User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
northern OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Any Whitehorse members?

My wife has recently accepted a job at Yukon College and she will be moving there in the New Year and the rest of the family will be following in the summer.

Just wondering if there are any members on here that currently live in YXY?

I am wondering what the gear head scene is like? Many dual sport riders? What about car clubs or cruise events?
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
helidude
defy gravity

Oddometer: 141
probably more folks there than in fort smith!

...during the summer Whitehorse is a mecca for riders enroute to the dempster and Alaska hwys.

I was pleased to meet ADV members doing the tire-change at the local Honda shop prior to their continuing journey northbound, or heading south.

Always a friendly bunch of people whether they were on dualsports or cruisers.
helidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,842
I lived in Fort Smith from 2006 - 2008. Where you there then? What bike you got?

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
northern OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
I lived in Fort Smith from 2006 - 2008. Where you there then? What bike you got?

Ben

I was teaching at the opposite end of the College!

I had an XT350 then, sold it after you left and bought a KLR650, and this past summer bought the BMW F800GS.

It was after you left that I found out you had stored your KLR in Terry's backyard.........

Blaine
Old 12-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Probably a surprising number of members. You'll like the riding opportunities, with lots of exploration roads and little erosion, you can get all sorts of places. Main roads like the Canol(s), side roads up to the alpine, it's all good. Within half an hour of Whitehorse, you can be some reasonably remote places.

Whitehorse is a really deceptive town, there's lots of money here, with corresponding vehicles. The Yukon is typically #1 or #2 across all of Canada in both per capita education and income levels. Most of it's hidden, but don't be surprised to occasionally see a grubby guy in a Ferrari, or...my surprise this fall was at the show 'n shine, where a genuine AC Shelby Cobra was displayed. I recall it being a 427, meaning that could be a $1M car. You don't see this sort of stuff on the streets, but GT350 Mustangs, hot rods, so on, abound in garages.

My tastes are more of "when in Rome" so I ditched sports cars on moving here in 1987, and projects include 3 Willys 4x4 wagons, an FJ45 pick up, a couple 1948 vintage Power Wagons, and some other stuff. Bikes out back include a Versys 1000, '05 KLR650, '03 KLX400R and FZ1 and some other stuff.

Riding season is short, but daylight is long - you'll be used to that. No real organizations or clubs that are very active. The Gold Wing guys get together, otherwise it's informal. The shops are generally pretty good - Listers is Suzuki/Kawasaki, Yukon Honda is...well, Honda plus KTM, and Yukon Yamaha. There's also a Polaris/Victory dealer.

As Helidude noted, lots of riders passing through in summer - some too early, when they don't check the weather, always a bit funny...no, this is not California. To their credit, some of the hardiest and earliest are Harley riders, followed by the ubiquitous BMW GS crowd.

One tip, I think it takes about a year to see the undercurrents in this deceptive little town - not that they're bad, but there are lots of connections and relations that may not be obvious at first. Be polite! You won't know who knows who for some time...

Welcome. Have fun!
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
northern OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Probably a surprising number of members. You'll like the riding opportunities, with lots of exploration roads and little erosion, you can get all sorts of places. Main roads like the Canol(s), side roads up to the alpine, it's all good. Within half an hour of Whitehorse, you can be some reasonably remote places.

Whitehorse is a really deceptive town, there's lots of money here, with corresponding vehicles. The Yukon is typically #1 or #2 across all of Canada in both per capita education and income levels. Most of it's hidden, but don't be surprised to occasionally see a grubby guy in a Ferrari, or...my surprise this fall was at the show 'n shine, where a genuine AC Shelby Cobra was displayed. I recall it being a 427, meaning that could be a $1M car. You don't see this sort of stuff on the streets, but GT350 Mustangs, hot rods, so on, abound in garages.

My tastes are more of "when in Rome" so I ditched sports cars on moving here in 1987, and projects include 3 Willys 4x4 wagons, an FJ45 pick up, a couple 1948 vintage Power Wagons, and some other stuff. Bikes out back include a Versys 1000, '05 KLR650, '03 KLX400R and FZ1 and some other stuff.

Riding season is short, but daylight is long - you'll be used to that. No real organizations or clubs that are very active. The Gold Wing guys get together, otherwise it's informal. The shops are generally pretty good - Listers is Suzuki/Kawasaki, Yukon Honda is...well, Honda plus KTM, and Yukon Yamaha. There's also a Polaris/Victory dealer.

As Helidude noted, lots of riders passing through in summer - some too early, when they don't check the weather, always a bit funny...no, this is not California. To their credit, some of the hardiest and earliest are Harley riders, followed by the ubiquitous BMW GS crowd.

One tip, I think it takes about a year to see the undercurrents in this deceptive little town - not that they're bad, but there are lots of connections and relations that may not be obvious at first. Be polite! You won't know who knows who for some time...

Welcome. Have fun!
Thanks, I have lived in the north almost 20 years and it sounds like a lot is the same.

Glad to know there is a show N shine in town. While I ride motorbikes and sleds my real passion is cars and trucks.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern View Post
Ben

I was teaching at the opposite end of the College!

I had an XT350 then, sold it after you left and bought a KLR650, and this past summer bought the BMW F800GS.

It was after you left that I found out you had stored your KLR in Terry's backyard.........

Blaine
Small world! Happy Christmas to you and everyone in Smith!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
My wife has recently accepted a job at Yukon College and she will be moving there in the New Year and the rest of the family will be following in the summer.

Just wondering if there are any members on here that currently live in YXY?

I am wondering what the gear head scene is like? Many dual sport riders? What about car clubs or cruise events?
There seem to be lots of dual sport riders, but the only motorcycle club or organization that I'm aware of is the YCCMA, which has been running Hare Scrambles a few times a year.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
northern OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladly View Post
There seem to be lots of dual sport riders, but the only motorcycle club or organization that I'm aware of is the YCCMA, which has been running Hare Scrambles a few times a year.
Thanks, my wife started work this morning in Whitehorse.

I will be looking to move over this summer.

As we start to look for a house, what are the energy choices for heating? Any idea what the electricity rate is or how much heating fuel or propane cost?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Buying an existing house is going to fix a system for you unless replacment is in the cards. A lot of newer condos have gone electric baseboard due to low installation costs. Not bad in that situation, due to high insulation levels and reduced exterior walls. There is an issue with electrical supply quantity, Yukon burns needs a fair bit of diesel generation in winter as demand outstrips the hydro supply. They've recently announced an intent to provide more hydro, but a substantial time lag for that. Public utility rate is regulated, but electrical will probably be going up.

Oil and propane vary in popularity. Propane cost has traditionally been more stable, oil more volatile. Propane can be cheaper, but packs about 30% (?) less energy per quantity, so...toss up?

#1 stove oil is about $1.25/litre. Not sure what bulk propane is, and it needs a tank heater. Electricity is about 0.13 per KWH plus a bunch of adjustments and riders. We don't have the lengthy power outages we used to have, but a wood stove back up is wise.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, my wife started work this morning in Whitehorse.

I will be looking to move over this summer.

As we start to look for a house, what are the energy choices for heating? Any idea what the electricity rate is or how much heating fuel or propane cost?
oil and propane stats on page 15 here
electrical rates here
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
northern OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Buying an existing house is going to fix a system for you unless replacment is in the cards. A lot of newer condos have gone electric baseboard due to low installation costs. Not bad in that situation, due to high insulation levels and reduced exterior walls. There is an issue with electrical supply quantity, Yukon burns needs a fair bit of diesel generation in winter as demand outstrips the hydro supply. They've recently announced an intent to provide more hydro, but a substantial time lag for that. Public utility rate is regulated, but electrical will probably be going up.

Oil and propane vary in popularity. Propane cost has traditionally been more stable, oil more volatile. Propane can be cheaper, but packs about 30% (?) less energy per quantity, so...toss up?

#1 stove oil is about $1.25/litre. Not sure what bulk propane is, and it needs a tank heater. Electricity is about 0.13 per KWH plus a bunch of adjustments and riders. We don't have the lengthy power outages we used to have, but a wood stove back up is wise.
Quote:
oil and propane stats on page 15 here
electrical rates here

Thanks, that really helps.

I get the difference in BTU's between fuel and propane and from the stats above it looks like the BTU cost is pretty equal right now between the two.

The Bill calculator helps as I had found the rate page, but trying to navigate the riders and the rebates doesn't make sense. Cheaper power rates than here, so that is nice.

I have been looking on Property Guys and Realtor at houses and noticed that some have electric heat. I was wondering if there was something that I needed to avoid.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, that really helps.

I get the difference in BTU's between fuel and propane and from the stats above it looks like the BTU cost is pretty equal right now between the two.

The Bill calculator helps as I had found the rate page, but trying to navigate the riders and the rebates doesn't make sense. Cheaper power rates than here, so that is nice.

I have been looking on Property Guys and Realtor at houses and noticed that some have electric heat. I was wondering if there was something that I needed to avoid.
really depends on how efficient the house is, what type of electric, and whether or not there is a woodstove or something supplementing it.

We built last year, and went with in-floor heat via an electric boiler, with a woodstove 'for backup'. But it's an extremely efficient house, and can be kept toasty warm with a couple of armloads of wood a day, so the boiler doesn't do much unless we're gone for an extended period

FWIW, firewood is going for $260/cord
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
northern OP
Adventurer

Quote:
really depends on how efficient the house is, what type of electric, and whether or not there is a woodstove or something supplementing it.

We built last year, and went with in-floor heat via an electric boiler, with a woodstove 'for backup'. But it's an extremely efficient house, and can be kept toasty warm with a couple of armloads of wood a day, so the boiler doesn't do much unless we're gone for an extended period

FWIW, firewood is going for $260/cord

Is it possible to cut your own firewood near Whitehorse? Here I have a woodlot on the edge of town and I harvest 10 cords a year.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Yes, harvesting your own is fine, there are designated areas for private vs. commercial cutters, First Nations, just check the regs.

I see I'm getting a deal at $1.25 for arctic stove oil vs. the table at $1.36. Might be because I buy from a comany that offers diesel card lock, so there is a discount if you use both their vehicle and home oil fuel. Oil tends to spike and drop, propane is more stable.

Older houses are built to about the same standards as down south - 2x4 walls, 2 mil poly vapour barrier, etc., so unless a home prior to about the mid 80's has been extensively retrofitted, it will be an energy hog. Same of course, for log homes - R1 per inch, and leaky. About the time the R2000 program started, Yukon builders wised up. Many homes from around the late 80's on will have R40 in the attic, and wrap and strap with 2x6/2x3 construction for R28 walls.

A well insulated home with electric heat isn't scary. I'm building this year, R70 attic (a bit past reason, but I wanted a true R60, and lumpy installation makes it so), R36 walls, am using a Mitsu Zuba Central heat pump, two wood stoves. Right now, one 4,500 W little box construction heater keeps it at +12. With doors opening all the time...

Prices have dropped, it's a better time to buy than in quite a while. The down side is appraisal values have dropped as well, so the ratio of mortgage to value may be worse than it was.