ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
SeattleAdventure OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Washington State Lemon Law-good info for WA residents...

Has anyone leveraged this law on their bike? Unless KTM NA does a complete 180 in the next few days I will be eligible to use this to find a resolution.....

http://www.atg.wa.gov/lemonlaw.aspx#.VMP60u90zIU

I stumbled upon this, my dealer has no experience with it but will support me.

Ive done a little research, and Washington States` Law is the most protective I have found by a long shot.

Keep this in mind....With all the electronic gismos, can bus, etc it can be much harder to for even a good dealer to resolve. You don't know when you might need this.....

A few highlights;
Includes Motorcycles greater than 750cc.
Even if you bike is out of warranty if the problem began while in the warranty period-you are covered.
2year/24000 Mileage coverage regardless of manufactures warranty.
SeattleAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAdventure View Post
Has anyone leveraged this law on their bike? Unless KTM NA does a complete 180 in the next few days I will be eligible to use this to find a resolution.....

http://www.atg.wa.gov/lemonlaw.aspx#.VMP60u90zIU

I stumbled upon this, my dealer has no experience with it but will support me.

Ive done a little research, and Washington States` Law is the most protective I have found by a long shot.

Keep this in mind....With all the electronic gismos, can bus, etc it can be much harder to for even a good dealer to resolve. You don't know when you might need this.....

A few highlights;
Even if you bike is out of warranty if the problem began while in the warranty period-you are covered.
more details please

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAdventure View Post
A few highlights;
Not knowing what the issue is with the bike. You want to take this requirement into consideration.

" The law covers only defects that “substantially impair” the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle."

In the years I used to be in the automotive business I've seen very few cases that qualify and the few I have seen the owner never walks away with a new vehicle at no expense.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy View Post
Not knowing what the issue is with the bike. You want to take this requirement into consideration.

" The law covers only defects that “substantially impair” the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle."

In the years I used to be in the automotive business I've seen very few cases that qualify and the few I have seen the owner never walks away with a new vehicle at no expense.

Same experience here.

Yes the law is there, but it is a very small window in which you will qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Yep, if your bike is out of service for a cumulative total of 30 days to fix a defect (or defects), you're covered. Make sure you have documentation of the time frame - your dealer should help you with this - and send a certified letter to the manufacturer stating relevant WA statutes and explaining the problem, and threatening to initiate a lemon law case with the attorney general's office if the problem is not resolved. Once the manufacturer receives the letter, the clock is ticking and they must respond to your satisfaction.

When I was dealing with this, my research indicated that most manufacturers do not want these cases to go to the AG, because as long as you have your ducks in a row they will generally find in your favor. And they (the manfacturer) don't want that on the record.

That was true with my case. I had everything well documented, and the manufacturer responded quickly and politely. I was satisfied with the outcome.

It can work.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy View Post
the owner never walks away with a new vehicle at no expense.
Yes, because of the "Offset for Use" clause there will be some expense. But other than that, you should be eligible for vehicle replacement, or refund of purchase price and any associated expenses. This includes taxes, towing charges, finance charges, etc. I suggest including anything and everything in your claim. You can always negotiate from there if you need to - but the law is pretty clear.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 326
So what's wrong with your bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote