User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
vette OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
North to Yellowknife

Next July, will be heading back up to Alaska from the lower 48 and want to drive up to Yellowknife on my travels north. How are the roads, gas stops, lodging from the lower province such as Edmonton, Fairview areas?
vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,008
The roads are fine, but you'll be disappointed if you need regular twisty fixes :)

Gas stations are...common enough, if not exactly on every corner. Once north of Valleyview I would be stopping at every town to fuel up just to be on the safe side. Once north of High Level, fill up at every opportunity out of necessity. I drive that road up to fifteen times each year, PM me if you want more specific info.

And have fun - YK is a wicked awesome place

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
JOHNAKI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'm planning on making Yellowknife one of my stops on my Alaska ride next summer. Found this video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USu-xQj9aWg

Seemed kind of boring except for the wildlife. Road looked in good shape though.

John
JOHNAKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
dustycrust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Stopping for fuel at every given opportunity is very important, as the distances between fuel stops can reach the 300-350km ranges. The road is paved and very straight, however gets "interesting" from bechoko to yellowknife. Its basically a roller coaster because of the frost heaves in the road, and all the potholes

Are you planning on heading through the western part of the NWT once you leave yellowknife? as in the liard trail, so Fort Simpson, Fort Liard etc. Lots of gravel that way and long distances between fuel stops.

I live in Yellowknife, so if you are going to come up I can show you all the cool places to go around here!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #5
DualSport855
what he said

Oddometer: 102
I did a loop that way from Calgary. As mentioned before, long straight boring roads. I had to pack a lot of extra fuel. I used the GasBuddy app to plan fuel and it was very accurate. I also called ahead and made sure fuel was available. Another big factor is fire season and road closures. The NWT has a great website and Twitter feed to keep up with that. http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca

2007 JK Wrangler and KTM 990

Riding in Alberta, BC, NWT and Yukon is most amazing.
DualSport855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
And take your fishing rod.......I stopped at many of the road side river crossings and caught fish usually on the first or second cast!
You can buy your licence at the Alberta/NWT border in the info center.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
vette OP
Adventurer

Yellowknife

Thanks guys for all of the info. I'll be heading back from Yellowknife towards the AlCan and up to Dawson. Running a 2014 Harley Streetglide with 6 gal. tank- 200 mile range. Had a 2008 model when I went to the Artic Circle back in 09 and fuel was no issue at that time. Yes respect the heaves and dips on the highways when in the North country. CTH
Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Cal
Studly Adventurer

May I suggest you go from Yellowknife to Fort Simpson and then to Liard and back to the Alcan just north of Fort Nelson.The Liard route is gravel until the BC border and then the most amazing new pavement you have ever seen all the way to the Alaska highway.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
vette OP
Adventurer

question for Cal

How is the Liard when it is wet.... with a touring bike...sloppy to say the least....
Old 11-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Play it by ear and if the day is blue take the Liard route
Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Inmate cberry did a RR last year called.... Melbourne Fl to Yellowknife NWT.
He did it on an r1200RT.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette View Post
How is the Liard when it is wet.... with a touring bike...sloppy to say the least....
Shoganai did on a k11rs a few years back. it was wet when she did it.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 554
NWT Roads

The road to Yellowknife is paved/chip sealed unless being repaired. From where you would turn north to Yellowknife to within about 50 klm of Fort Simpson is gravel and from that same gravel/chip seal section 50 klm East of Simpson to the BC border is gravel.

I have ridden both the Liard and Simpson roads 3 times. The southerly road,#3, is more narrow and more scenic though I haven't enjoyed it in the wet. The #1 road into Simpson I have ridden in the wet twice and the combination of the existing soil, calcium chloride and moisture can be a bit of a challenge. It can be sloppy,slippy and a mess. You might want a lightly aggressive tire. I've done the road wearing Tourances, Trail Wings and Hidenaus and I would feel more confident with the K60's.

Pic of the Liard route heading south. Note the surface. This pea gravel stuff could get exciting in the deeper spots, best to stay on top if possible.

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
good stuff .... also planning to visit NWT next year, possibly early September to avoid THE BIG AIRSHOW and also avoid early snow .... the road looks very gravelly ... but my DL650 should be ok with K60 tires .... thats the plan at least

oh and it's not the Alcan ok ..... ALASKA HIGWAY .... come on get it right
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Cal
Studly Adventurer

If The Big Air Show means blackflies and mosquitoes.... I went the first of June and stayed 3 weeks, camping all but 3 days and the bugs were not bad at all!!! I fished everyday and was not bothered at all, tried to time my visit to the arctic grayling run but was about a week to late