User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 187 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #181
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Those panel vans (step vans, UPS-style vans) can be about the most evil-handling things out there when it comes to trucks. And considering that the same chassis is (was?) used for many Class A gasoline motorhomes is sorta why I caution about getting something to "race" from event to event.

I just remember how things were when I was a young (and skinny!) bicycle racer and we covered most of Ohio, Indiana, and so forth on 2- and 3-day weekends. I remember doing some trips in an RV and knowing what I know today it would be tough to do those same trips. If you are racing motorcycles, competitive, and always running late, well ...

On the other hand, if money wasn't a major consideration and/or you had an extra day to travel than yeah ... a motorhome looks great.

I looked at one of the Kodiak-based Class C's and we were giving that a lot of thought until we decided to full-time it. Since then I have run into a family doing motocross races with one of them and thought that the whole operation looked pretty sharp.

All of this assumes that you don't have the ca$h for a serious tractor-trailer based transporter ...

Strong chassis for a Class C, good compromise on size, and able to tow a 10K pound trailer if you would rather tow than haul your bikes:

Thinking about this from a poor man's perspective, then find a chassis of that size and begin a conversion process.

Just my $.02 worth.

The Forward Control Bluebirds are popular with a number of amateur auto racers. I've said it a few times around here, that if my ship ever returns financially I wouldn't mind having a smaller single-axle Bluebird to use to tow a sailboat every so often. It wouldn't replace the Big Bird, but would compliment it for weekend trips.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #182
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Not to change the subject.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/1188954945.html

She's a little beauty aint she?

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #183
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs
Not to change the subject.

ges.craigslist.org/3n13me3o3ZZZZZZZZZ95pe27349e4d6921464.jpg[/IMG]

She's a little beauty aint she?

Sure looks clean!

There are always bargains showing up when it comes to trucks, buses, and RVs. eBay sometimes makes for some entertaining reading.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #184
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Those panel vans (step vans, UPS-style vans) can be about the most evil-handling things out there when it comes to trucks. And considering that the same chassis is (was?) used for many Class A gasoline motorhomes is sorta why I caution about getting something to "race" from event to event.

I just remember how things were when I was a young (and skinny!) bicycle racer and we covered most of Ohio, Indiana, and so forth on 2- and 3-day weekends. I remember doing some trips in an RV and knowing what I know today it would be tough to do those same trips. If you are racing motorcycles, competitive, and always running late, well ...

On the other hand, if money wasn't a major consideration and/or you had an extra day to travel than yeah ... a motorhome looks great.

I looked at one of the Kodiak-based Class C's and we were giving that a lot of thought until we decided to full-time it. Since then I have run into a family doing motocross races with one of them and thought that the whole operation looked pretty sharp.

All of this assumes that you don't have the ca$h for a serious tractor-trailer based transporter ...

Strong chassis for a Class C, good compromise on size, and able to tow a 10K pound trailer if you would rather tow than haul your bikes:

Thinking about this from a poor man's perspective, then find a chassis of that size and begin a conversion process.

Just my $.02 worth.

The Forward Control Bluebirds are popular with a number of amateur auto racers. I've said it a few times around here, that if my ship ever returns financially I wouldn't mind having a smaller single-axle Bluebird to use to tow a sailboat every so often. It wouldn't replace the Big Bird, but would compliment it for weekend trips.

Money is the major consideration. I will have to go into debt to buy this thing and the only debt I currently have is my house which I wanted to pay off in the next 4 years. I am not a competetive racer, but I like to travel a couple hundred miles to races. I have been getting up at 4:00am to haul ass 3 hours and make a 7:00 am rider's meeting. I don't need to go race to race, just leave Saturday night and spend the night 1 or 2 times a month.

I wanted this one bad, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455122

If it had been within driving distance so i could check it out, I would probably own it by now. The mileage, black wrap and fact that it was owned and used for commercial scared my wife away. There was a cool bluebird on here a while back for 16K, but I just can't bring home something that old. My poor wife has been subjected to and stranded by the '62 Glasspar boat, the '70s Honda motorcycles, the "84 Jet Ski, my '81 911 (actually that served us pretty well) so long, there is no way she is going to trust a multi-state trip in an old school bus.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #185
nwgs OP
solarfied

Here is an example

Of a real good deal.

You might pick this thing up for 25k and these are nice motorhomes.

The diesel with no slides are going for real good prices now.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/1190855212.html

The List
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #186
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs
What I did was buy a Wells Cargo trailer. I should go get some pictures for you guys and maybe if you beg I will later..
Here's my trailer -- 6x16, 2 fold-down beds, cabinets, fits 2 medium size street bikes. No bafroom or cooking, I rigged up a dryer vent for one of those roll-around AC/Heater units and I have a 12' e-z up instead of an awning. If I ever get the scratch, I'm getting one of those mini toy-haulers like the Coachmen Blast 150.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #187
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercarver
Fuck! I'm going to be up all damn night. I'm only on diary 4 of the rebuild after a significant chunk of an hour of reading.

This is slower going than the bus build...
I did the same thing. Sorry

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #188
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Here's my trailer -- 6x16, 2 fold-down beds, cabinets, fits 2 medium size street bikes. No bafroom or cooking, I rigged up a dryer vent for one of those roll-around AC/Heater units and I have a 12' e-z up instead of an awning. If I ever get the scratch, I'm getting one of those mini toy-haulers like the Coachmen Blast 150.

Problem with that type of rig is you can't sleep in it when the bikes are loaded.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #189
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
Problem with that type of rig is you can't sleep in it when the bikes are loaded.
Yes, but a very nice setup.

The List
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #190
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
Money is the major consideration.

It is for all of us my friend ... it is for all of us.

You'll find something. You've obviously given what you need some serious thought.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #191
PirateJohn
Banned

Fixer-upper Bluebird in Atlanta

I know nothing about this except that it's was on a Bluebird discussion group today. He says that he will consider trading for a motorcycle, so some of you horse traders might be interested.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/rvs/1180802270.html
Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #192
PirateJohn
Banned

Another Craigslist B-bird - Utah

Once again, I know nothing about it except that it's on the Wanderlodge boards today.

http://provo.craigslist.org/rvs/1159103257.html

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #193
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,137

Link.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #194
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,313
that is sweet!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #195
PirateJohn
Banned

Unusual chassis ... I found it on the Navistar site under their military trucks.

Added later:

~~~

From http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...t-pickups.html

Navistar Quietly Kills Giant CXT, MXT and RXT Consumer and Commercial Pickups
By: Mike Levine Posted: 09-26-08 09:51 PT
© 2008 PickupTrucks.com

Page: [1]

Our colleagues at KickingTires are reporting that International has quietly pulled the plug on its XT line of giant consumer and commercial pickups. The CXT, MXT and RXT trucks have already been removed from International's website.

The XT trucks were some of the largest haulers in the full-size segment, with price tags to match. They cost from $70,000 to $135,000.

The MXT was a five-passenger 4x4 with a 300-horsepower V-8 diesel engine and five-speed automatic transmission. It could tow 8 tons and haul up to 2 tons.

The CXT started out as a standard International Class 7 chassis cab, upfitted with an 8-foot dual-rear-wheel cargo box. Its standard 220-hp six-cylinder diesel engine could pull up to 10 tons.

International reported the CXT's fuel economy at 8 to 10 mpg, with a cruising range of up to 700 miles thanks to its 70-gallon fuel tank. Top speed was limited to 84 mph.

The RXT was a smaller, stylish, two-wheel-drive version of the CXT. It was 8-feet tall, 228feet long and weighed just over five tons.

International will continue to sell versions of the trucks to the military.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 02:47 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: