Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 262 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #241
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
Don't click here. There are many like these. Just sayin'...
why!!!! did I click oh why!!!!!

time to read this again

AngryScot screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 10:36 PM
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #242
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,615

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rvs/1205672500.html

This is exactly what I want. In a good price range.
I've mentioned these things before and they have a cult following.
All wood interiors and really cool.
Looks to me like this one is for a long bed.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #243
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,366
Another Yurt story I saw this morning here.

Save 20% when you sign up to the best photo hosting site around: SmugMug!
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #244
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rvs/1205672500.html

This is exactly what I want. In a good price range.
I've mentioned these things before and they have a cult following.
All wood interiors and really cool.
Looks to me like this one is for a long bed.

These are for those on more of a budget and want more rugged.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html

Save 20% when you sign up to the best photo hosting site around: SmugMug!
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #245
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,518
There are two Airstream motorhomes on the dealer's lot in Tucson......
Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #246
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,485
Gotta post pictures of my new Headers.....Thorley long tube Tri-Y ceramic coated smog-legal headers..... that's a mouth full.

The smog tubes hit the firewall...Here are the pics I sent to Thorley informing them of how their design needed some fabrication to make fit.

With the fitment issues sorted out I will say they are awesome. Freakin Motor home runs like a hotrod. 460 with new heads and new exhaust a complete tune-up, fluids and a some other odds and ends and it's like getting a new motorhome....

There are lots of older rigs like mine that have and need this type of work as they get older. If you do look at an older unit try and find one that has already had the work done....
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #247
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I ran into this old girl barely on the US side of the Nogales crossing, in a storage lot at a truck repair place back in 1999. Wonder if she's still there? Looks like some potentially great RV material for someone that wants something unique.

That thing is absolutely freakin' cool. Does anybody know what it is? I'm thinking 1950s GMC Scenicruiser but I can't find any information about that quad-axle chassis. Me want!
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #248
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,492
A guy a coupla blocks away has an Airstream Bambi forsale ,I want it bad,but find myself sadly impecunious,maybe he'll trade for the Travco.
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #249
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
That thing is absolutely freakin' cool. Does anybody know what it is? I'm thinking 1950s GMC Scenicruiser but I can't find any information about that quad-axle chassis. Me want!
Wasn't that bus in National Lampoon's Mexican Family Vacation.. Ultimate Family Bus-ster . The tail lights (all eight) do it for me!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #250
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
Gotta post pictures of my new Headers.....Thorley long tube Tri-Y ceramic coated smog-legal headers..... that's a mouth full.

The smog tubes hit the firewall...Here are the pics I sent to Thorley informing them of how their design needed some fabrication to make fit.

With the fitment issues sorted out I will say they are awesome. Freakin Motor home runs like a hotrod. 460 with new heads and new exhaust a complete tune-up, fluids and a some other odds and ends and it's like getting a new motorhome....

There are lots of older rigs like mine that have and need this type of work as they get older. If you do look at an older unit try and find one that has already had the work done....
Heat quenched nightmares. I spent a good chunk of time in the local machine shop where every now and then a motorhome engine found it's way out of a dog house into the shop. Unbelievable the amount of destruction in a short period of time living in a space with little air blowing through. Most of the distributors would crumble along with all the insulation on all the wires. Cutting those blocks would always take a toll on the carbide bit as they where heat harden to the max...
Fun to see the owners face when he lights up the tires when they are rebuilt thou. Torque is the only goal makes for an easy economical build.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #251
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_rydr
Heat quenched nightmares. I spent a good chunk of time in the local machine shop where every now and then a motorhome engine found it's way out of a dog house into the shop. Unbelievable the amount of destruction in a short period of time living in a space with little air blowing through. Most of the distributors would crumble along with all the insulation on all the wires. Cutting those blocks would always take a toll on the carbide bit as they where heat harden to the max...
Fun to see the owners face when he lights up the tires when they are rebuilt thou. Torque is the only goal makes for an easy economical build.
Sooo..... How do I build real torque with a 440-3? Mine runs like a scalded ape, but does not have enough way down low. Twist her tail and she flys (for a motorcoach).

Edelbrock 750 performer carb
Edelbrock performer manifold
Crane "RV" Cam (Yes, I know that one is wrong for the application)
Thorley long tube 1 5/8" headers
MSD 7A ignition with a big performance coil

The block and heads are stock. It runs great, uses no oil, and gets 6-7mpg in the coach at 60-65 mph pulling a tow car as well. I just have to twist her tail to pull hills. Below 2,800 rpm, it seems to fall on its nose. Runs clean, just not the torque I would expect.

Finding a good knowledgeable mopar guy that understands a motorhome environment is tough.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #252
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Mexican labeled ... I want to say a Ramirez or a Santana or something like that. Whatever it is it wasn't a brand that you see in modern Mexican service.

I took the photos a decade ago. The bus is obviously influenced by the Scenicruiser, but it may not be as old as it looks. A decade ago they were still selling old style Flexble buses built under license in Mexico and that was a popular bus. Mexican intercity buses modernized dramatically in the last decade as the old designs got passed over in favor of more modern European designs.

It was at a truck repair facility on the US side very close to the Nogales border crossing. I rode into the lot and quickly took some photos. The "gentleman" who seemed to be in charge made it plain that he didn't want me coming back into the lot again.

There are two RV-style A/C units on the roof in the front. I'd say that it's already been converted to a band bus or someone was using it in the USA as a motorhome.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 12:10 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #253
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Mexican labeled ... I want to say a Ramirez or a Santana or something like that.

It was at a truck repair facility on the US side very close to the Nogales border crossing. I rode into the lot and quickly took some photos. The "gentleman" who seemed to be in charge made it plain that he didn't want me coming back into the lot again.
I hate you. I've already been looking at satellite maps of Nogales and figuring out how long it would take me to get there.

I really did search the web high and low looking for who made that thing. I found all kinds of quad axle coaches (old and new) but nothing pointing to that one.

Edit: Dina? Flexiliner? I'm getting warmer. I'm finding pictures that match those front windows now.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #254
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
I hate you. I've already been looking at satellite maps of Nogales and figuring out how long it would take me to get there.

Slacker! I was running the miles on DeLorme Street Atlas and thinking "when I get to Texas later this month, I could take a couple of day and ride to Nogales ..."

Quote:
I really did search the web high and low looking for who made that thing. I found all kinds of quad axle coaches (old and new) but nothing pointing to that one.

Edit: Dina? Flexiliner? I'm getting warmer. I'm finding pictures that match those front windows now.
For some reason right now I am thinking "Samson."

Pretty sure it's not Dina, because Dina is still around in the form of older trucks and I think that I would remember that.

I cannot find any dual front axle coaches other than Neoplan, and this clearly is from a different generation.

If you find anything then let me know. I'm curious too.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #255
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Your picture:

Dina Flexiliner:

Similar ribbed siding and very similar windows. The curved / slanted side windows up front are what got me headed down that path. Samson looks like a a bus-line similar to Greyhound, but not a manufacturer. I just want to know what it is. The worst thing that could happen is that I find out what it is and where I can get one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: