ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
SpudBob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Tire Mounting in Boise

Anybody doing ADV bike tire mounting in Boise. Not talking dirt bike, I can do that myself, but with a HF, NoMar type setup to do bikes like Vstrom, GS's, Super T's with stiffer sidewalls. Id be happy to reimburse with a case of cold adult beverages for the trouble. Trying to avoid the stealers and even small shops who are charging too much, IMHO, to mount/dismount tires. Maybe a group of us can get together and buy the machine to do it. The basic NoMar setup, good for most all road bike tires is about $400.You can even make one on the cheap and buy the Bar from several distributors who use the NoMar tips. It would even make mounting/dismounting dirt bike tires easier. Maxxis Desert It's are a PITA!
SpudBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Bill-66
Hencho in Kansas

Oddometer: 7,295
Three ten inch tire irons is way faster and easier than a no mar and packs easier for trips...

TKC's, K-60's..all pretty easy with tire irons
Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
SpudBob OP
Adventurer

I do all my own dirt bike tires, but many, mostly road type, tires are not that easy. Im talking tubeless tires. Im currently riding a Wee with cast wheels. If I get a flat on the road I plug and go. I just think that someone out there in my area has the setup and could use the adult beverages.Oh, and by the way, I was Hencho in Kansas also!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudBob View Post
I do all my own dirt bike tires, but many, mostly road type, tires are not that easy. Im talking tubeless tires. Im currently riding a Wee with cast wheels. If I get a flat on the road I plug and go. I just think that someone out there in my area has the setup and could use the adult beverages.Oh, and by the way, I was Hencho in Kansas also!
Idaho's a big state..."someone out there in my area"
oh, Boise...
Fast, professional, reasonable
http://www.revvedupmotorsports.com/index.htm
and great prices on tires, next day if in stock @ WPS local warehouse
call them.

kenstone screwed with this post 01-25-2015 at 04:14 PM
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
SpudBob OP
Adventurer

Ive, actually, talked to those guys and though their advertised prices are not good they will match pretty close to Revzilla,M.C. Superstore, DennisK etc. I was just hopeing to find someone who does mounting it in their garage/shop or a group of guys who wanna pitch in to buy the tools to do it. If you got, say, even 5 guys the tools would pay for themselves after the second tire change. If I don't hear from somebody I may just bite the bullet and buy the stuff my self then charge half what the shop charges to do changes.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Bill-66
Hencho in Kansas

Oddometer: 7,295
Quote:

I ride a GSA..all tubeless...
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
SpudBob OP
Adventurer

kenstone??? sending me to a shop when YOU have a HF setup!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
kenstone
newb

Quote:
kenstone??? sending me to a shop when YOU have a HF setup!
Yep...I couldn't sleep at night if I scratched your rims
Last time I went to Revved up to get a tire mounted it was $17.
Oh, my son goes to Revved Up too
And he lives a block away from me...what does that tell you
Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
SpudBob OP
Adventurer

So, let me get this straight. You've got your own setup and make your son PAY to get his tires mounted? Does he even know you have it or is it your dirty, no pun intended, little secret??? Or did you just scratch the heck out of his rims and now he doesn't trust you?

SpudBob screwed with this post 01-26-2015 at 11:42 AM
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
TKCs Are Tubless...But

Quote:
When I removed my OEM Battlewings, tubeless, they had very stiff sidewalls and were a bitch to break the bead on...but not to remove...TKCs, my only brand of tire now, while stiff and tubeless are not that difficult to remove and remount with a good set of tire irons and practice. More technique than muscle. FYI I bought a simple lever down tire bead breaker that sits on the floor, from HF. Light weight, easy to store and inexpensive....best of all it really works...no more 8 foot 2x4 lever arms needed thank you! [that side stand bead breaking never worked for me!]

I actually enjoy changing my own tires and balancing them...since my use is off road, I get a lot of practice with TKCs since I am very conservative on when I change them out...also doing my own work puts me in the mix for how to do what and the opportunity to inspect my bike's bits and pieces...such as inspecting rear flange for cracks and checking all torque requirements...

Anyway, to each their own and a full blown tire machine that works is fine.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
kenstone
newb

Quote:
So, let me get this straight. You've got your own setup and make your son PAY to get his tires mounted? Does he even know you have it or is it your dirty, no pun intended, little secret??? Or did you just scratch the heck out of his rims and now he doesn't trust you?
Guilty
I know better than to scratch my son's wheels...I just stood by and let him do it
Oh, my new tire lube of choice in now Armorall, tried it when installing TUbliss, as it's in the instructions.