ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,241
Whychus Creek Crossing

I found this cairn surrounding a dead tree up on the plateau, just east of Squaw Creek Crossing between Redmond and Sisters when I was bombing around the desert on my Norton in 1987. Does anyone know anything about it? Who piled those rocks and why?

And what is the name of that big black cone you can see in the background? I disremember

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
Not sure who piled up the rocks or why but the black cone in the background is probably Black Butte.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,727
Ahem...........formerly known as Squaw.

Now known as Whychus Creek.

Try to keep up

findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quite a few places around here with rocks stacked like that. I didn't notice anything like that last time I was out 1393 to Whychus, probably south of it. Not many FS roads east side of the creek, but lots of blm tracks. I'll keep an eye out.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
This it?

OR
44.398855, -121.384571
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,788
Lots of history out there. Grandview or sometimes referred to as Geneva, the settlers were supposedly promised irrigation water but it never came. Many stone fences and piles of rock in their attempt to clear the land for farming but there is very little soil on top of lava flows and very stoney ground.

One has to admire the tenacity and resilience of the settlers of what are now non-mining ghost towns. For whatever the reason, they had to pack up, move and start all over again. Such was the case for the settlers of Grandview. Farmers and homesteaders who settled Grandview were promised water and plenty of it. And so they came to turn the land into farms and build their homes and schools for their children. This they did with great optimism despite the rocky soil that dulled farm machinery and the lack of sufficient water for the farms in an arid location. By the time the small cemetery held about a dozen graves, Grandview was being deserted. The town is empty now. SUBMITTED BY: Henry Chenowith

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Ahem...........formerly known as Squaw.

Now known as Whychus Creek.

Try to keep up
Actually, I should thank you for this reply. I am well aware the name was changed to Whychus Creek. It seems to be a Wamic word for water. I assumed it was another attempt to make everything politically correct and sanitized by randomly substituting a "polite" name for the more traditional one.

This annoys the hell out of me because it makes old maps meaningless and the old stories almost impossible to place on a new map because the names used have become untethered from their place. It also makes it hard to grasp the mindset and reality of that place in time because it removes the cues of a nomenclature that was used without a second thought because it was the reality and common perception of the time.

Whatever. I was wrong. Not necessarily about why this bothers me, but certainly about the name of this stream. It turns out the first recorded name was, in fact, Why-chus, set down in his journals by Lieutenant R.S.Williamson when he camped there September 1, 1855. I don't know when or why the name was changed to Squaw Creek.

In my imagination I see Lt. Williamson gesture towards the creek and ask his guide in poor jargon "What's this called?' and see the man look at him in surprise and reply "Water (why-chus), dumbass."

I was also wrong about the word "squaw". I have known and heard and probably used this word my entire life. It is only now that I have been made aware of just how negative of connotation this word carries. Something between the "N word" and the "C word", words so racist and misogynistic I am reluctant to spell them out, even for the sake of discussion. I never intended or felt those nuances when I used the word.

Familiar from common usage, years of reading adventure stories and frontier journals, watching TV westerns and that bastion of tolerance and sensitivity, the Boy Scouts, I never picked up on the less savory meanings of the word. In scouts we learned squaws knew all the important camping and woodscraft skills needed to survive. Squaw-wood was the the dead lower branches and twigs on standing timber, which snap off readily and can provide lifesaving dry tinder and kindling even in a storm. In the journals and adventure stories the squaw often nursed the injured frontiersman back from deathly injury or illness, taught him how to make or find shelter and food and served as an interpreter.

It never even occurred to me that the word is a racial slur. For that I apologize.

I am writing a short story, more of a ride report really, about a trip I took through the high desert back in 1987. From now on I will refer to it as Whychus Creek Crossing

If any of you remember or know how to contact Todd "Toad" Lovell, Franko (Frank Rutledge?) Franko's old girlfriend Margie or recognize anyone or anywhere in my photos please let me know. Franko, Margie and Dave used to hang out at Charlie Littlejohn's Totem Pole Tavern back when it was on Killingsworth in NE Portland

Franko and Toad

Franko, Dave and Dave's girlfriend who I disremember

the crossing

is the dark cone shaped mountain in the background Black Butte?

I think the yellow flowers are rabbitbrush. Does anyone know what the red, weedy looking shrubs are?

RedMenace screwed with this post 10-25-2014 at 09:24 AM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
This it?

OR
44.398855, -121.384571
It might be. It is in the right general area. The note on my map is FS rd # 6370 but that might have been the road to the crossing and the cairn was probably on one of the other tracks that connect with it up on the plateau east of where we camped.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
is the dark cone shaped mountain in the background Black Butte?

I think the yellow flowers are rabbitbrush. Does anyone know what the red, weedy looking shrubs are?
Thanks for the history on Whychus Creek! I did not know that Why-chus was the creeks original name. With what we now know about some of the names that were used regionally, but especially since it was in fact the original name, I'm also happy to hear they changed the name back to Whychus.

Yes, that is Black Butte. It appears to have been mid summer as there doesn't look to be any snow left on the butte.

Not sure on the red shrubs. I'm sure someone from the High Desert will chime in to let you know.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Yea that is black butte. Don't really have anything to add to this thread otherwise, just really cool seeing those pictures and learning a bit of history about whychus creek aka squaw creek aka whychus creek.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
When I moved to Bend 30+ years ago, Mt. Washington was commonly called Squaw's Tit. Look at it from the southeast and the reason is obvious.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #12
Beast1210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Looks a little different now, love the old photos.

fast forward to 11:30 for the crossing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqKw...ROg9Q&index=52
Beast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Thanks fella's!

Thanks Red Menace for posting up and thanks Wachs et al for the history. It's somewhat heartbreaking to think of the back-breaking work those pioneers did in vain. Thanks again, DD
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,163
Thanks Vern, good read, cool old-er pics.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,455
Hey, you got the thread name changed! You got a moderator in your employ now? (Wouldn't be surprised--rabbit stew can make people do ANYTHING!)

Just want to add my thanks for giving us the lesson about the "S" word. I didn't realize it was considered to be so derogatory.