Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 272 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #1666
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I'll bite. Since the trucking industry is going to super singles, and the weight rating on many combinations of larger pickup trucks with single and dual rear wheels is often about the same, what's the problem assuming that the weight rating is met?
My 2500 dodge,,,according to the manual has the same GCWR as the 3500 so I can actually tow a heavier trailer because my truck weighs less than a dually.
I know what you guys mean though,,,my Raptor is within the tow rating of my truck but it really isn't enough though,,,,truck that is.

So i'm buildin my own dually.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #1667
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39
My 2500 dodge,,,according to the manual has the same GCWR as the 3500 so I can actually tow a heavier trailer because my truck weighs less than a dually.
I know what you guys mean though,,,my Raptor is within the tow rating of my truck but it really isn't enough though,,,,truck that is.

So i'm buildin my own dually.
I certainly don't want to take this down the weight police rat hole, but it's unlikely that your 2500 could tow more than a 3500. I've got a Dodge 2500 to which I added the exhaust brake and looked at the numbers before pulling my 5th wheel.

In theory your 2500 could tow more, but in practice that's not the case. With the same GCWR for both vehicles, but the 2500 being lighter you can tow more which is the theory part. In practice however that will not work because a bumper pull is limited to 12k which is way under the GCWR of the trucks. You need to use a 5th wheel to start approaching the GCWR and that means your truck is going to carry part of the load. Typical 5th wheels put 20% of the trailers weight onto the truck. A 3500 SRW truck has 900lbs more payload than a 2500. Most often a 2500 runs out of payload capacity long before it runs out of pulling power. A that capacity is a big deal since the truck needs to stop it's weight plus payload. The 5th wheel will handle it's share, but the truck needs to keep up it's end.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #1668
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal
I certainly don't want to take this down the weight police rat hole, but it's unlikely that your 2500 could tow more than a 3500. I've got a Dodge 2500 to which I added the exhaust brake and looked at the numbers before pulling my 5th wheel.

In theory your 2500 could tow more, but in practice that's not the case. With the same GCWR for both vehicles, but the 2500 being lighter you can tow more which is the theory part. In practice however that will not work because a bumper pull is limited to 12k which is way under the GCWR of the trucks. You need to use a 5th wheel to start approaching the GCWR and that means your truck is going to carry part of the load. Typical 5th wheels put 20% of the trailers weight onto the truck. A 3500 SRW truck has 900lbs more payload than a 2500. Most often a 2500 runs out of payload capacity long before it runs out of pulling power. A that capacity is a big deal since the truck needs to stop it's weight plus payload. The 5th wheel will handle it's share, but the truck needs to keep up it's end.
I am speaking in theory. Please read my post again.
You explain the different characteristics of 2500 and 3500 trucks well.
Also Dodge didn't make a SRW 3500 in 97.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #1669
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I'll bite. Since the trucking industry is going to super singles, and the weight rating on many combinations of larger pickup trucks with single and dual rear wheels is often about the same, what's the problem assuming that the weight rating is met?
With a dually you have more stability with the wider track as well as
the safety factor if you have a blowout. And what McNeal said.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #1670
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
While those are valid points, I'd be more afraid of a blowout on one of the front tires verses the drive wheels. The only blowouts (tire shredding itself) I've seen have been on trailers as typically a truck tire loses air, but doesn't come apart unless someone attempts to drive on it. Many of the ST class tires are made in China and the quality stinks. When possible owners are changing from an ST tire to an LT tire with a load rating of E or better. Also there are many people who add tire pressure monitors for their trucks and trailers which gives them more warning.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #1671
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
Ok Im not considering this, but sorta am....

Haha apartment vs RV

Pay $400 a month + electric bill for an on campus apartment I share with another person (Thats my half, so the college is making around 800 for rent). Im pretty sure a 30 foot RV has more interior space then this apartment I share with a random college student. But I get to roll out of bed and and walk 100 feet to class. Heat, water, cable and high speed internet is included in the apartment. It's kinda on the higher side for the area, but I pay for being able to walk to class in under 2 mins.

From what you've seen, could someone live in an RV, for year round (even in the snowy cold Midwest), pay for the spot to park, electricity and water. Would it cost less then $450 a month (Cannot exceed that as it digs into my monthly romen noodle/canned soup fund).

Would the hassle be worth it?

Besides creeping out the girls on the college campus (all ready do that some what as im 7-8 years older then about 95% of them), and living in an RV (5 x more creepy factor). Could I save quite a bit of money as well as have the freedom to drive where ever I want as long as I have gas money?

Wondering about heating the thing and -20F Iowa days....

Haha....

Firestorm screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 09:19 PM
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #1672
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
One of these is super tempting as an all-roads RV for only $5 grand:

Well, I've seen those go everywhere and spent days in the back (sleeping in the chair). If you can find an automatic trans one, there really easy to drive. Stick is a little harder. Plenty of stand up room in the back if you take out the overhead pack holder (kinda like an jetliner, but less fancy). Lots of room for stuff. Keep in mind though, it can cost allot if a part breaks. Had one get stuck in the mud, but for the most part if you avoid mud, they can do fire trails easy. You might wanna find a Type 3 Wildland fire truck, allot have 4 wheel drive (duallys in the back) with an Auto transmision and quadcabs and huge brush gaurds that make it possible to almost knock over trees. They have a 500 gal tank in the back, that might be troublesome to remove. But there pretty compact.

Firestorm screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 09:34 PM
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #1673
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm

Haha apartment vs RV

Haha....
You've got a couple of problems that I can think of off the top of my head. Many RV's are not meant to be lived in full time. The materials used can't stand up to the wear and tear of full time occupancy. The RV's that can be lived in full time are pricy. Next would be winter conditions. Again, not many units are insulated well enough and you'd burn through any savings in propane costs. There are many people who full time, but I'd be surprised to hear of someone doing so for $450/mo in your neck of the woods.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #1674
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,226
I paid $36,000 for my first house. It was a 2BR, 1BA, 850 sq. ft. house. The payments were $265 a month. And most of the time, I had a roommate that I charged $150-$200 a month.

Plus, RV's are a depreciating asset whereas real estate is not. Two years later, I sold the house for $38,500 to cover agent commissions.

Dunno what are you're in but lotsa markets are saturated with homes for sale at the moment.

If you still wanna live in a travel trailer, don't tell the the loan company what you're doing. They're less likely to approve the loan.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #1675
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,377
Quote:
From what you've seen, could someone live in an RV, for year round (even in the snowy cold Midwest), pay for the spot to park, electricity and water. Would it cost less then $450 a month (Cannot exceed that as it digs into my monthly romen noodle/canned soup fund).

Besides creeping out the girls on the college campus (all ready do that some what as im 7-8 years older then about 95% of them), and living in an RV (5 x more creepy factor). Could I save quite a bit of money as well as have the freedom to drive where ever I want as long as I have gas money?

Haha....
And you would own the RV. Anything goes wrong and there goes your budget.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #1676
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Haha apartment vs RV

Pay $400 a month + electric bill for an on campus apartment I share with another person (Thats my half, so the college is making around 800 for rent). Im pretty sure a 30 foot RV has more interior space then this apartment I share with a random college student. But I get to roll out of bed and and walk 100 feet to class. Heat, water, cable and high speed internet is included in the apartment. It's kinda on the higher side for the area, but I pay for being able to walk to class in under 2 mins.

Haha....

$400 sounds cheap for lot space and electricity and (in your case) propane to heat in the winter, but then again I don't know about Iowa economics so it's not out of the question.

I love my motorhome and love being a full-timer. She Who Must Be Obey'd seems to feel the same way - we were talking about Future Plans a few days ago and she's as committed to maintaining the motorhome as I am, even though we expect to settle here for at least a few years.

I wouldn't worry too much about the creepy college girl factor. Most RV's are cleaner than the average college bachelor apartment, and I remember getting lucky pretty regularly when I was in college.

Depending on the gal, "do you want to see my RV" is a pretty workable line.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #1677
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr
And you would own the RV. Anything goes wrong and there goes your budget.

By the same token he's got some resale value if he decides to sell.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #1678
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur

Plus, RV's are a depreciating asset whereas real estate is not.

Those are not absolutes. I doubt if any of the older RV's that many of us have bought will depreciate very much (if at all) as long as they aren't destroyed. On the other hand I can show you quite a bit of real property that went down in value during the last several years.

Basically, in this man's case it's going to boil down to specifics - his local costs, local real estate market, availability of RV parks, particular cost structure of the RV that he wants, and so forth.

Personally, I don't see living in an RV as being a cost saver; for us it's more of a way to see the country and as a mobile office/home when we were/are doing disaster relief. But it can be, witness some of the folks that we run into that are retirees and "living the dream" pretty modestly.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #1679
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker

I've kinda agonized over this for some time. I have a Land Rover Disco II and Bosswoman has a 7-series BMW sedan. She has to maintain something to haul real estate clients in and I really don't want to go to a bigger truck as a daily driver but the reality is that the Disco isn't equipped to handle a large trailer.

And I want to put my workshop and some bikes into a trailer of some sort so that I can move my tools and workshop with me as we travel.

I really, really don't like the idea of a dually pickup as a daily driver but have looked at some diesel-powered pickups with single rear tires.

I've been pretty impressed with Robb McElroy's Dakar support trucks as a model of what I might consider- single rear wheels, workboxes for tools, etc.:

Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #1680
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,238
Doghouse insulation

Has anybody found/used a good insulation for the engine cover in thier motorhome? Ours has thin foil covered fiberglass and after a while the whole cover soaks up heat and radiates into the cab.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: