IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #3063
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Ah the magical MPG... It's just expensive to get that good of a gas mileage. The return on investment may not work out for casual outings.

How much are these going for versus the Ford E250/350 campers?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #3064
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,054
It is a little hard to justify. Don't get me wrong I've been looking for a Sprinter for a year or more but unless you put a lot of miles on them, the diesel is hard to justify, especially as diesel is considerably more expensive these days. And those good old Fords, anyone can work on them...

That being said, I'm still looking for a Sprinter.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #3065
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
It is a little hard to justify.

That being said, I'm still looking for a Sprinter.
Pretty much true but:

The Ford chassis really do not handle well, Sprinter platform handles like a huge mini van. No power difference Sprinter can hold it own. Sprinter RV have less sg ft.of living space.

The Sprinter will get double the MPG and pull a trailer with little change in the MPG.

I have a class C Sprinter hope the resale some day may off set the added cost.........but if you shop around the Sprinter chassis are getting closer to the Ford in cost. Class B Sprinter are the most cost per sq. ft. of any RV

If I ever upgrade it will be a small Class A diesel (30-33') been there done that with the class C gas

Diesel this summer I have paid a .80 more and .80 less than gasoline per gallon. Average is about .25 more when gas is $3.50 ( 7% higher)
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #3066
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Pretty much true but:

The Ford chassis really do not handle well, Sprinter platform handles like a huge mini van. No power difference Sprinter can hold it own. Sprinter RV have less sg ft.of living space.

The Sprinter will get double the MPG and pull a trailer with little change in the MPG.

I have a class C Sprinter hope the resale some day may off set the added cost.........but if you shop around the Sprinter chassis are getting closer to the Ford in cost. Class B Sprinter are the most cost per sq. ft. of any RV

If I ever upgrade it will be a small Class A diesel (30-33') been there done that with the class C gas

Diesel this summer I have paid a .80 more and .80 less than gasoline per gallon. Average is about .25 more when gas is $3.50 ( 7% higher)
So school me some more. This Sprinter I'm looking for will be my first diesel. Diesel is only 10% higher than gas nationally? And some places it's cheaper? I didn't know that at all.

Handling I believe. I come from a Eurovan and love the stance the Sprinter has. But I also had a E-250 conversion van for 5 years or so and traveled the country with it and didn't find it bad to drive. Mushy and sloppy, but comfortable.

But don't you worry a little about getting work done or finding parts in remote areas? That's probably my main concern.

And I'm looking used, so finding one I trust is an issue off the bat.

But I'm Hellbent on finding a Sprinter....

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #3067
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
So school me some more. This Sprinter I'm looking for will be my first diesel. Diesel is only 10% higher than gas nationally? And some places it's cheaper? I didn't know that at all.

Handling I believe. I come from a Eurovan and love the stance the Sprinter has. But I also had a E-250 conversion van for 5 years or so and traveled the country with it and didn't find it bad to drive. Mushy and sloppy, but comfortable.

But don't you worry a little about getting work done or finding parts in remote areas? That's probably my main concern.

And I'm looking used, so finding one I trust is an issue off the bat.

But I'm Hellbent on finding a Sprinter....
Mushy and sloppy pretty well covers it............and lane wonders..........caster mods can help the Ford chassis. The more weight the worse they get so my class C Ford would be different than a conversion.
My Sprinter is a Dodge so service is not too far but finding a good tech can be a concern. I have done all the maintenance work myself. Check engine light would be the only on road concern and if it happened most likely it can be driven.
EGR system is the most likely emmisons area that fails and is covered by 8 year 80000 mile warranty.
Sprinter wiring can be another area others have had few problems.
MB parts can get crazy expensive would be another negative but can be managed.
2010 and newer Sprinters have blue tec that adds another layer of complexity to the emmisons system.
3500 Sprinter chassis carries the weight better and of course allows more sq. ft. of living space. Then I was looking I only considered a class C with a slide, all class C are 3500 dually.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #3068
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,418
Diesel is pushing .70 cents more a gallon than gas around here. I'm rethinking our Jetta TDI, it's not the most useful vehicle for our
needs and doesn't get 40 mpg either.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #3069
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Diesel is pushing .70 cents more a gallon than gas around here. I'm rethinking our Jetta TDI, it's not the most useful vehicle for our
needs and doesn't get 40 mpg either.
you should post it in JoMomma. There is a TDI fest going on there.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #3070
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 642
My Two Cents

For what it is worth, I bought the 2007 (2006 Sprinter) MH because I wanted the in line 5 cyl. The "5" will burn anything, the new "6" has all the restrictions imposed by the government. Additionally, with over 60K miles I have had no problems. Been in
high winds ... just put in a little rudder control :) As for being on the small size in living space; no poroblems I travel mostly
by myself. Two onboard will get a bit tight. All metal - no glass; much more safe!
IBA #27356

www.khjphotography.com
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #3071
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 465
Well...just winterized the old Wanderlodge. Had another great year, about our 11th year with this '85 coach. This years best trip was up to Alexandria Bay area of Thousand Islands NY. Skipped towing the Jeep, towed the Boston Whaler Montauk and the DR200. About 56' LOA. Cruised the area and visited several waterfront towns...Clayton, Alex Bay, Thousand Island Park.

If we get some decent snow...we will take it for some skiing action on a weekend or school break.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #3072
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
For what it is worth, I bought the 2007 (2006 Sprinter) MH because I wanted the in line 5 cyl. The "5" will burn anything, the new "6" has all the restrictions imposed by the government. Additionally, with over 60K miles I have had no problems. Been in
high winds ... just put in a little rudder control :) As for being on the small size in living space; no poroblems I travel mostly
by myself. Two onboard will get a bit tight. All metal - no glass; much more safe!
Cool. I'm looking for an '04-'06 Sprinter for the reasons you mention. I'll take a cargo or a passenger as I will use it as an occasional driver around town, and as a weekender to take the dirt bikes over to the Nat'l Forest for weekends. Don't want a MH as I have my Casita I will pull with the Sprinter on longer trips.

Nice to hear diesel isn't as much more than gas as I thought. It was almost a buck more last time I looked here.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3073
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Apologies if this is 205:

I still wish he had english wheeled the top sheetmetal to give it a smooth radius. Esp. the front edge.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #3074
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
W

I've always loved the idea of a Wanderlodge but 40'+ and 44,000 pounds doesn't really fit with my use of an RV. However...... is yours one of the shorter ones? How does it handle? What driveline? Any more photos?

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3075
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Ah the magical MPG... It's just expensive to get that good of a gas mileage. The return on investment may not work out for casual outings.

How much are these going for versus the Ford E250/350 campers?
Well it is a business deduction. Nice to have Lord Obama pay for it!
IBA #27356

www.khjphotography.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: