ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
2014 Pioneer Spring Ride tracks & route

Please read these notes that will be important to you if you come ride and/or use the attached GPS data files. This is not all just legal stuff.

The files that contain "tracks", will display a series of connected dots. It takes more attention from the rider to keep up with their location relative to the intended track. So please note the different files a "route" and a set of 3 "tracks". Which ever version you choose, remember that maintaining control of your vehicle far outweighs the importance of watching your GPS and following the course. At the first Ice Breaker ride someone ran off the road avoiding a head on with a car. It was all caused by looking too long at the GPS at the wrong time.

There is a file that has a "route" that some GPS receivers will use to give you turn by turn directions. The second file contain 3 tracks. Some units will not handle over 200 points in a track so the entire ride is broken into 3 tracks.

Gas/Food/Restrooms: Note the waypoint labeled GF Willisburg. Really consider filling up here if you can't go 150 miles on a tank. There will be another chance in Springfield but you'll have to briefly get off of the route to get fuel there.

Riders on range limited bikes note: If your range is under 150 miles, it is highly recommended to refuel in Willisburg and Springfield even though Willisburg isn't that far from the start. Having plenty of fuel in your tank will increase your flexibility if you change your intentions along the ride.

The total ride counting a few stops for photos and fuel will be at least 4 hours when ridden at the pace an advanced rider might use. Because of several factors, less experienced riders may require over 5 hours to complete all of the ride. The distance covered has been estimated at 147 miles.

There is a gravel section that I estimate to be about 2 miles long.

Now for some disclaimer stuff. The planned route (or track) is on public roads to my knowledge. The files contain routes or tracks that cross some rough and possibly hazardous terrain. I have previewed these sections and they were not gated or posted when I was there. Various maps show them as public. That information and my experience could be wrong though so it is your responsibility to ensure you are legally allowed to ride everywhere you go.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you and your vehicle can safely operate on the surface in front of you at all times. That others have gone before you does not in itself guarantee your safe travel.

Even the paved sections may contain debris or contaminants on the surface of the roadway that significantly reduce traction and/or control. There may be restrictions to visibility or other hazards present. The width of many of the roads is very narrow, enough that two vehicles may not be able to pass each other without one or both pulling off of the roadway and there may not be a safe place to do so on a motorcycle. Any of these factors and others could cause an accident that results in property damage, serious injury or death.

Riders following the route (or track) represented by this ride will assume the sole responsibility for all aspects of operation of their vehicle, the legality of their path, and the safety of the road ahead of them.

Riders following the route (or track) with other riders could cause or be involved in an accident involving other riders. Please be considerate of others and understand that their skill level may differ from yours.

No support for you or your vehicle is promised during the ride. It is a great idea to let others know your intentions before the ride but there is no guarantee that anyone will check on your condition or whereabouts afterwards. If you join up with others for the ride, it is a good idea to let them know if you change plans.

No support of any kind is promised for the data attached below for its use or implementation.

markdvk screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 11:53 AM
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The "route" file is attached here

The route is attached here as a "gpx" file.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2014_04_route.gpx (233.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 04-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

File with tracks

The file with tracks is attached here.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2014_04_tracks.gpx (28.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Looks like a good time and a great route you have laid out Mark! It should be a nice day, can't wait to see everyone. Thanks for all the work
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GPS issues

I had a couple of guys tell me they had problems seeing the data after they put it in their GPS receivers.

One I talked to by message and he solved the problem when a friend emailed him a copy the friend had downloaded.

The other guy opened the data on his PC (with Mapsource I think) and then saved it as a .gdb file, sent it to his GPS, and all was well. From what he told me, I think his PC stripped the .gpx file extension when he downloaded it. From his PC, he could see that the file was setting in his GPS receiver, but he couldn't find it when he was using the receiver.

I just downloaded the files here from advrider and successfully installed the route into a Garmin Zumo 220 and the tracks (1of3, 2of3, 3of3) into a Garmin Colorado without jumping through any hoops.

But let me know if you run into problems.