Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 216 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #2986
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
One of the old Vixen Motorhomes popped up in my Bring A Trailer notice this am.

Sounds pretty nice!

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/09/13/go-gm-v8-powered-1986-vixen-rv/

I have no affiliation with the seller, just thought it was a cool old motorhome.

If you are a gear head and don't subscribe to Bring A Trailer you are missing some truly wonderful and quirky cars, trucks, and other oddities.
Nice - pity it didn't have the diesel in it though.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #2987
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Looks like I am getting this plus enough spares to build a second one and still have about half a truck left over. 18,000 lb. GVWR, better mileage than any diesel pusher when empty and about the same as the most frugal when pulling a 39-41 ft. trailer. Special factory sleeper. Supposedly driven weekly, has all the hitches for towing. Some touch up paint and cleaning and she should be good to go. Not quite the wheelbase that I wanted but the price is right and I should be able to have a garage dormitory box constructed that can carry one and maybe two bikes on the back of the truck.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #2988
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,282
Nissan?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #2989
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Nissan?
UD, used to be Nissan, yes. Owned by Volvo.

UD Trucks Wiki
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #2990
PirateJohn
Banned

Yup. Nissan UD1800 from awhile back. But the price was right and the prospect of having all of those parts including 2 complete sleeper cabs will give me plenty to tinker with.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #2991
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
I guess I missed the memo, did you get out of your Blue Bird John?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #2992
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Yup. Nissan UD1800 from awhile back. But the price was right and the prospect of having all of those parts including 2 complete sleeper cabs will give me plenty to tinker with.

Beautiful...he'll of a tool.
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #2993
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,770
hey....an aftermarket sunvisor too!!! COOLIO!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #2994
wilfred
juvenile delinquent

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Looks like I am getting this plus enough spares to build a second one and still have about half a truck left over. 18,000 lb. GVWR, better mileage than any diesel pusher when empty and about the same as the most frugal when pulling a 39-41 ft. trailer. Special factory sleeper. Supposedly driven weekly, has all the hitches for towing. Some touch up paint and cleaning and she should be good to go. Not quite the wheelbase that I wanted but the price is right and I should be able to have a garage dromedary box constructed that can carry one and maybe two bikes on the back of the truck.
I fixed this for you. I think you meant dromedary box.

semper-fi
wilfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #2995
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I guess I missed the memo, did you get out of your Blue Bird John?
Ex- girlfriend of 6 years claimed that it was hers. Along with $12,000 worth of my personal property and electronics that were inside the Wanderlodge, 30 year old racing bicycles that she took out of storage and sold on eBay, 2 of my motorcycles that I owned for years before I met her, my clothing that was in storage, iPad that I bought 6 months after breaking up with her, tools that my old trucking company owned in 1995, etc.

Local grand jury says that they will discuss this in a few months, once they get finished dealing with their big local drug busts. In the mean time I am sending my first check to an attorney and she keeps Tweeting about how she has found God and Jesus.

The one good thing about starting over is that a person presumably has a better idea of what they want.

I bought a modest Southwind on a front gasoline engine chassis and have paid it off already. The Southwind has actually been excellent for working in the oil patch. Now am planning to do the truck and trailer thing as I get back to preparing to travel and ride again.

Dig that external hot water heater, a last minute repair. It may not be pretty but it works!

Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #2996
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I fixed this for you. I think you meant dromedary box.
Yes. Frickin' Apple spelling suggester. Got to watch it like a hawk.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #2997
wilfred
juvenile delinquent

Oddometer: 910
Sorry about the loss of your Bluebird, I have never owned one but I am a fan, I have been in trucking most of my life. I liked the bluebird for the solid truck chassis and good looks. Beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

semper-fi
wilfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #2998
PirateJohn
Banned

I miss the Wanderlodge, mostly from the standpoint that I had worked extensively on it and had everything the way that I wanted it (I had just completed a major remodeling and installed a new microwave that had been used precisely 1 time when she had some clown take it).

Evidently ED (Evangelical Deborah or Evil Deborah, take your choice) didn't pay the repo dude and that's where their stories start to conflict on who stole what and where it's at.

Anyway ... The Wanderlodge was solid but horribly expensive to operate. I had already had one breakdown that stranded me for weeks. And it was a real monster to maneuver here in the oil patch. And as I got down to the border and looked at Mexican RV parks I realized that it was too heavy on electrical consumption to operate in Mexico.

So I had already been looking for a second motor home and was leaning towards getting a Forward Control to supplement the PT-40.

Ironically the guy that I bought the Southwind from sold it to buy a fixer upper late 70's FC Wanderlodge.

Forward Controls get around 8.5 mpg. My PT-40 was running about 4.5 to 5 mpg. Supposedly the UD has been running about 13 unloaded and 9 with a 36 ft. trailer that has an extension for a large motorcycle.

A UD1800 is also supremely nimble - I had driven one quite a bit in the 1990's and was impressed back then.

So there are some pros and cons. I had been looking at a couple of diesel pushers that I could buy at a bargain, Foretravels and Fleetwood American Eagles mostly because I liked the interiors. But a travel trailer looks like it will give me more versatility and I have some things that I am planning and the ability to swap trailers and, perhaps, even swap power units holds appeal right now.

The pro to a FC Wanderlodge compared to the Foretravel and upper end Fleetwood is that the Wanderlodge is solid steel.

The con to a Wanderlodge is that you are generally looking at an older unit for the same money, they may be solid but don't get as good fuel mileage as a Foretravel with the same engine, and I personally think the other motor homes have a nicer interior.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #2999
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
I was afraid it was something like that, stuff like that just ain't no fun for anybody to go through, but in the long run we end up better off.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #3000
PirateJohn
Banned

Yeah, it's been a tough couple of years with the economy turning down, not making any money, and then getting ripped off by several people.

But honestly, except for the recent unpleasantness, I have to consider myself one of the luckiest people on the planet. I have managed to dodge and weave and go from strength to strength for the last three decades without a major setback.

I think I am going to do fine. I had some folks see what was going on and they were incensed and helped me out. If I still insisted on having the house near the beach, the boat, the Porsche and the Mercedes things might be different. But for the last several years I found out that I was happier wandering and riding and I should be back to doing those things pretty quickly. Paperwork's not signed on the UD so there is scope for that to go south but I expect that deal to happen, and if it doesn't I am sure that I can find something similar.

One data point for folks looking for an RV is that there are some real steals (sometimes literally) and deals out here in the oil patch. Just in the last several months I have been startled at the dramatic increase in RV parks. People are making money, other people throw in the towel and quit or get fired. A buddy of mine was living in a diesel pusher Gulfstream that had been essentially abandoned when someone got fired and went to Oklahoma; I was kinda eyeing it myself but he bought it for $10K.

Life goes on ;)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: