User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #2431
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
it's fine. i've never had any experience with them, but didn't want this thread to get lost in the annals
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #2432
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,876
Just purchased a Nissan Armada to be my tow rig. Wife is luke warm to the trailer stuff so going to break her in slow. I'm going to rent a trailer in February for. 3 day shake down/ test. If seen a couple of places in Portland that rent trailers...any reccomdations?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #2433
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 924
Joining the assylum!!

1994 Fleetwood Flair, 22 fter

Going to be trying this as a full time home
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #2434
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,030
more info and pictures!

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #2435
GHO100
Crazy George

Will be coming soon! I did all the paperwork and checked it out, will be picking it up on Thursday evening, so expect pictures and a write-up this weekend.

I live in brooklyn at the moment and work in manhattan. Its my goal to make this self-sustaining (I have minimal electrical needs) and be able to park it on the street, moving for weekly street cleaning.

So, yeah. I'm going to be needing to learn from all of this lists experiences.

More info to follow!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #2436
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

I've never heard of full timing in a major city- at least not in anything more than a stalker van. This should be interesting.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #2437
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,006
GHO.Cool stuff, I think the trick will be to move it pretty often. There is a pretty big RV near me that the guy moves every week for alternate side. His neighbors hate him, but he doesn't live in it, and it is inspected, etc. You need to just lay low with it and move a bunch. I think it would be nice on JD's corner
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #2438
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Joining the assylum!!

1994 Fleetwood Flair, 22 fter

Going to be trying this as a full time home
Perfect size.

nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #2439
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post
Perfect size.

I agree. I think that we may go back to a 30 footer or so. The 36.5' that we have is very nice, but stupid long.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #2440
GHO100
Crazy George

Mind sharing some of those with me? I've been looking everywhere for instances of city living motorhome experiments, but not coming up with much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
there are some pretty cool blogs about folks doing it.

and some funny tales about the stuff they encounter while doing it.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #2441
nwgs OP
solarfied

Once in a while you just kinda shake your head at these things.
$3950 would be a fair price. It's a 20 year old motorhome for crying out loud in a down economy.
Never know it is clean he might find a sucker, and hey, it's never had a pet in it.

WINNEBAGO MINI WINNIE BEAUTIFUL CONDITION - $8500 (PORTLAND OR)

hello i am selling my one owner very well maintained and super clean adult owned aswell. never been lived in or smoked in or had a pet inside. it has a 460 gas engine with rebuitl carb and new fuel pump too. it has power steering power brakes dash ac roof ac great working generator roof rack ladder on the back with spare tires, the inside is like brand new and hardly ever used it has full restroom with shower sink and toilet. in the kitchen area there is a dbl door fridge dbl sink microwave stove and oven booth dinette the folds into a bed over cab area the sleeps two and a full bed in the rear that sleeps two so it will sleep 6 easly it runs and drives and even still looks like new always stored under cover so no leaks. it is mechanicly sound and very dependable and super clean.give me a call if you are interested thanks for looking,
Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #2442
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
I've got a friend that has a Cortez, and they have a very dedicated cult following.
Yeah, most of that stuff has "cult followings" now. I got into one when I was really getting serious about a Travco, then went there first when I got the Boles-Aero. (The Boles list is pretty funny. Kind of a vintage clique that think the "canned ham" trailers are the "real" Boles. Kind of like here with BMW's, or Harleys)

Quote:
I live in brooklyn at the moment and work in manhattan. Its my goal to make this self-sustaining (I have minimal electrical needs) and be able to park it on the street, moving for weekly street cleaning.

So, yeah. I'm going to be needing to learn from all of this lists experiences.

More info to follow!
Ya know, just the other day after reading a post on the Travco list about "sold my 27' for a cottage" where someone had sold his non-roadworthy motorhome to someone to use for a guest cottage, I started thinking. I could park my Boles in a suitable vacant lot near the city and have what would, in effect, be a $3500/month apt.

Quote:
Mind sharing some of those with me? I've been looking everywhere for instances of city living motorhome experiments, but not coming up with much.
+1

Start with Tin Can Tourist and you'll find a bunch of links from there. There's a few good full-timing forums but I can't remember their names.

Also, you know that WalMart pretty much allows "camping" in their parking lots, right? I don't know if they have any time limit, or any way to police same, but I've stayed in one three days before without anyone saying "boo" to me.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #2443
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I've never heard of full timing in a major city- at least not in anything more than a stalker van. This should be interesting.
Remember this guy?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #2444
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

Also, you know that WalMart pretty much allows "camping" in their parking lots, right? I don't know if they have any time limit, or any way to police same, but I've stayed in one three days before without anyone saying "boo" to me.

There are actually at least two lists devoted to WalMart camping and WalMart etiquette. Not all will let you camp out at them and much of that has to do with local ordinances. Supposedly you cannot camp out at the WalMarts near Daytona Beach, for instance. On the other hand I've been to a few where large groups of RV'ers and truckers hung out long tern.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #2445
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
There are actually at least two lists devoted to WalMart camping and WalMart etiquette. Not all will let you camp out at them and much of that has to do with local ordinances. Supposedly you cannot camp out at the WalMarts near Daytona Beach, for instance. On the other hand I've been to a few where large groups of RV'ers and truckers hung out long tern.
We spent no less than 40 days at Walmart in the last year, it's a win win for both of us and always a movie.

Walmart never says you cannot stay there, it is ALWAYS local rules that enforce a no stay rule.

We easily spend the money that would usually go to an RV spot and enjoy walking the aisles as evening entertainment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: