraft "sales loss leader" as I needed one right away after the real Dremel died. But at least the Dremel lasted over 20 years...

But yes funny not having the item in stock, on the coast like in Victoria just ask them to check the stock at other stores if they don't have it. Next store 10-15 minutes away may just have 25-30 of them sales loss leaders.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Critt
Apprentice Advrider
 
Critt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Borden, ON
Oddometer: 144
Battery tender on sale too. Picked up a couple Jr's... work well.
__________________
-------------------------------------
'05 Hubasurg FE650e

'03 BMW F650GS Dakar - sold - https://i.imgur.com/l8vpFTw.jpg
Critt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014