User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,112
Rotella at Crappy Tire

Crappy Tire has the pails of Rotella 5/40 Synthetic on for $127.99 this week... These are American pails so they are 18.9 L instead of 20L, but even at that still a pretty good buy...

BC RIDING 2014
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
That kills me. Retailers complain about customers cross-border shopping, and here's Canadian Tire doing the same thing. If you can't fight'em, join'em.

Reminds when I went to test drive a Subaru back in 2007 when the C$ traded above the US$. The dealership didn't have any new 4-cyl turbo demo cars, so the sales person told me I could test drive one of the 2.5L turbos that just came in from...the US!. The dealership was bringing up late model used US cars to sell in Canada! The sales person said they made more money on selling the used US cars than they did selling new Canadian cars.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
That kills me. Retailers complain about customers cross-border shopping, and here's Canadian Tire doing the same thing. If you can't fight'em, join'em.

Reminds when I went to test drive a Subaru back in 2007 when the C$ traded above the US$. The dealership didn't have any new 4-cyl turbo demo cars, so the sales person told me I could test drive one of the 2.5L turbos that just came in from...the US!. The dealership was bringing up late model used US cars to sell in Canada! The sales person said they made more money on selling the used US cars than they did selling new Canadian cars.
Don't know about the cross border thing....them Rotella labels usually say that the product is "Made in Canada" out of local and imported components.

Hint....I think the Canadian Tire brand of Diesel oil is also Rotella just re-badged for them. The pails are identical, made by BWay and they do have plants in Canada. If you visit CT look under the pail.....says 21 L. and no US markings.

I'll doublecheck next week I could use a pail but they'll probably be out by then as usual.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
So, about the price of Rotella gallon jugs at Wally World just across the border, with all the benefits of having to haul a 5 gallon jug around
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Just wait a wee while, I hear they're bring out a dehydrated version which might fit into your pocket.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Don't know about the cross border thing....them Rotella labels usually say that the product is "Made in Canada" out of local and imported components.

Hint....I think the Canadian Tire brand of Diesel oil is also Rotella just re-badged for them. The pails are identical, made by BWay and they do have plants in Canada. If you visit CT look under the pail.....says 21 L. and no US markings.

I'll doublecheck next week I could use a pail but they'll probably be out by then as usual.
When I lived up island I had the Shell bulk plant bring in some pails for me which came from Alberta... The Alberta stuff came in dark 20 liter pails, of which I paid about $119 per at the time. The Can tire stuff comes in the same white pail as the 15/40 non synthetic stuff and are the 20 quart (18.9L) size or 5 us gallons..

BC RIDING 2014
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669;26005313m
Just go the customer service desk and get a raincheck. I do that every time they have a good tool sale and are out of stock. They have to give you a raincheck unless it species no rain check in the flyer (Which is sometimes for seasonal items).

A few of the CDN Tire stores in Vancouver are brutal for never having sale stock, and then it appears like a miracle after the sale is over.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
Just go the customer service desk and get a raincheck. I do that every time they have a good tool sale and are out of stock. They have to give you a raincheck unless it species no rain check in the flyer (Which is sometimes for seasonal items).

A few of the CDN Tire stores in Vancouver are brutal for never having sale stock, and then it appears like a miracle after the sale is over.
Raincheck....closest CT is 2.5 hrs away. And I have enough of their tools especially the ones with microswitches, they all fail on me. Spent 2.5 hrs on their rotary tool aka Dremel copy just yesterday to fix yet another microswitch. Yeah they sell Dremel, just never have them in stock so I grabbed the Mastercraft "sales loss leader" as I needed one right away after the real Dremel died. But at least the Dremel lasted over 20 years...

But yes funny not having the item in stock, on the coast like in Victoria just ask them to check the stock at other stores if they don't have it. Next store 10-15 minutes away may just have 25-30 of them sales loss leaders.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Critt
Apprentice Advrider

Oddometer: 144
Battery tender on sale too. Picked up a couple Jr's... work well.

'03 BMW F650GS Dakar - sold - https://i.imgur.com/l8vpFTw.jpg
Critt is online now   Reply With Quote