User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 123 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #1531
Nuclear Fishin'
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Despite the massive amounts of coolness in this thread, I still think you're all a little light in the campers.
Nuclear Fishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #1532
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,685
What is the difference between 5th wheelers and 'regular' trailers of the same size - i.e. why choose one over the other ?

I have a small pop up that I love but every time I go camping....I lust after a bigger RV.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #1533
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
What is the difference between 5th wheelers and 'regular' trailers of the same size - i.e. why choose one over the other ?

I have a small pop up that I love but every time I go camping....I lust after a bigger RV.
The biggest difference is in how the 5th wheel tows. A bumper pull or travel trailer can be made pretty stable with a good hitch, but it'll never be equal to a 5th wheel.

One thing that my wife and I found when we looked. Up to a certain point, around '28, the TT's are the way to go. You have good head room throughout the length of the trailer. Small 5th wheels are targeted at 1/2 ton trucks and need to be light weight and often the area above the goose neck isn't full height which is a drag.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #1534
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,955
Quote:

One limiting factor is what you have to tow with. (Stating the obvious.) It may be my imagination but it seems like you can get an awful lot of 5th wheel for the money in the used market. I'm guessing the resale market is a bit more limited than with a regular tow behind as there is a wider selection of vehicles capable of towing the TTs.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #1535
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
How much off highway dirt can a class a take?
The chassis should do OK, but it's the box and contents that will cause the problems. Get my rig on some washboard (think Saline Valley Road) and everything inside looks and sounds like one of those vibrating football games. I haven't broken anything yet, but cabinets open up, stuff shifts around, etc.
And that's when you are going slow. Got to watch the holding tanks, plumbing and things that hang low so as not to remove them. Can also depend on how much overhang/length you have behind the rear axle.
One fun spot was late at night after a recent rain, the road going into the riding area had filled with water and was a mud basin. We backed up and took a run at it, using momentum to carry us. Back end fished around some (in slow motion) but we made it out. Still find that red mud sometimes when underneath.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #1536
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Wow. Yeah I'm keeping the four wheel pop-up camper and 4x4 5.0l ranger for the saline trips. I have seen to many big rvs and cars stuck there for weeks.

When I go with friends to Ocotillo they have full size 4x4 diesels with bumper pull trailers. I guess a 32' class would be a lot worse than a 26' tandem axle trailer and a 4x4 truck? Worst case they pull the class a out or I camp somewhere else.

I've seen some drivers get their big RVs into cool spots but have seen many buried rigs. They don't look like fun to pull out.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #1537
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
We went back and forth on class A or C or trailer. All have pluses and minuses. Nice thing about a good 4X4 to tow with is you can break camp and go for supplies or ? if you need to.
Motorhome might be a little better to dry camp because it's all in one but a little less mobile. Maybe a deluxe cab-over camper on a 4X4 truck and you can tow your choice of toys. So many choices....
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #1538
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:

One other item to note about the difference between Travel Trailers and Fifth wheels..... fifth wheels tend to be less maneuverable when you're backing up. The distance between the rear axle and the ball mount with a TT hookup helps with backing up. Fifth wheels are mounted above the rear axle and reacts more slowly to steering input when backing up.

Also if you're considering a TT or FW, loan interest is tax-deductible as a second home if it has a permanent bed, kitchen and bathroom.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #1539
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur

Also if you're considering a TT or FW, loan interest is tax-deductible as a second home if it has a permanent bed, kitchen and bathroom.

I think that applies to pretty much any RV or boat.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #1540
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I think that applies to pretty much any RV or boat.
Yes, if it has a permanent bed, bathroom and kitchen, it does.

He mentioned moving from a pop-up (which doesn't qualify) so I thought I would mention it.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1541
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
Yes, if it has a permanent bed, bathroom and kitchen, it does.

He mentioned moving from a pop-up (which doesn't qualify) so I thought I would mention it.

Ah, so ...
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #1542
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
whats the lowdown on Toyota 1 ton platformed RV's? saw one this weekend, its was a '91 winnie.
would work well for family use.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #1543
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #1544
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #1545
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB
We went back and forth on class A or C or trailer. All have pluses and minuses. Nice thing about a good 4X4 to tow with is you can break camp and go for supplies or ? if you need to.
Motorhome might be a little better to dry camp because it's all in one but a little less mobile. Maybe a deluxe cab-over camper on a 4X4 truck and you can tow your choice of toys. So many choices....

My favorite choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: