Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 220 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #2386
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So, what sort of tankage do people like to have onboard their RV?

Potable?

Black?

Grey?

and how long does it last for how many people?

TIA.
I've got 66 fresh, 50 black, and two grey tanks (not sure of the size). I've got two grey tanks because the kitchen is in the rear of the unit with the bathroom in the middle.

We often spend the weekend, arrive on a Friday night and leave Sunday morning, at our state parks that don't have full hookups. I take showers using the parks facilities and my wife will use the shower in the trailer most of the time. She takes a navy type shower but isn't overly careful and we've not run out of water or filled the tanks.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #2387
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
RV rental

I'm looking to rent a smallish unit for the 2 of us.

Plan:
Fly into Las Vegas late April
Pick up unit
Take 4~5 days to sight see area, like Death Valley, Mojave.

Main question.
Am I nuts to do this?
If not, I found several places that rent in Las Vegas, can anyone recommend one?
Things to look out for?
Words of wisdom?
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #2388
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
my bluebird has a 100 gal fresh water tank but the black and grey tanks only add up to about 85 gallons
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #2389
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
I'm looking to rent a smallish unit for the 2 of us.

Plan:
Fly into Las Vegas late April
Pick up unit
Take 4~5 days to sight see area, like Death Valley, Mojave.

Main question.
Am I nuts to do this?
If not, I found several places that rent in Las Vegas, can anyone recommend one?
Things to look out for?
Words of wisdom?
Why would you think this is nuts? Nuts is buying a quickly depreciating machine and not knowing if you'll like it. Before we bought our own RV we used to fly to California and LV and rented from El Monte RV. The machines were always nice and we had no problems. They picked my family up at the airport in a large van and dropped us off at hotels or the airport when we were done. I would use them again in a minute.
As for words of wisdom, I'd get a smaller classA. The "big screen" windshield is the way to see new places. That would be even more so if you had more than two people. Our kids had said how much they enjoyed seeing the redwoods through it.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #2390
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,883
Can decent class A and C rigs be had for under 15k? I dont need anything bigger than 26'. Any tips for avoiding lemons?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #2391
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharino View Post
Can decent class A and C rigs be had for under 15k? I dont need anything bigger than 26'. Any tips for avoiding lemons?
Absolutely. We bought a 1997 Southwind 31' class A last year for $6700. Not a problem with it over 2000 miles. Sold it for $12,000 to buy a very loaded 1997 36' Pace Arrow Vision. Paid $13,500 including a brand new car dolly and full tank of gas. 3000 miles later, not a problem. The damn thing looks like new inside and out. Tipout, oak cabinets, levelers, washer/dryer, real dining room table and chairs, china cabinet,...
Tips? Look for water damage inside. Walls would be wavy, floor edges punky. Check ALL systems- truck and house.
There are great deals to be had. Just make looking at Craigslist your new hobby.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #2392
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Why would you think this is nuts? Nuts is buying a quickly depreciating machine and not knowing if you'll like it. Before we bought our own RV we used to fly to California and LV and rented from El Monte RV. The machines were always nice and we had no problems. They picked my family up at the airport in a large van and dropped us off at hotels or the airport when we were done. I would use them again in a minute.
As for words of wisdom, I'd get a smaller classA. The "big screen" windshield is the way to see new places. That would be even more so if you had more than two people. Our kids had said how much they enjoyed seeing the redwoods through it.

I guess "Nuts" was not a good word.
It's something I thought would be fun to try, and a good test to see if an RV should be in the future.
Thanks for the recomendation. I did see El Monte RV in my Googling. I'll call over there.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #2393
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,883
Quote:
Absolutely. We bought a 1997 Southwind 31' class A last year for $6700. Not a problem with it over 2000 miles. Sold it for $12,000 to buy a very loaded 1997 36' Pace Arrow Vision. Paid $13,500 including a brand new car dolly and full tank of gas. 3000 miles later, not a problem. The damn thing looks like new inside and out. Tipout, oak cabinets, levelers, washer/dryer, real dining room table and chairs, china cabinet,...
Tips? Look for water damage inside. Walls would be wavy, floor edges punky. Check ALL systems- truck and house.
There are great deals to be had. Just make looking at Craigslist your new hobby.
Thanks for the info, sounds like you really know your way around RV's. I've been pouring over CL for the last couple of weeks. I don't see many 24 25 foot Class A so it may be easier to find a class C. Any models or makes to steer completely clear of?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #2394
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Helpful (hopefully) PM sent.
I've heard the saying "If you want your ship to come in you better build a dock." Diligent searches and a bit of travel is building that dock.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #2395
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
..."If you want your ship to come in you better build a dock." ...

good one!
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2396
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
here's a great RV that a friend of mine has had for 30 years!

I believe it's got a Olds 455 in it, and actually gets 12 mpg!!!

he 's a custom cabinet builder...and it shows!!! The workmanship is breathtaking!!
OMG

That is so awesome.
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #2397
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So, what sort of tankage do people like to have onboard their RV?

Potable?

Black?

Grey?

and how long does it last for how many people?

TIA.

100 gals Fuel

100 gals fresh

80 gals Grey

65 gals Black

For two of us we've filled the Grey a couple times after a week of full cooking washing dishes and full showers once a day. One night after she did dishes we sat there wondering what the heck that smell was. Grey water filing the shower pan. Stinky shit.
Never came close on the Black.
If were to really conserve I'm sure we could last for two weeks.
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #2398
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I'm trying to remember. 300 gallons diesel, at least 100 gallons of fresh water, maybe 80/80 gallons gray water and poo.

I used to keep the Bluebird at a place that didn't have a dump so I had to take it to an RV park once every 6-7 days to empty the tanks. The Former Management and I (two people aboard) used to go 6 days on gray water and once when the starter failed and I had to order parts I managed to go over 2 weeks on the poo tank, but that was fairly miserable (pee in the woods, sent Her to live elsewhere after the first week, etc.).
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #2399
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,057
Dang you guys are spoiled or I'm jealous one...or both.

My little Casita has a 25 gal fresh tank, (optioned up from std 16,) a 15 gal black and 32 gal gray.

Two of us could easily go a week w/o dumping. But of course we were careful and it was more like a camping experience than what you're used to in a motorhome. Few showers, few dishes, pretty much using the head only at night if we could avoid it by "going" at the rest area or gas station during the day whenever convenient.

Curse the slinky...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #2400
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post
100 gals Fuel

100 gals fresh

80 gals Grey

65 gals Black

For two of us we've filled the Grey a couple times after a week of full cooking washing dishes and full showers once a day. One night after she did dishes we sat there wondering what the heck that smell was. Grey water filing the shower pan. Stinky shit.
Never came close on the Black.
If were to really conserve I'm sure we could last for two weeks.
Same here on all counts. We agree, grey water in the shower pan is stinky. Just have to make sure you don't go off kilter getting to the dump station if you get that full. I had my wife sit next to it holding a cup upside down over the drain. You don't want that spurting out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: