User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 175 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #3106
03rubicon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Just bought a Coachman Mirada a couple of weeks ago now ( Thanks NWGS ) anyway all was working well until I changed the oil in the generator, now the generator won't start ( won't crank over ) WTF!! any thoughts?
03rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #3107
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,109
It likely has nothing to do with your oil change. Check connections. I had similar issues with my used Southwind at first.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #3108
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,736
Well, we went out to take a look at the one we wanted last week, and it seems that it might be something of a bait and switch thing. So we're going out to look at a 2003 Dutch star on Wednesday. Nicer coach anyway and it has an oven, which the wife has wanted, I'll get some pics up if we bring it home. Odd little quirky thing about it: The paint job is the same as our wedding colours........

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #3109
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubicon View Post
Just bought a Coachman Mirada a couple of weeks ago now ( Thanks NWGS ) anyway all was working well until I changed the oil in the generator, now the generator won't start ( won't crank over ) WTF!! any thoughts?

Generators almost always have low oil and overheat sensors. Some have low coolant sensors. Like the man said, check for a wire that got accidentally disconnected or - and here's a thought - that the crankcase is actually full of oil (never overlook the obvious, we all have stories there).

However, if it won't crank, you probably have

* weak battery
* broken battery cable (those are tough to troubleshoot because they come and go)
* loose ground
* broken or misidentified/hidden switch
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #3110
03rubicon
Adventurer

Thanks guys for your response. It amazes me how something can work good one minute and 5 minutes later not work. I checked the batteries ( 2 ) and they are fully charged, the wires/cable are clean and tight, oil level is good. I sure hope its just something simple.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #3111
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,736
Shit oh dear.....

We bought this today: http://www.guaranty.com/content/2003...utch-star-3803
We gave them a lower offer, and a list of a few things that we felt needed repair. We take possession on Saturday . WTFHID?

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #3112
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Thanks guys for your response. It amazes me how something can work good one minute and 5 minutes later not work. I checked the batteries ( 2 ) and they are fully charged, the wires/cable are clean and tight, oil level is good. I sure hope its just something simple.
Are you checking power to the genset because those sometimes have they're own batteries. I had once were the main engine would start but the gen wouldn'y even click, ended up putting the charger on the gen power lugs and started right up.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #3113
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
We gave them a lower offer, and a list of a few things that we felt needed repair. We take possession on Saturday . WTFHID?
Nice!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #3114
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Are you checking power to the genset because those sometimes have they're own batteries. I had once were the main engine would start but the gen wouldn'y even click, ended up putting the charger on the gen power lugs and started right up.
I was thinking the same thing. Check for adequate starting power at the generator when you try to crank it. I have seen confusion over which batteries (house or chassis?) start generators as well as cables with internally broken strands that get twisted and can be good one time that you test and dead or near dead the next time.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #3115
03rubicon
Adventurer

Ok, I don't know much about generators here so your saying I can put a charger right where the lines come into the generator? I get plenty of buzz but no cranking over at all, the oil level is good. The generator is a Onan Micro Quiet 4000 by the way.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #3116
03rubicon
Adventurer

Got it to work!!! Read online from a guy who runs a fleet of rental motor homes who has had this problem before. He said to remove the cover plate and on the left hand side reach in and give the fan blades a " real hard tug " as they for what ever reason get stuck sometimes. Mine were really tight and I really had to pull hard to free them up but when I did and hit the start button she fired right up. Just make sure no one hits the start button while your hand is in there. Thanks again guys for you replies, I hope some where down the line this info helps someone else out.

Frank
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #3117
PirateJohn
Banned

You did good!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #3118
TigerLilly
Rat Catcher

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
Gorgeous! Congratulations. I'm soooo jealous. Someday...

RR Big Bend NP - DEC 2010
RR TL Goes North: Canada June 2011
TigerLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #3119
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Ok, I don't know much about generators here so your saying I can put a charger right where the lines come into the generator? I get plenty of buzz but no cranking over at all, the oil level is good. The generator is a Onan Micro Quiet 4000 by the way.
Thats what i did, right on the cable lugs. i had the generator on 12v low and it started after chargeing for a few minutes. I would also with the fan deal look in there and make sure there isnt mice nests getting in the way.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #3120
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
So I'm about a year and a half from (fingers crossed) being in a position to take the family for a 6+ week road trip around the US. Plan A was to rent an RV. Then it was suggested that we could probably buy one, take the trip, sell it at the end of the summer, and end up with less out of pocket than a rental. That was briefly Plan B. Further contemplation made me realize that I'll most likely have the flexibility to take 3-4 weeks away every summer, plus the occasional spring break/winter break/thanksgiving break weeks away, and an RV would really be a great way to show the kids the country. So Plan C is to buy, and then keep. I have great memories of traveling around the US and Canada with my aunt and uncle in theirs back in the day, and I know my daughters would love it.

But I'm not exactly rolling in the dough if you know what I mean. Financing will be involved, with all the restrictions that entails regarding the age of the vehicle, etc. So is it unrealistic to think that I could get a solid, reliable rig that could sleep four for around the $20,000 mark? I'm not interested in a trailer, I definitely want the basic comforts like AC, and I'd rather have something on the smaller side just for the sake of being maneuverable. Suggestions as to what specifically I should be looking for? Am I dreaming?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: