ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #1651
Blur
Screwed and stapled
 
Blur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,122
I always liked the "fit and finish" of a National RV product.
__________________
"Make me one with everything" - the Dalai Lama, while ordering a pizza.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #1652
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Twinsteel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sacto, CA
Oddometer: 464
One of these is super tempting as an all-roads RV for only $5 grand:

__________________
Bikeless for now.
Twinsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #1653
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
IMO, at least 50% of the folks driving Class A's have no business driving a vehicle that large on public roads. They should require a CDL cert and physical for anything over 18'.
I assumed that a Class A license was required to operate a Class A motorhome (hence the name). Please tell me they at least have to have the license, if not the DOT physical. I don't want to hear that just any yahoo with a Class C can drive a 65' bus/motorhome with air brakes.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #1654
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus
I assumed that a Class A license was required to operate a Class A motorhome (hence the name). Please tell me they at least have to have the license, if not the DOT physical. I don't want to hear that just any yahoo with a Class C can drive a 65' bus/motorhome with air brakes.
Yup, anyone with a class C can drive a 45' coach (the max length). While on the surface I agree with your argument, it is proving to be not much of an issue. There is just not a statistically significant number of these elderly driving these coaches hurting themselves or others on the road. Worked in the high end RV industry for almost 20 years and rode with many of them. No real issues.

I think that many factors come into play. Most people who buy a 45' diesel pusher with air brakes, this is not their first coach. Most have owned coaches for the last 20+ years "working up" to the big rigs. They started out in a cab over camper when they were young, travel trailers, class C coach, then small class A gas rigs, then finally the big dogs. Not like they decided one day to go out and plop half a million on a new Monaco Signature series out of the blue.

Next is that you simply can not imagine how nice the big guys drive. And, most owners get from where they are at to the interstate, drive the interstate to their destination then park. Not like the most of them want to drive through LA at rush hour, or try to get one through the drive through at Wendy's.
__________________
Sasquatch
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #1655
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,440
I've just seen a few too many of them doing the bob-n-weave going down the Interstate to suit me. I had hopes that they at least had some advanced training.

Sorry about the 65'. I guess was thinking about a combination vehicle (single trailer) max length. The only time I took the Class A written exam was in 1984, so I've forgotten a couple (few, most) things.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #1656
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 15,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Yup, anyone with a class C can drive a 45' coach (the max length). While on the surface I agree with your argument, it is proving to be not much of an issue. There is just not a statistically significant number of these elderly driving these coaches hurting themselves or others on the road. Worked in the high end RV industry for almost 20 years and rode with many of them. No real issues.

I think that many factors come into play. Most people who buy a 45' diesel pusher with air brakes, this is not their first coach. Most have owned coaches for the last 20+ years "working up" to the big rigs. They started out in a cab over camper when they were young, travel trailers, class C coach, then small class A gas rigs, then finally the big dogs. Not like they decided one day to go out and plop half a million on a new Monaco Signature series out of the blue.

Next is that you simply can not imagine how nice the big guys drive. And, most owners get from where they are at to the interstate, drive the interstate to their destination then park. Not like the most of them want to drive through LA at rush hour, or try to get one through the drive through at Wendy's.
Not crashing your "half a million" is a pretty big incentive not to screw up as well.

Regardless, I'll still keep a wide girth.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #1657
koncha
.
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus
I've just seen a few too many of them doing the bob-n-weave going down the Interstate to suit me. I had hopes that they at least had some advanced training.

Sorry about the 65'. I guess was thinking about a combination vehicle (single trailer) max length. The only time I took the Class A written exam was in 1984, so I've forgotten a couple (few, most) things.
Can't say I've ever seen a Class A doing the traffic weave.

Completely unrelated...
I worry about the 26' Uhauls I see on the road. No training necessary and people drive them about 4 times in their entire lifetime.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #1658
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,440
No, not weaving in and out of traffic, weaving in (and out of) the lane, enough to get into the rumble strip, probably scaring the wife and dog in addition to everyone around him.

+1 on the typical big rental box truck operator. Years ago my now-wife was moving from Indiana to Kansas. A good friend of hers from Germany wanted the opportunity to drive across the Midwest on the Interstate in a 26' truck (and Heide was only too happy to let him), so he went and got the proper training and license for driving that class of vehicle in Germany before coming over, assuming that he'd need a special license to drive it here. He was really surprised when he found out he didn't need it. He still had a blast, though, from what I hear.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #1659
koncha
.
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus
No, not weaving in and out of traffic, weaving in (and out of) the lane, enough to get into the rumble strip, probably scaring the wife and dog in addition to everyone around him.
I gotcha. Usually that is an equipment defect. I know when I drive RVs and engage the cruise control, I sometimes come back from the bathroom to find that the RV has drifted a little.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #1660
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus
I've just seen a few too many of them doing the bob-n-weave going down the Interstate to suit me. I had hopes that they at least had some advanced training.

Sorry about the 65'. I guess was thinking about a combination vehicle (single trailer) max length. The only time I took the Class A written exam was in 1984, so I've forgotten a couple (few, most) things.
No worries.

Some coaches are horrible in the handling department. Most are excellent though. Wind also plays a huge factor in it. My Executive used to get sucked almost into the other lane when a truck would pass. After a couple of grand into the suspension I finally got a big chunk of that eliminated though.

Coaches are stupid cheap to insure when you consider their repair/replacement price. According to my agent it is because there are just not many claims. So no matter what you see on the road, the vast majority of those silver tops you see driving the big rigs do it pretty decently. At least good enough to not hit any thing anyway.
__________________
Sasquatch
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #1661
Hodag
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus
I've just seen a few too many of them doing the bob-n-weave going down the Interstate to suit me. I had hopes that they at least had some advanced training.
I'm more concerned with the 25' travel trailer on an undersized tow vehicle and a scared noob driver
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #1662
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus

Sorry about the 65'.

Actually, 45' and 65' are both right. 45' is the max length of a motorhome in most states, and 65' is that max length of a motorhome and trailer combination in most states.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #1663
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag
I'm more concerned with the 25' travel trailer on an undersized tow vehicle and a scared noob driver
What makes me nervous even more is the 38' park model 5th wheel being towed by a 3/4 ton PU. The trailer dwarfs the truck. One good side wind and that truck would be thrown around like a toy.
__________________
Sasquatch
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #1664
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
What makes me nervous even more is the 38' park model 5th wheel being towed by a 3/4 ton PU. The trailer dwarfs the truck. One good side wind and that truck would be thrown around like a toy.
I bet 80% of the 5th wheels I see are towed by SRW trucks.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #1665
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
I bet 80% of the 5th wheels I see are towed by SRW trucks.

I'll bite. Since the trucking industry is going to super singles, and the weight rating on many combinations of larger pickup trucks with single and dual rear wheels is often about the same, what's the problem assuming that the weight rating is met?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014