User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,436
Gasoline Prices 2014

Bit of a rant here. I live in an area [Metro Vancouver] that has traditionally had the highest gas prices in North and Central America. As of April 21/14, pm, the local stations are running $1.50,9 /litre for 87 octane. The experts say that we're a month from peak fuel prices in North America, so the all time high[$1.51] is pretty likely to be eclipsed any moment. Just outside the GVRD [Greater Vancouver Regional District], outside of regional transit levies [Translink] , in the city of Abbotsford, it's $1.32,9 /litre.

Here's where my rant starts. I live 6 miles from the U.S. border. Regional border towns of south west BC like Pt. Roberts, Blaine, Lynden, and Sumas, Washington currently have 87 octane for $1.01 /litre Cdn. Add 2% if you want to pay with a credit card [foreign transaction fee on most all credit cards] . Consider a 100 litre fuel tank, even if you use your credit card, we're talking a $49cdn savings. Of course, it's all tax, federal, provincial, municipal and transit tax here.

Ok, rant over.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,283
One word answer " TAXES".

It's our culture !
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM   #3
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,928
I'm with you on this one Steve. I was surprised to see the pump price of 1.46 for regular yesterday!
Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM   #4
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 839
Gas buddy

What I find odd is just before a major holiday the prices skyrocket by 10 cents a liter here. Now wait a few days and it will drop back down, but they say there is some gas problem somewhere to have to raise prices. One of the ways I find that helps is the app gas buddy, it gives you prices of gas in your area. It also has a map that you can look for prices further away if you want, this helps while travling.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #5
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
The Canadian gas game.... price goes up just before weekends and holidays and drops a day after. News teams pick up on it, a formal investigation ensues and the final report says its some supply problem some where. Funny, doesn't seem to affect the US stations whenever I'm there. I must have saved thousands over decades by playing the game and filling up on thursday and tuesday. I remember several yrs back when the heat was on the gas companies over it and the gouging tapered off. Thats when the prices rose a few cents a litre every week, now its back and its 10cents a litre. (that would be 38cents a gal in the US where there would probably be shooting in the streets if it happened there over night)
Also interesting how heating fuel went to the highest prices ever within a month of it being the coldest winter in yrs. Supply and demand ?? This are not product someone wants, its something everyone needs. Same for electricity. My home heating fuel company gave the excuse that their suppliers are selling huge amounts of propane/natural gas to Japan now at ridiculous profits causing supply problems here. May be some truth to that as checking with other suppliers said they were not taking any new business to ensure they had enough for existing customers. Nice way to do business with our natural resources. Whatever gov't regulation there is isn't working, and theres obvious collusion.
The only side benefit to the gasoline side of it is its cheaper 1.5hrs away from the GTA, and I'm only 1hr away, so its a bonus to ride the hell away from it to better roads and trails. That, and the fact they wait a day longer to raise the prices out here.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM   #6
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 358
Why would the Government do anything about the price hikes, when they're the big winners in the game? Federal & Provincial Governments will rake in over 5 cents of the hike.

My rants over for today, thank you!
Ontario GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM   #7
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
Why would the Government do anything about the price hikes, when they're the big winners in the game? Federal & Provincial Governments will rake in over 5 cents of the hike.
My rants over for today, thank you!
The taxes are fixed per litre are they not ? (the fed/provincial amounts are shown on the pump) So pump price wouldn't change what the gov takes in. Which would put all the profits to the gas retailers/suppliers, mostly to the retailers cause they bought the fuel at a previously lower price.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #8
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Yes gas prices are getting scary! I try to use my Advantage Canadian Tire credit when I buy stuff and use it at the CTC pumps. I could lower my price of gas by 10 cents but I don't want that much on my card every month. This month I can get 5 cents off gas at CTC gas pumps. That helps because yesterday the pump said 133.2 and I filled up at 128.2 Of course I had to drive/ride an half hour to get to a town where the price to start with was that good. GOOD? Shezzz how can saying 133.2 be good?

The price yesterday, closest gas station to me was 136.9
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #9
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Receipts from Loblaws (maybe other affiliates too) now have a fuel saving bit on them giving 5-10cents off a litre, on top of the normal 2cent a litre cash back for groceries. Have to go in the booth to pay. I saved almost $6 the other day filling the suv, which to me is worth it for the 50' walk.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #10
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,698
You Canadians pay more for gas...we Americans pay very little for gas...however we get to pay thousands of dollars for health care. I'd much rather have very low health care costs but have to pay more for the gas in my car. Not sure if your gas helps subsidize your health care system like it does in the UK...but that would be fine by me.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #11
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

The USA gas game works like this: lets say 99% of foreign oil comes in through New York Harbor. If there is a hurricane in Texas the oil companies claim hardship and spike the fuel through the roof. Oil companies make record profits and are subsidized by our own government...so its a win win win for big oil and loss for everyone else.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #12
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,436
There are a few supposed reasons for this of course. Supply/demand is a reason I will believe in. Early spring is traditionally the time when refineries shut down for 1-2 weeks, to switch over to winter-summer blend fuels, and take advantage to do maintenance. This lack of supply reduces supply which increases demand. No,,,,it's all about tax burden here, pisses me off. I personally have no problem with oil companies making a profit. If there was no money in it, nobody would do it, and everyone would have a bicycle and a horse, and heat their houses with wood.

As to the thoughts that we Cdns pay more for fuel, but less for healthcare than in the USA, that's a big inexactitude. I personally pay $75 a month for basic health care coverage in B.C. Add to that the fact that in B.C. anyways, 76% of every tax dollar collected provincially goes directly to health care.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,538
Not much you can do man.. Try to conserve a little yourself I guess.

I try to use the motto...

"don't get upset over things I can't control". I certainly can't control fuel prices. 1.35 here today.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post

As to the thoughts that we Cdns pay more for fuel, but less for healthcare than in the USA, that's a big inexactitude. I personally pay $75 a month for basic health care coverage in B.C. Add to that the fact that in B.C. anyways, 76% of every tax dollar collected provincially goes directly to health care.
Your taxes support your healthcare. we pay taxes to support healthcare and we have to pay out of pocket to by insurance. My cost is through my employer and its $150 a year for the coverage with a $4000 deductible and another $3000 copay after the deductible...means if I have a $100,000 medical bill I will pay $7000 out of pocket. I am not sure how rates have changed with the new ACA but a few years ago I had to buy a month of coverage seperate of work...it had a $50,000 deductible and cost me $600 for the month

but I digress...no need to turn this into a medical discussion.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #15
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
As of April 21/14, pm, the local stations are running $1.50,9 /litre for 87 octane. The experts say that we're a month from peak fuel prices in North America, so the all time high[$1.51] is pretty likely to be eclipsed any moment.
That is certainly not the all time high for North America! I was paying that and up, everywhere north of Smithers BC last summer on my way to the Arctic, and paid $1.79/L for regular in Inuvik!

We sure wont get any sympathy from northerners!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote