ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
andreverts OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Oregon regulations

Hi guys, I'm new!

Sorry in advance for any mistake, I'm italian and I'm planning to be in Oregon for a month riding a dual sport 125cc to explore the State.

I have a couple of questions:

- I read online about a special motorcycle endorsement or permit to ride. I have a regular international license that already works for both cars and motorcycles, do I require also that special permit?
- Are there any kind of roads in Oregon where 125cc mustn't go?
- I'd like to have some suggestions about possible 125cc models that can I find in the US.
- Any advice on roads, landmarks, must visit is kindly accepted!

Thanks and greetings!
andreverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreverts View Post
Hi guys, I'm new!

Sorry in advance for any mistake, I'm italian and I'm planning to be in Oregon for a month riding a dual sport 125cc to explore the State.

I have a couple of questions:

- I read online about a special motorcycle endorsement or permit to ride. I have a regular international license that already works for both cars and motorcycles, do I require also that special permit?
- Are there any kind of roads in Oregon where 125cc mustn't go?
- I'd like to have some suggestions about possible 125cc models that can I find in the US.
- Any advice on roads, landmarks, must visit is kindly accepted!

Thanks and greetings!

I believe if you have an current Insternational Drivers Licence that you are okay. If you want to ride in designated Off-Road areas, that are usually riding off-road trails, 4x4 trails etc, they you need an Oregon OHV (Off Highway Vehicle Permit), this goes with vehicle not the rider. It's cheap and only applies for those off road areas.

As long as the bike you buy is street legal and has a current Licence Plate and normal road parts (Mirrors, signals etc) you are legal to ride it on all our roads. There is no CC limitation. You'd be crazy to ride a bike that small on the Major Internstates (Avoid I5, and I-84), but no reason to ride those roads on a motorcycle anyways.

There are not a lot of 125cc Street Legal bikes here. 250cc seems to be about the smallest. Smaller than that are scooters (Vespa's etc.). I know of no Dual Sports smaller than 200cc that aren't made for kids. Unless you are looking for a vintage bike, I'd look at a Yamaha WR250/XT250, Kawasaki KLX250, Honda 250L, Suzuki DR200/DRZ400 etc. We like out bikes bigger, as this is BIG country out here.

Lots to see in the state, Google is your friend. Depends on if you want natural sites, historical sites, urban sites etc. Off the top of my head I'd say add Crater Lake, Hells Canyon, Columbia Gorge, The Steens Mountains and the Oregon Coast. Between those that would pretty much cover the whole state.

Buon Viaggio!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
andreverts OP
n00b

Thanks for your fast reply Scott!!

It's beautiful to hear that I don't need the endorsement and your roads are free, of course I'll avoid the most dangerous ones!
The OHV is very interesting and useful, I think I'm going to take it.

I'm having troubles to find the bike, honestly. I saw that your minimum seems to be 250cc and that's a pretty good problem because the 125cc is what I required - always been on a 2stroke 125cc, also for long daily trips!

I know Beta will came out with RS125 next year, but my fear is that I have to buy it new!
About vintage bikes, do you know if bikes like Honda XR125 (that are still in production in Mexico) are imported in US?
andreverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
LimitedSlip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Here is a link to the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles site:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/Pages/index.aspx

I did a quick search for information about international licenses but found nothing.

Oregon does require motor vehicle insurance so make sure you read up on those requirements.

Off road you will need a OHV permit.

125cc is pretty small for our state. I'd look at 250cc or larger. Are you thinking new or used? Don't try to license an offroad bike in this state as that rarely works anymore.

What time of the year do you intend to be here? Will you be travelling full time or based out of somewhere? Lot's of natural beauty in this state. Mt. Hood, Crater Lake, the Columbia Gorge, the Wallowa Mtns, the coast, just to name a few.

Ken
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
andreverts OP
n00b

Thanks for the interest Ken!

I'll be there from late May until July and I want to explore all the State: time will be my friend. I'll travel almost full time but spending more time on the coast!

About the bike, I'd like to go used and vintage is not a problem: I'm addicted to travel with 2stroke engines, plus classic bike are fascinating for me!

Do you suggest to buy or rent?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
Not a lot of street legal 2 strokes around here. If the bike isn't registered for street use, in Oregon you really can't change that. I don't think you will find anyplace that will have any 2T's rent. www.craigslist.com is a good source to look for used bikes. A quick search found a couple of options, most are old.

Portland Craigslist for 2 Strokes
http://portland.craigslist.org/searc...=&autoMilesMax=

KDX

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4770160346.html

DT 175

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4775208439.html

Every once in awhile you'll find one that squeaks by though...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4765943464.html

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,057
Quote:
I'll travel almost full time but spending more time on the coast!
The Coast is good...

... but in late June, you will want to be here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=gathering

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,325
Andre,

I suggest you let go of your fixation with 125cc 2-strokes because Oregon is really big and really mountainous, 300 x 400 miles of mountains, deserts, forests and a 125 would put you at risk on state highways; it would be tapped out for miles and burn out the motor. Go for a 250cc 4-stroke, or a 400 if you can afford it.

Range will be a problem with a 125 in eastern Oregon because gas stations are far apart and a lot of the "good rides" thru there can be 200 miles between gas. And then you don't have to carry 2-stroke oil if you are on a 4stroke bike.

Please let us know what your budget might be for a bike here, the craigslist advice is good. Used bikes here cost less than in europe, in my experience.

Contact dealers here in PDX too, tell them what you want, make a deal to buy and sell it back in a month. I did that in France, worked out great, way cheaper than renting.

Start a travel thread in ADV and you will have a million new bike riding friends here.

See you next summer in Oregon somewhere on a 250!
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

^^

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 11-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
oregonadvrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
From the south end of the coast take 199 to Grants Pass (my home town) then to Crater Lake. Nice ride. My 2 stroke, and the four.
oregonadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new!
....Any advice on roads, landmarks, must visit is kindly accepted!
Thanks and greetings!
Good for you picking Oregon!

Here's a RR that shows a lot of what Oregon is about:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1019447

She does none of the coast, North Central Oregon; 4 days 1,000 miles.

As she says, there is a scale to the place that is hard to get your head around when you're from a smaller place.

Your 2 stroke ethic is understandable; you have a lot of time, you'll need it on a 125... Consider what Hells says!
There is a lot of riding here that takes in all sorts of terrain on a very large scale.

Say Hi when you get here...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,230
Hi Andre, good advice you're getting here. Because you are here for a short time, I think your int. License will be all you need. I used my crappy license through Europe (had a motorbike in Via reggio for a year), England, & the US back in my back packing days, bought cars & rode motorcycles with no problems at all on that license.
If you are trying to travel cheaply, renting isn't really an option. Buying second hand would be the best, allowing enough time at the trips end to re sell it...cheaply. If you aren't bringing camping gear, there are lots of cheap equipment at major department stores that would suit you for that time of the year, or check this higher end store out on line: REI.COM for good gear that you could take back home.
If you refine your bike selection & would like someone to do a final viewing of it for security, let us know.
Happy planning, don't let the legalities scare you away, I always just jumped in & went to the country, bought what I could afford & as long as I wasn't visibly breaking local laws, & the vehicle looked legal, who's going to fuck with you!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU HWY View Post
There is a lot of riding here that takes in all sorts of terrain on a very large scale.
For instance, the distance between my beach pic and my Imnaha Canyon pic is nearly 500 road miles.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #14
andreverts OP
n00b

Thank you very much for your support!
By the way, I think I should explain better my journey; I'll try to be short.

This is the beginning of a bigger project to explore the US on two wheels following my philosphy that, to travel, nothing matter except my will.
I started travelling with my DT125RE at age 16 as answer to "it's impossibile to travel on little motorbikes". Now I'm 22 and the "big" US represent my final challenge in this terms.
Also, the biggest italian magazine Motociclismo showed interest in my projects and my philosophy that aims to show that everybody can travel and people (especially young guys) won't have to stuck their dreams listening to what the motorcycle's market says.

That's why I need a 125cc. I understand the problems related to the two strokes there, so that's not a must, a four stroke can be good too - obviously better for what i want to do.

I'll arrive there on late May and will stay until July. I think I have enogh time to explore all the State, and of course I'll be pleased to meet with all you and share miles, roads and experiences. Later, I'm going to open a specific thread for my journey.
Thanks for the pictures and the advices, I'm planning my schedule considering all of these suggestions.

About my budget: it isn't much, considering I'm still studying here in Italy, but little dual sports won't cost very much right? I can afford a 500 bucks or so of loss between original price and future sell price.
My bike have to be cheap itself, plus I like essential bikes, not fancy, traditional and easy-handle for a 360° use. I can also consider to don't re-sell it, because if it's the right bike, I can keep it there to use for next trips in the US.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:06 AM   #15
eric n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
250 cc 4 stroke is equivalent to a 125 cc 2 stroke.

the environmental laws here prevent 2 stroke sales of new bikes. it's been that way long enough that street legal 2 strokes are very rare.

110 kmh/70 mph is a minimum speed ability. there are parts of the state that you have to go on the freeway to get to the other side of canyons mountains etc. here on the west coast we have vast freeways that you can drive 70mph for 10 hours without needing to stop. the lorry's here are called semi's if you notice most of them have sleeper cabs not many in Europe do. that's because some of those truck have 2 drivers living in them and they drive over 1600 km in a day.

we have dirt roads that last up 200km without any services, no gas no stores. most of our bikes can go 400km without refueling. that's because you may run into road blocks like large downed trees or landslides and may have to go back exactly as you came in. even if you reroute to paved roads your still 150km from fuel.

eric n screwed with this post 11-26-2014 at 03:31 AM
eric n is offline   Reply With Quote