User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
Oil&Air OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ganaraska, Durham Forest

Hey I'm new to this forum, I live just south of the Ganaraska and blast through it on my R1200GS from time to time. Haven't been to the Durham Forest yet, can anyone recommend a route? Other fire roads to recommend in the Durham area?
Oil&Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
TorontoAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil&Air View Post
Hey I'm new to this forum, I live just south of the Ganaraska and blast through it on my R1200GS from time to time. Haven't been to the Durham Forest yet, can anyone recommend a route? Other fire roads to recommend in the Durham area?
I don't ride on gravel but I don't think I've ever seen anything fire route/gravel roads that's interesting in Durham except Raglan Pits area. Lots of fine sand there and lots of crazy dirt bikers flying in all directions, not really safe.

If you are interested in going further North try Havelock area. I've driven thruogh Devil's 4 Mile Road (north of Cty Rd 46) and it was a nice 15 minute drive through some hilly gravel roads. I'm sure there's more like it nearby. I do recall reading somewhere about a guy going from Oshawa to Apsley on gravel roads the whole way. It was a Canadian trail website mentioned on this forum.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 355
There are a couple of nice tracks just north of Durham that you can take but, you would have to wait till later in the summer, until it drys up. Also, lot's of great stuff a little farther north. I did a lot of exploring connecting gravel roads and un-maintained roads when I had my GS.

I have always enjoyed the Devil's 4 mile stretch which, I usually work into a couple of morning rides each summer.

If you pm me, I have some GPS tracks that may get you started, otherwise buy the MapArt Ontario backroads and start exploring. Knobbies tires would be the tire of choice, when exploring.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Oil&Air OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'll check out the Devil's 4 mile road near Havelock.

I've been riding on Hedenau K60's for a while. They work pretty well on gravel/dirt at lower pressure settings.
Oil&Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Go a little farther passed Marmara on hwy7 and you will see the rail trail. You can run all the way to Bancroft and beyond. And there is many many side trails.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
TorontoAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
Go a little farther passed Marmara on hwy7 and you will see the rail trail. You can run all the way to Bancroft and beyond. And there is many many side trails.

While we are at it, are there any good paved roads you guys would recommend within a few 100kms of Peterborough/Oshawa? I've experienced some nice ones just north of Kingston to Tweed and Cobourg. Forget the numbers but real nice. New pave with lots of twisties and good scenery. I know everyone says 507 but found no pleasure there. 504 around Chandos seems ok but sandy. There isn't much for mountains around here but wondering if there are any hidden gems with nice views.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 507
Although not the best scenery, there is a nice loop that goes from Lindsay, to Fenelon Falls, to Bobcaygeon, and then back to Lindsay. Some nice pavement with sweeping corners (especially between Bobcaygeon and Lindsay).

Not a long ride, but nice if you have a few hours with nothing to do.
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #8
Joel ph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
nice road north of Havelok

Hi

I don't remember the number but there's a road that goes north from Havelok to Petroglyphs prov. park and it's a pretty nice ride. The park is a pretty good place to stretch your legs too.

There's also a road that goes north from Brighton, turns east and continues through a few small towns (one being Frankford) to north of Belleville. It's a nice ride, sweeping curves and good scenery.

The road heading north from Trenton is OK too. It follows the river and goes past Batawa which is an interesting place to have a look at around the old factory. It has this broad grassy area between the factory and what used to be a post office and a Royal Bank. I was there a few years ago and was struck by the stark, sort of futuristic vibe of the space.

All these routes are paved but I did find a road allowance running east/west that travelled quite a ways from Belleville. I'd likely stay out of it until well into the summer though. I imagine quite a few trees will be down so I'd wait until the farmers that use it clear it out.

A route along Lake Ontario can be followed from Newcastle to Brighton. It can be rough as the "pavement" isn't always in good shape.

There's also lots of enjoyable riding on Prince Edward county and in Northumberland.

Ron Brown's ghost town books can lead you to some really nice roads and interesting destinations plus he has a book of suggested driving routes that are also nice to follow. He also has a book about abandoned railways in Ontario which can make riding the rail trails a bit more interesting, at least for me it does.
Joel ph is offline   Reply With Quote