User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Pete O Static OP
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 586
Insurance question for Quebec Riders

I currently live in Quebec. I used to live in Nova Scotia and Ontario. I am now being told by my insurance company that Quebecers can not take their motorcycles out of Quebec for more than 180 consecutive days.

The other provinces have a similar restriction which does not allow you to keep your bike in the U.S. beyond 180 days and that I understand because it becomes an immigration issue. Within Canada however, provided you don't change your address and drivers licence, you are free to travel as long as you wish within the validity period of the policy. My broker from Ontario, Riders Plus, confirmed this. (Obviously if you changed address and licence you would need a new policy.)

I am simply riding my motorcycle to Vancouver with the plan of storing it there for the winter so I can head to Alaska in the spring. The insurance board of Quebec says absolutely not. When I ask" how do Quebecers get a chance to explore Canada?" it instantly turns into a political discussion.

When I explore "International" insurance options, they say they don't apply because I am not leaving Canada. The Quebec insurance board along with the underwriter refuse to give me any sort of explanation. The SAAQ doesn't care if the bike stays out of Quebec more than 180 days, so long as I personally come back within that time to keep my health card current.

Is there anyone from Quebec who has found a legal way around this?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,304
For no other reason than curiosity I'd like to see that policy in print. Also how the hell would they know where your bike is and how long it has been there?

Often wondered why a group of people stuck with QC bullshit concerning motorbikes haven't simply incorporated a company in say Ontario, sold their bikes to the company in kind exchange of preferred shares then "rented" their bike for those times they needed them. The company could insure the bikes under a corporate policy in Ontario then you could be free to ride in Canada year round, including QC which if your bike is plated there can not be ridden year round even if the weather permits it.

Perhaps the logistics of that plan are more involved than I'd assume them to be.

CanadianX screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 06:52 PM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Pete O Static OP
Adventure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
For no other reason than curiosity I'd like to see that policy in print. Also how the hell would they know where your bike is and how long it has been there?

Often wondered why a group of people stuck with QC bullshit concerning motorbikes haven't simply incorporated a company in say Ontario, sold their bikes to the company in kind exchange of preferred shares then "rented" their bike for those times they needed them. The company could insure the bikes under a corporate policy in Ontario then you could be free to ride in Canada year round, including QC which if your bike is plated there can not be ridden year round even if the weather permits it.

Perhaps the logistics of that plan are more involved than I'd assume them to be.

I like your thinking with regards to a shell company renting back the bike. However, the logistics would be a PITA. Besides, my grandfather fought for the freedom of this generation and now the Quebec regime is taking it all away. As for them knowing that my bike was in storage in Vancouver for the winter, they wouldn't, unless I had a claim on the way home. In which case it would take a minimum wage P.I all of a day to find out that the bike was in storage over the winter, so the insurance company could walk.

I simply cannot believe that Quebecers put up with this shit.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
I simply cannot believe that Quebecers put up with this shit.
Me neither. I left in '79 and would never live there again. I was back this past April and nothing has changed.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
xhungus
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
... I am now being told by my insurance company that Quebecers can not take their motorcycles out of Quebec for more than 180 consecutive days...
The reason you are not allowed to take your motorcycle out of Quebec for more than 180 consecutive days is because the rest of Canada IS allowed to take their bike out of their province for more than 180 consecutive days.

Quebec would be a great place to live if it weren't for the provincial government. Their artificial quest for a "unique society" has ruined the place.
xhungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Ask for a copy of the policy. It doesn't need to explain the rationale but if it isn't written down then it would have no legs in court. QC insurance is provided by the govt like BC? Are you forced to use them, ie no competition? Does this policy and the exclusion of an alternative insurance provided interferr with charter rights ....seems almost anything can be linked back to you rights... A fun exercise but unless you're really committed to it I'd just leave it at that.

Still think the establishment of a legit company or coop that rents motos is the way to go. Cheaper insurance, less BS and you can flip the QC govt the bird. It'll be fun to what them focus their entire effort into creating some law that further limits the freedom of movement or to conduct business in any of the provinces of Canada.

In reality I think you'd be fine to do as you plan. There is no way, even if you had a claim, that they would be able to determine how long the bike was out of province. Hell bring a token piece of the bike and the lic plate back with you and claim you only left parts in BC if it ever became an issue.

Can't imagine the reasoning, maybe the gov't is pissed at all the QC'ers that move to Florida for the winter and spend their dollars there.

CanadianX screwed with this post 09-04-2014 at 06:08 AM
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,984
We live in BC stored our bikes in Arizona one winter. I had to note the change on our non ICBC policies. This cost about 100 more per bike.

The bigger issue now for Canadians leaving bikes in the states is FATCA and it's ancillary issues you need to be able to prove you were not in the states too long

RE Quebec, we live near UBC, there are tons of Grad students living here ,from Quebec , running Quebec plates. Not to mention the Hull residents that work in Ottawa, Canadian Forces personnel on long courses , etc.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Pete O Static OP
Adventure Seeker

CanadianX Yeah, I am thinking the same thing with regards to "show it to me in writing". It says nothing about any restrictions within Canada on my copy. My broker here tells me that most Quebecers only ride their bikes as far as Tim Hortons. At least she gave me a laugh during an otherwise frustrating conversation! The plate basically covers the accident benefits portion of the insurance and the SAAQ ( Same as ICBC ) has no issue at all with the bike being stored in BC for the winter.

So basically, my broker has come up with a plan. Ride the bike to Vancouver, then cancel my current policy. Take out a third party storage only policy in B.C. Then in the spring, she will shop another policy for me, giving me 180 days to basically ride back. What a PITA.

If there are any other Quebecers planning a trip, heed this little bump. I think most just go anyway but the insurance company has a big out if you go past the 180 consecutive day limit. Nasty that they don't tell you about it either. The only reason I asked was because the dealer in Vancouver was prudent enough to tell me, "make sure your insurance company knows the bike will be stored here."
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Confirm that you won't be penalized for a policy cancellation, sometimes you get nailed with some higher rate or even being considered a new rider because you haven't been insured for a period of time on a bike.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Pete O Static OP
Adventure Seeker

Yeah....that is a good point! Thanks.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Have you tried to call another broker to confirm this?

I live in quebec and I've never hear of that.

But...everything is possible in that shithole....
Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #12
Pete O Static OP
Adventure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnotte View Post
Have you tried to call another broker to confirm this?

I live in quebec and I've never hear of that.

But...everything is possible in that shithole....

Yeah I have learned quite a bit. I am not surprised that you haven't heard of this as the insurance companies do not advertise the fact. I have been talking with the insurance bureau of Canada about it and have discovered the following.

In Quebec, you cannot sue someone or be sued by someone in the event of an accident with your motorcycle. This is why our premiums are quite a bit lower than everyone else. I pay $320/yr for full replacement value and 2 million liability for a 2014 1200GSA. The higher cost of our plates covers set payouts for death and injury within the province, keeping the lawyers out of the equation.

However, when you leave the province, you can now be sued if you have an accident or become liable for some other cause. This is where the individual companies reduce their exposure to risk by limiting the amount of time the client can spend outside of the province. For some, it is as little as 90 days. You are best advised to check. I just switched companies and am now with DesJardins who have said they would at least review each case individually and likely make an extension beyond 180 days if you have a good relationship with them.

When I explained to Intact, my previous insurer, that the bike would simply be in storage, they said that if my bike were to catch fire for some reason and burn the building down, I would be sued and they didn't want that risk. So, it all comes down to the fact that within the province of Quebec, insurance companies are protected from legal action.

While I applaud the effort to eliminate ambulance chasing lawyers, I think the companies should be obligated to disclose this little gem of a limitation in bold writing.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:04 AM   #13
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quebec, the only place where you can steal a bike, ran over from the police, almost kill yourself in a crash and the SAAQ will take care of you the rest of your life, they will even paid your bike jacket if you damaged it in the crash....
Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote