Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #1621
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
I want this one

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/...-bus-hits-mph/

Jet-Powered School Bus Hits 367 MPH

The bus evolved into a high-speed dragster at the hands of petrol-head Paul Stender who custom built the hotrod ride.

And the miles just fly by after he fitted it with an engine lifted from a McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom fighter jet.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #1622
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I want this one

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/...-bus-hits-mph/

Jet-Powered School Bus Hits 367 MPH

I hope that his brakes are better than mine.

There are a couple of those things around. The local drag strip (Edinburg, TX) was using a clip of one racing at their track for a promotion not long ago.

For most of us 55mph is comfortable and at 65mph were are starting to get nosebleeds.

Maybe someone will invest in something like a Prevost and they can at least run with the Big Trucks.

(Just FWIW mine will run with the trucks but I don't feel comfortable doing it because of the poor brakes and the fact that I have my entire home right behind me and an accident would be unthinkable. And from what I can tell my brakes are about average for a three-axle bus of this era.)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #1623
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
"God made hobos to make other men yearn." -Steinbeck

this is great. which Steinbeck is it be from? i searched with Bing, but it didn't

thanks
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #1624
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
I worked at my father's RV dealership for about 8 years..
the one the Griswold's drove)...
Sure enough... he had two identical dents in the back of his car. One on each side caused by the trailer fishtailing!
Cute story, but FWIW, my dad put about 80K on a Ford Country Squire pulling a 30 foot Airstream. From one end of the country to the other, from Calgary to the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, without incident.

As long as you have the pulling power, it's about having trailer brakes and knowing how to use them. (that Ford had whatever 400ci+ Ford made then, and it was a boatload of fun when it wasn't hooked to the airstream!)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #1625
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker
Anyone out there have an airstream motorhome?

I'm liking the look of these 345's ... am I mad?

I dig them, too, having spent a while in the aforementioned trailer. I was getting pretty serious about one with 30k on it for $14.5 when I found my Rockwood XL. I was, and am, leery of try to move something that big with gasoline, but back then diesel was 1/3 the cost of gas. I suppose today it wouldn't make much difference.

One thing about them that may or may not matter to you, depending on your intended use, they don't have much in the way of under-chassis storage bays like a bus/truck based class A motorhome does.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #1626
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
I dig them, too, having spent a while in the aforementioned trailer. I was getting pretty serious about one with 30k on it for $14.5 when I found my Rockwood XL. I was, and am, leery of try to move something that big with gasoline, but back then diesel was 1/3 the cost of gas. I suppose today it wouldn't make much difference.

One thing about them that may or may not matter to you, depending on your intended use, they don't have much in the way of under-chassis storage bays like a bus/truck based class A motorhome does.
Thanks I've seen a few on fleabay and craigslist but none local enough for me to go have a look at one. I'm definitely interested in under-chassis storage. Just in case the worst happens and we have to full time in an RV for a while.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #1627
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
This is ours. Bought in 2005 and took 1 full year of work to get it good and reliable.
1975 Titan 21' with a 1974 Dodge chassis. 318 2 barrel. We have done 15,000 miles through the US and Mexico. They issue 10 year import permits in Mexico for RV's.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #1628
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
This is ours. Bought in 2005 and took 1 full year of work to get it good and reliable.
1975 Titan 21' with a 1974 Dodge chassis. 318 2 barrel. We have done 15,000 miles through the US and Mexico. They issue 10 year import permits in Mexico for RV's.
Cool rig!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #1629
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

I like that. That would be a good size for Mexican camping, at least around here.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #1630
Riverbud
Ding fries are done

Oddometer: 134
Quote:

Nice! I love the short Class A's, you can't find them anymore.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #1631
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Cute story, but FWIW, my dad put about 80K on a Ford Country Squire pulling a 30 foot Airstream. From one end of the country to the other, from Calgary to the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, without incident.

As long as you have the pulling power, it's about having trailer brakes and knowing how to use them. (that Ford had whatever 400ci+ Ford made then, and it was a boatload of fun when it wasn't hooked to the airstream!)
Cute story? Must I video every experience I have in order to provide evidence to its authenticity? Jeez.

Good for your dad! Sounds like he had the right equipment...... unlike the guy whose experience I shared.

And for the record, it's not just about pulling power and trailer brakes. A correctly-installed weight-distribution kit is must-have safety equipment as well.

Now go taunt someone who doesn't actually know what they're talking about or I shall fart in your general direction.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #1632
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
Quote:
or I shall fart in your general direction.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #1633
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
or I shall fart in your general direction.

The is a joke there somewhere about border food. Beans and barbacoa are a deadly combination.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #1634
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Cute story? Must I video every experience I have in order to provide evidence to its authenticity? Jeez.

Where did I say I doubted the veracity of your story? Merely pointing out that just because you met one person that had a bad experience towing a trailer with a station wagon doesn't mean towing trailers with station wagons is a bad, dumb, or unsafe thing to do.
IMO, at least 50% of the folks driving Class A's have no business driving a vehicle that large on public roads. They should require a CDL cert and physical for anything over 18'.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #1635
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
Nice! I love the short Class A's, you can't find them anymore.

+1

My next one is going to be a little one. 35' is nice for full-timing, but I had more than a few hair-raising experiences going to the places I like to go.

If I ever get the time and the money, I want to re-power an early '70's Travco.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: