Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 216 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #1681
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,691
First Winter

I'm new to RVing and a full timer. My site in on the Columbia River about 20 miles north of Portland.

With winter approaching, I'm considering insulation strategies.
Has anyone tried using bubble wrap on the windows? It seems that it would be a perty good insulator while allowing in plenty of light.
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #1682
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn

I really, really don't like the idea of a dually pickup as a daily driver but have looked at some diesel-powered pickups with single rear tires.
The big PIA with a dually is parking, I just back in to parking places. After a while you get used to it and it ain't no big deal. Oh, and then there's buying six tires, that kinda sucks.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #1683
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
I don't know what this fine box is, but I saw it yesterday in Ft. Pierce, Florida. Nobody was around, but I haven't seen one before.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #1684
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerron
Has anyone tried using bubble wrap on the windows? It seems that it would be a perty good insulator while allowing in plenty of light.
not sure but i bet its a not a great insulator. I used the metalic stuff they sell in sheets at home depot then cut to fit the windows and then velcro to pull back sections to allow light. Very ghetto but i use the rig in snow so function is at a premium. Looks like you wont get below freezing but attack any areas where drafts come in and since you have a hookup a space heater with tip over protection might work. Thats not a bad view!
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #1685
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,457
Quote:
I'm new to RVing and a full timer. My site in on the Columbia River about 20 miles north of Portland.

Would you mind sharing what space rent runs you?

Thanks

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #1686
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
I used the metalic stuff they sell in sheets at home depot then cut to fit the windows and then velcro to pull back sections to allow light.

That seems to be the popular solution around here, although in this area it's heat, not cold that folks need to guard against.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #1687
beemerron
machine washable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL
Would you mind sharing what space rent runs you?

Thanks
I'm paying $420 w/43 cable channels + elect. @ .08 k/h + $12 for wi-fi.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #1688
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
For insulation help try furniture blankets, the kind used by movers. I use them in flight to plug up the drafts where my camera deploys through the airplane. You'll also get some sound isolation as well.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a similar vintage class c. For the last few years I've been heading out to So Cal around February for a few months just to remind some clients that I'm still alive. Usually I take the truck and bike and stay with a friend. Even though my friend is great and the invite still stands, I want to do the RV thing. The wife and I did a few months in my parents class A in 03 and I've been itching to do it again.

The biggest obstacle for me now is the lack of "sanctioned camp space" near the Greater Burbank Metropolitan area. I don't mind grabbing some shut-eye in a parking lot, but the idea of street camping for two months is out of the question. Plus those sunsets don't look quite as pretty from the parking lot of Ralphs

I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #1689
beemerron
machine washable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialFilm1
For insulation help try furniture blankets, the kind used by movers. I use them in flight to plug up the drafts where my camera deploys through the airplane. You'll also get some sound isolation as well.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a similar vintage class c. For the last few years I've been heading out to So Cal around February for a few months just to remind some clients that I'm still alive. Usually I take the truck and bike and stay with a friend. Even though my friend is great and the invite still stands, I want to do the RV thing. The wife and I did a few months in my parents class A in 03 and I've been itching to do it again.

The biggest obstacle for me now is the lack of "sanctioned camp space" near the Greater Burbank Metropolitan area. I don't mind grabbing some shut-eye in a parking lot, but the idea of street camping for two months is out of the question. Plus those sunsets don't look quite as pretty from the parking lot of Ralphs
Mine is a 24' and I've decided that it's about 4' too short. Other than the rear queen, there's no room to kick back. The dinette seat is only good for about a half hour. When I made the leap, I need to find something that would hold my 42" plasma TV.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #1690
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
just been to the NZ Campervan expo at the weekend but my camera died half way round...argh!

will post up what pics i took later on today....

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #1691
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Mine is a 24' and I've decided that it's about 4' too short. Other than the rear queen, there's no room to kick back. The dinette seat is only good for about a half hour. When I made the leap, I need to find something that would hold my 42" plasma TV.
24 is what I'm looking for but keep going back and forth on ideal length. Having that lounge space has advantages. For me still the biggest thing is a real bed, not something that has to be converted from a couch or dinette.

Is your tv mounted to anything or do you stow it when under way?

I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #1692
beemerron
machine washable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialFilm1
24 is what I'm looking for but keep going back and forth on ideal length. Having that lounge space has advantages. For me still the biggest thing is a real bed, not something that has to be converted from a couch or dinette.

Is your tv mounted to anything or do you stow it when under way?
Re the TV: It sits on the platform, but is braced w/ 2 channel columns and angle braces that I made from aluminum angle stock. Only the left one is shown. The right side was made after the pix was shot. When on the road, I strap together, although I'm perty sure it would travel ok w/o the strap.

Re the bed: My rear corner queen is quite comfy, albeit a pain in the ass to change. I'm still trying to figure a way to change it with a bum leg and arm. I would like another place to lounge, however while the mattress catches it's breath.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #1693
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,167
Where do you dump? I've been "boondocking" at a couple of races and get-togethers and going straight home where I don't really have a way to get rid of Black and Gray water at home. I have been going out of the way to get to parks and use their stations when available. In the past I have seen rest areas with dump stations (probably in MS) but now that I need one, the ones I went through in TN didn't have them.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #1694
norcal-SAHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
Where do you dump? I've been "boondocking" at a couple of races and get-togethers and going straight home where I don't really have a way to get rid of Black and Gray water at home. I have been going out of the way to get to parks and use their stations when available. In the past I have seen rest areas with dump stations (probably in MS) but now that I need one, the ones I went through in TN didn't have them.
I created my own dump station at home. I park our trailer next the house, just outside the kitchen. There's a drain cleanout coming through the wall there. A few adapters later, and I have my own personal dump station. Only problem is that it's about 2 feet above ground. Easy solution though, either buy a Macerator pump, or a Sewer Solution. Personally I use a Sewer Solution which works just fine, though it takes quite a while.

If you are lucky, you'll have a cleanout in your driveway, or front yard somewhere you can just tap into and do it super simple, just gravity like a dump station.
norcal-SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #1695
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
Where do you dump? I've been "boondocking" at a couple of races and get-togethers and going straight home where I don't really have a way to get rid of Black and Gray water at home.
Have you tried calling your Dept of Public Works, sewer division? Many towns with sewer processing allow free RV dumping but are rarely publicized. My town didn't allow it but the next town did.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: