Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #1696
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
Where do you dump?

Most (every?) RV parks will allow you to dump for a small fee.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #1697
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerron
I'm paying $420 w/43 cable channels + elect. @ .08 k/h + $12 for wi-fi.
Right on, thank you for the heads up.

I've been looking around a bit trying to get an idea of what things would run $$ wise.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #1698
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,343
We (my wife, three kids, dog, and I) are considering full time RV living. We move a lot due to the military and think we could pay off our rig and truck...instead of paying $2k per month for our rent, we could save more than half of it with the right rig AND pay it off. We are considering the Raptor toy hauler or a higher end model that can be lived in for the next 3-4 years.

Feedback we get from friends and family is that we're crazy. I think I would purchase a portable garage for the bikes and/or pay for a storage area for other stuff. We tend to move every two to three years and there are numerous military campgrounds. Our kids are adventurous (2,6, and 8) and resilient.

We have 10 more months on our lease and I look forward to the possibilities. I'm enjoying this thread...
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #1699
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShrinker
We (my wife, three kids, dog, and I) are considering full time RV living. We move a lot due to the military and think we could pay off our rig and truck...instead of paying $2k per month for our rent, we could save more than half of it with the right rig AND pay it off. We are considering the Raptor toy hauler or a higher end model that can be lived in for the next 3-4 years.

Feedback we get from friends and family is that we're crazy. I think I would purchase a portable garage for the bikes and/or pay for a storage area for other stuff. We tend to move every two to three years and there are numerous military campgrounds. Our kids are adventurous (2,6, and 8) and resilient.

We have 10 more months on our lease and I look forward to the possibilities. I'm enjoying this thread...

As long as they don't send you to Greenland it sounds like a plan to me.

I'm not sure about the rules but as you said there are military RV parks at many bases.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #1700
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:

May I post a critical view of this plan? Kids need space of their own. This is more than a camping trip. While I may be all wet and they handle it fine, I think for them it would get old very quickly. Even the largest park model 5th wheel would get VERY small VERY fast with three young children. You basically have one bedroom, one (small) bathroom and a kitchen/great room. That's it. Basically a 320 square foot studio apartment.

I urge you to really think this one out before pulling the trigger on it. Really understand you will be living in that for years on end. Not a month trip to the coast. Just being able to carry the supplies a family of 5 needs to survive week to week would be a stretch. No going to Costco to save money because you would need to buy in small quantities due to lack of storage space for a case of TP, etc. You get my point.

Just think about it. I have known too many retired couples with no kids go batshit crazy trying to full time. 3 kids would amplify the problem multiple times over.

It's for the kids, man.

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #1701
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,914
Quote:
We (my wife, three kids, dog, and I) are considering full time RV living. We move a lot due to the military and think we could pay off our rig and truck...

We are considering the Raptor toy hauler or a higher end model that can be lived in for the next 3-4 years.
What Sasquatch said x buh-zillion!

Let me add some more onion to your shit sandwich.

Even the best RVs that will stand up to full time, will crumble under the destructive nature of growing children. In any RV everything you touch, turn, push or pull is done with a gentle touch. They don't do well to with slamming, stomping, yanking or shoving. I would hazard to say that after a few years you're not going to have an RV worth anything. So even if it's paid for what do you do with it? Trade on a new unit and keep paying?

Give the kids some walls and real furniture. Do the RV thing when it's just the two if you.

I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #1702
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
It can be done IF your family is not dysfunctional, is ok with zero personal space and your kids are the "adventerous" type who don't mind being made fun of.

Watch a few episodes of promised land.

Take it from someone who's parents also had the same brilliant idea.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #1703
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,122
Who's the guy with the bus building thread?

I've worked out a deal with the Mrs. to get a school bus after Flying Eyeball planted the seed. Actually watered a dormant 20 year old seed (thanks, BTW).

I know shit about older busses, and less about building one out, but it will happen (I hope).
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #1704
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,799
We were looking at the Raptor and the Voltage TH's at the RV show a couple of weeks ago. One of the floor plans had a half bath off the garage. In both models, there were roof stored queen sized beds, in addition to an above the garage loft. Granted, you wouldn't be using the queen beds while the garage is full but if you are parked, you could always find a storage place for the toys while the kids utilize the extra space.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #1705
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,343
There are quite a few military folks who are living full time in RVs. We have some close friends who are doing it and they are sort of our experiment to see the reality up close and personal.

We aren't sure if we are ready to take the plunge, but are definitely considering it. I appreciate the tasty feedback, too, especially the onion on my shit sandwich.

The Voltage seems a little better than the Raptor, doesn't it?
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #1706
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Who's the guy with the bus building thread?

I've worked out a deal with the Mrs. to get a school bus after Flying Eyeball planted the seed. Actually watered a dormant 20 year old seed (thanks, BTW).

I know shit about older busses, and less about building one out, but it will happen (I hope).
I think you're looking for natedog.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #1707
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,799
We liked the fit and finish of the Votage better than the Raptor. The floor plan with dual access to the forward lav was good also. We were not able to get more than a brochure and a peak at two floor plans. The dealer only had those two in stock (3900 and 3905). I wanted to see the 3600 model shown in the brochure but no joy.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #1708
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country
I think you're looking for natedog.
Not sure he does - Natedog is building a truck to pull a 5th-wheeler. I seem to recall there was a thread on here where an inmate converted a school bus into an RV - I get the impression that's the thread the guy is looking for
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #1709
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Not sure he does - Natedog is building a truck to pull a 5th-wheeler. I seem to recall there was a thread on here where an inmate converted a school bus into an RV - I get the impression that's the thread the guy is looking for
SeanF is the guy with the converted bus here.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #1710
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,192
I was wonderin why my ears were ringin.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: