User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 300
BC Big Adventure Traily Alternate

Good things can't always last forever! Thanks for all your efforts Mike. If there are any thoughts about a next year ride, can you accept volunteers to help?

I'm hoping those who are already interested in the advance ride into Goldbridge might still be up to a ride. As it stands, it looks like a handfull of Islanders would be meeting in Brittania Beach around Sept. 2nd for 3~4 days of backroads exploration. Then, followup was planned with the BCBAT, but we now can make our own agenda.

Maybe make our own Gold Rush Tour? Outsiders interested?

Nothing completely organized, just a bunch of like minded riders working on a consensus. Camping & cafe/pub meals? Route ideas? Same time slot?

Ideas ~ comments?
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 343
Can't make it until Sept. 3rd.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
Csubi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I'm still interested. However I'm a noob at trail riding. Should I buy new tires?? I don't have Knobbies....
Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 528
Food/tracks for thought?

These are tracks on a map (geographic dreaming if you will) - parts of which I have done and others I have not personally travelled - but with a bit of input from others maybe we could find out if all the bridges are currently there and if there are any washed out sections ....and if the local gas cans are still pumping.

These tracks can be sliced and diced in many ways - this is just my suggestion.

So, my suggestion is a meet in Lillooet

Leg1a: Bridge at Boston Bar to Lillooet - for those coming from the south who want off 1a = 117km

Leg1: Lillooet to Riske Creek = 253km

Leg2: Riske Creek to Barkerville = 293km

Leg3: Barkerville to 100 Mile House = 348km

...oh and YES this would require camping equipment!

The everyone finds their own way home.

I will post the tracks in the GPS Tracks Alaska & Canada for others to look through and propose alternatives.

Link to GPX file is here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post24486932

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 09:41 PM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csubi View Post
I'm still interested. However I'm a noob at trail riding. Should I buy new tires?? I don't have Knobbies....
More info needed ... type of bike? What rubber you have now? How much dirt vs pavement you planning on this year? 90 /10? 80/20? 50/50? Knobbies is a huge bag for you to root around in. Get some ideas in place, then we can offer opinions. Most trailies come with tires almost adequate for the type of riding we have been doing the past few years (with some qualifications).

A comfy seat would be a better place to start if not presently sufficient for all day riding.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
Food for thought?

These are tracks on a map - parts of which I have done and others I have not personally travelled - but with a bit of input from others maybe we could find out if all the bridges are currently there and if there are any washed out sections.

These tracks can be sliced and diced in many ways - this is just my suggestion.

So, my suggestion is a meet in Lillooet

Leg1a: Bridge at Boston Bar to Lillooet - for those coming from the south who want off 1a = 117km
Leg1: Lillooet to Riske Creek = 253km
Leg2: Riske Creek to Barkerville = 293km
Leg3: Barkerville to 100 Mile House = 348km

The everyone finds their own way home.
My priority is still to meet with others for a ride through the Bridge River area, for 3 nights' camping in Goldbridge, then join up after that. We would be coming from Vancouver Island via Horsehoe Bay, Whistler, & Pemberton to get there.

If you want to meet in Lillooet, we can do that easily, but you would miss the Bridge River area, something worth expending a little more effort for. Time & extra mileage would be your limitation. Going a 100km more would get you joining us in Pemberton Sept.3, a couple days earlier. The Duffy Lake Road is also worth the ride.

Another option from Lillooet would be to go north along the West Pavilion (west side of the Fraser to Big Bar ferry & then cross over to Dog Creek, or turn south along the East Fraser road to Clinton. Then cross east over to Bonaparte lake area & go north from there.

Is Barkerville an absolute necessity? The area west of Williams Lake also has lots to offer.

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 10:06 PM
Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Looking for a head count for Goldbridge portion ... so far it's

Fishnbiker Ken
OurBC Gary
Ryder Mark
Argus Dan

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 01:50 PM
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker View Post
My priority is still to meet with others for a ride through the Bridge River area, for 3 nights' camping in Goldbridge, then join up after that. We would be coming from Vancouver Island via Horsehoe Bay, Whistler, & Pemberton to get there.

If you want to meet in Lillooet, we can do that easily, but you would miss the Bridge River area, something worth expending a little more effort for. Time & extra mileage would be your limitation. Going a 100km more would get you joining us in Pemberton Sept.3, a couple days earlier. The Duffy Lake Road is also worth the ride.

Another option from Lillooet would be to go north along the West Pavilion (west side of the Fraser to Big Bar ferry & then cross over to Dog Creek, or turn south along the East Fraser road to Clinton. Then cross east over to Bonaparte lake area & go north from there.

Is Barkerville an absolute necessity? The area west of Williams Lake also has lots to offer.
can't get enough of that sand eh. It's worse going downhill. I'm going to try and make this ride including the Goldbridge portion
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:

Sure!

Post up a map or tracks so we can see exactly where you are thinking of heading - I am open to all suggestions........I just respond better to visual stimuli

Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
IslandSpark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I could be talked into a goldbridge trip if you're looking for players...

BC, Canada to Panama on a clapped out KLR - 2010
Follow me via Spot: Click here!
IslandSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...s.k6Ix07Pjng3I

I made up this map, but if anyone can show me how to embed as a picture, please feel free to help out.

I also want to make it clear that I am NOT organizing a regulated ride as past events have done. I will only act as a guide to those wanting road or fishing info for this area. Everyone is responsible for themselves, their own maps, their accommodations, food, & is free to deviate. Just use common sense & don't ride alone. All roads shown are just suggestions for a couple days' enjoyment.

This area has enough to offer that it has kept me coming back for decades. I just want to share the experience. Shore fishing is also available at many lakes.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...s.k6Ix07Pjng3I

I made up this map, but if anyone can show me how to embed as a picture, please feel free to help out.

TRYING TO HELP!

I also want to make it clear that I am NOT organizing a regulated ride as past events have done. I will only act as a guide to those wanting road or fishing info for this area. Everyone is responsible for themselves, their own maps, their accommodations, food, & is free to deviate. Just use common sense & don't ride alone. All roads shown are just suggestions for a couple days' enjoyment.

YES!!! ME TOO!!!!

OK so here is the 2nd Food for Thought/Tracks.

Meet in Pemberton or Lillooet as start options.

It looks like you can do a-kind-of-Crazy8 from Pemberton to Lillooet .......and then Lillooet back to Pemberton with Carpenter Lake (very nice) as the center of the Crazy8..........plus some a couple of bypasses and a one-way track up McGillvray Creek.

Here is what it looks like:

And here are the associated tracks: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post24491970

Pemberton to Lillooet Day1= 183km
Lillooet to Pemberton Day2= 268km
Tyax Bypass = 15.6km
Bypass 1/2 Circle to McGillvray Creek Track= 24.8km
McGillvray Creek Track (oneway)= 31.5km

J

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 02:15 PM
Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 343
Tyax

I like the possibility of staying at Tyax Resort one night for a shower and use of the facilities.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
OK so here is the 2nd Food for Thought/Tracks.

Meet in Pemberton or Lillooet as start options.

It looks like you can do a-kind-of-Crazy8 from Pemberton to Lillooet .......and then Lillooet back to Pemberton with Carpenter Lake (very nice) as the center of the Crazy8..........plus some a couple of bypasses and a one-way track up McGillvray Creek.

Here is what it looks like:

And here are the associated tracks: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post24491970

Pemberton to Lillooet Day1= 183km
Lillooet to Pemberton Day2= 268km
Tyax Bypass = 15.6km
Bypass 1/2 Circle to McGillvray Creek Track= 24.8km
McGillvray Creek Track (oneway)= 31.5km

J
Looks like something. Just a heads-up about the section going up the upper Yalakom towards Mud Lakes or north (yellow road at top/RHS) ... longtime friends did that several times, & all agree it would be extremely difficult for any bike over 350cc.

OurBC & I did 50km up the Yalakom a few years ago. Long narrow valley & canyon, nice scenery but not very interesting variety beyond the first 10km.

I'm personally looking at some in/outs near Bralorne & Gun Lake. It's part of a longstanding effort to find all the sites that a well known Bralorne photographer got his images. Many of his images in the Goldbridge Hotel pub
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #15
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Looks like something. Just a heads-up about the section going up the upper Yalakom towards Mud Lakes or north (yellow road at top/RHS) ... longtime friends did that several times, & all agree it would be extremely difficult for any bike over 350cc.

YUP that does not sound good, but if anyone has any recent info or on the ground experience, feel free to amend the GPX tracks and repost.

OurBC & I did 50km up the Yalakom a few years ago. Long narrow valley & canyon, nice scenery but not very interesting variety beyond the first 10km.

There are not a lot of other options for circular routes in that vicinity, but the nice thing about a circle8 is that if a track does not work out at some point one can always turn around and head back the other way and make it back to the start/end point.

I'm personally looking at some in/outs near Bralorne & Gun Lake. It's part of a longstanding effort to find all the sites that a well known Bralorne photographer got his images. Many of his images in the Goldbridge Hotel pub.

Yes that sounds interesting!

Ok, so if anyone wants to use the posted track as a start point and suggest amendments feel free to move this project forward. Plans are meant to be amended, but for those of us who are not regulars to the area - starting with a solid plan is a good idea.

It is started, so now I will wait for others with more local knowledge to move this forward.

If anyone has so good/interesting/nice camp spots/fishing spots in the form of waypoints, but is not sure how to add them to the posted tracks, just post the LAT/LONG coordinates here and I will add them to the posted track as Waypoints.

J

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 06:15 AM