Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 187 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #3211
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
If anyone has $750,000 they'd like to give me (in cash, non-reported) I'd really like to buy a brand new Newmar King Aire.

Just sayin'.

I might be able to come up with the $775 for this one. Love the older Braves like shown a bit earlier.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/3558001854.html
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #3212
Sundog
boon

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
IMHO: Might be a disaster waiting to happen.

Not a lot of weld on that reciever! I'd add some welded tabs inside and outside of the channel iron.
Channel iron I see 3 bolts (7/16 ?)... but looks like the channel is welded to more steel... (hopefully yes) ?
Picture does not show it well, but it is welded in multiple places. I would say the bolts you are looking at are actually just holding the bumper on to the receiver, they are not there to support the hitch in any way. There is a cross bar welded to the back of the frame that it is welded, and from the back of the truck chassis frame, a rectangular piece welded to the frame rail, coming out which the channel is welded to, then the receiver welded to the channel. Can't really see the welds in the picture. While it is not the finest in the world, I'm more concerned about the entire back of the frame (truck body extension) breaking off than the receiver :) Does not happen much, but I guess on the Classic Winnebago site there is a write up or two on some of the Eladin RVs of the rear breaking off with a big trailer. Those have much more overhang than Petunia though.

By the way, a good site for info on older RVs if you are interested. Not very active, but some good info, manuals to download, etc.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/for...d15a454acabcd&

Sundog screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 06:58 PM
Sundog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #3213
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,742
Crime and punishment

I have two concerns about a retirement community on the Texas border
1. Crime. I have a beat the fuck out of them and throw them across the border attitude, but with all the damage I've done to myself that's just about all it is anymore. Close to the border. Nope
2. Texas. Never left anything there I feel any real burning desire to go back and get. To fucking hot in the summer, and who the hell wants to punish themselves by retiring to someplace that has the extra added bonus of Hurricanes and Tornadoes?

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #3214
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
If anyone has $750,000 they'd like to give me (in cash, non-reported) I'd really like to buy a brand new Newmar King Aire.

Just sayin'.

I just bought a 03 Dutchstar hthey wanted 89k I got it for WAYYYYY less than that. 50 k on the engine. Runs and drives like a dream. Upgrading the Audio/Visual system as I write this. (Uploading programs to the new terabyte video library, and installing flat screens in the bedroom and living area)

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #3215
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
I have two concerns about a retirement community on the Texas border
1. Crime. I have a beat the fuck out of them and throw them across the border attitude, but with all the damage I've done to myself that's just about all it is anymore. Close to the border. Nope
2. Texas. Never left anything there I feel any real burning desire to go back and get. To fucking hot in the summer, and who the hell wants to punish themselves by retiring to someplace that has the extra added bonus of Hurricanes and Tornadoes?
If you want to beat the "hot"...in that region of Texas...go high. Consider Fort Davis/Alpine the high altitude makes it very nice.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #3216
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
If you want to beat the "hot"...in that region of Texas...go high. Consider Fort Davis/Alpine the high altitude makes it very nice.
I haven't been to Alpine yet but hopefully I will get there soon. But the Hill Country is like that - in the summer it can be 20 degrees cooler than the desert where I have been working only 100 miles or so away.

Does Alpine have a WalMart or any restaurants? That's the problem with many of the Hill Country towns that I know. Driving 45 miles to get to "civilization" starts getting old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #3217
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860

06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #3218
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
. Down here it's not the way that people in South Carolina think it is.

say WHAT?

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #3219
TigerLilly
Rat Catcher

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I haven't been to Alpine yet but hopefully I will get there soon. But the Hill Country is like that - in the summer it can be 20 degrees cooler than the desert where I have been working only 100 miles or so away.

Does Alpine have a WalMart or any restaurants? That's the problem with many of the Hill Country towns that I know. Driving 45 miles to get to "civilization" starts getting old.

Alpine is pretty small. No Wal Mart or other large stores. Just a decent grocery store and one of those old school True Value hardwares that stocks everything from guns to face cream. A few restaurants but not many. Nice town though. Fort Stockton is probably the nearest decent size city. Everyone here in Big Bend pretty much drives to Midland/Odessa for things like Costco or major medical stuff. You have to be pretty self sufficient down here which makes for some real interesting characters!

RR Big Bend NP - DEC 2010
RR TL Goes North: Canada June 2011
TigerLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #3220
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
Alpine is pretty small. No Wal Mart or other large stores. Just a decent grocery store and one of those old school True Value hardwares that stocks everything from guns to face cream. A few restaurants but not many. Nice town though. Fort Stockton is probably the nearest decent size city. Everyone here in Big Bend pretty much drives to Midland/Odessa for things like Costco or major medical stuff. You have to be pretty self sufficient down here which makes for some real interesting characters!
I have a cousin who was a Park Ranger in the big bend. His wife told me that a full grocery shopping trip was an overnighter.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #3221
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
My 72 Brave is just sitting out in the desert. Not sure what to do with it
Runs great, knee deep in tires, 90% original. Needs some love.

I may let it go cheap to an inmate

more pix

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #3222
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
I've heard that some RV campsites don't allow RV's older than a certain year to stay there. Is that true? Common? If so what's the cutoff? Doesn't make sense to me.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #3223
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Quite a few have a ten year cut off. Some of them make allowances for the condition of your rig........ But there are some limitations. A man's got to know his limitations.......

Da Bear screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 10:31 PM
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #3224
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
It would be worth it to someone. I am too far away, and don't need another project. Or I would snatch it up.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #3225
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I've heard that some RV campsites don't allow RV's older than a certain year to stay there. Is that true? Common? If so what's the cutoff? Doesn't make sense to me.
I had a 30 year old Bluebird Wanderlodge, admittedly a stately old RV that was restored and which defied the stereotypes. I was denied admittance once - on the phone, sight unseen - by a park's clerk at a place that I would have never seriously considered anyway.

Don't get too tense. Unless you have a really obviously falling apart meth lab on wheels still painted in school bus yellow and primer to hide the lettering most parks will let you in simply because business is slow these days and they need the $$$.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: