Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #3241
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
Yeah, that's me, lucky. Lucky to be alive. The only way I can afford this thing is because I fell from a truck while on the job, landing on my head. With the cash settlement from that, we bought this.
The sale of the house and SSDI will hopefully cover our living expenses.
I'm sitting here looking at 6 prescription bottles, some for pain, a couple for some of the other issues that have arisen from my brain bouncing around inside my skull.
But hey, I'm here, and my wife isn't going through the selling or donating of just about everything we own all alone. So yeah I'm lucky. It could be worse, I might have had to stop riding.
Oh Wait! I have had to. Ahhh well, I'll save a few thousand not buying an Overlift for the coach . I'd wish you luck, but you might end up with mine.......
Looking on the bright side ... ;)

Hang in there Amigo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #3242
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
I'd wish you luck, but you might end up with mine.......
No, no. I'm good. Thanks.

Here's to hoping things improve for your health.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #3243
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 713
Update; Furnace Repaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Voltage at furnace connector with engine off and not plugged into shore power is 10 volts, plugged into shore power it is 12 volts. Since almost any testing or diagnosis requires pulling the furnace, I've ordered a sail switch (odds are that is the problem) as well as a limit switch, when those arrive will pull furnace, check and replace switches, clean everything and re-install. Hopefully the next report will be with a working furnace. Thanks again for the tips and help!
Pulled the furnace, everything was dirty and crusty as expected;

The picture doesn't do justice to the amount of built up crud on the fan;

Tested the sail switch and sure enough it was bad (very intermittent continuity);

New switch on top, old one on bottom. You could feel the difference in the two switches, old one felt "crunchy" and only achieved continuity if held shut, new one was smooth and continuity was achieved at about 66% closeure of sail arm.

Just to be safe, went ahead and replaced limit switch (it's 27 years old);

Spent some time cleaning out all the nooks and crannys with compressed air and also gave the fan a good cleaning;

Reassembled and back in the hole;

Outside exhaust before and after;

Hooked everything up, turned on the gas, switched on the thermostat and everything worked as it should. After fan ran about 10 seconds, burner lit up and we had heat!

Performed a leak test with soapy water in a spray bottle and the compression fitting at gas shut off valve was leaking, took it apart and found a couple tiny burrs on the compression joint. Cleaned it all up, reassembled and still had a minor leak. Pulled it apart and will look for new parts today. Will reassemble and if it passes leak test will consider job completed.

Also decided it would be a good idea to install a gas alarm and the motor home had one in the spare parts, so began installation;

After getting it partially installed, hooked up power and ground and the alarm came on and stayed on. We even took it out to the battery and tried it direct, same result. Must be a bad alarm and may be why it was found in the spares. Will look for another one, any recommendations for a gas alarm (or a combo gas and smoke alarm) that will run primarily off of 12 volts?

Thanks again to all who chimed in with good solid advice.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #3244
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 541
Nice work on the furnace!

As an owner of an older MH also...I think it is critically important to enhance the OEM onboard systems for fire/smoke/co and gas detection. You don't want to bet your life on 20+ year old stuff. I leave the OEM stuff there...it still tests "ok"...but have added modern smoke/fire/co and gas detectors.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #3245
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Not mine, friend in the bay area showed me last night.

1957 Cadillac ambulance/camper

Interesting frankenstein.

only $1900...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3678934602.html

-----
One of a kind, Cadillac ambulance with El Dorado frame mounted camper that was installed by the El Dorado factory. Of interest to someone restoring old Cadillacs, lots of good parts, or perhaps someone might care to bring it back to life? Currently listing at $1900 or best offer. Has been non-op since 1997 sitting on side of home. I purchased this rig in 1965 and have owned it ever since, pro mechanic for many years and this rig was like a hobby as well as living in it. Currently does not run but nothing terminal on what was a low milage short block some years ago. Have records of maintenance performed over the years and I know the history of all that has been done. I know there is value in this rig so if you are serious contact me with any questions you may have and I can provide detailed answers. Need to sell to vacate driveway for new RV to be purchased in near future so I am serious about selling, contact me if you are as well, all offers considered.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #3246
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Would you consider renting it to an inmate for burning man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
My 72 Brave is just sitting out in the desert. Not sure what to do with it
Runs great, knee deep in tires, 90% original. Needs some love.

I may let it go cheap to an inmate

more pix
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #3247
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
When buying and owning an older motorhome you need to replace the gas and CO2 detectors, as those have only a 5-7 year life span. The "spare" you tried to hook up, might have a date code on the back.

I would suggest you also add mud dabber screens to the outlet flue and intake flue before you have them build nests in the nice clean rehabed unit. I have had nests in the furnace pipes, and the squirrel cage fan.

12 volt detectors are available at Camping World, any camping RV supply store, or on line at many places. Older coaches might have a system that the detector also powers the propane off/on valve switch near the tank. My valve was leaking, and I removed it. New building codes do not require the electric valve and the cost of a replacement has skyrocketed as the demand crashed. If you need a electric shut off, West Marine sell them for yacht use, where the tanks are on deck, but the stoves are down low inside. There you sure do not want to fill the boat with propane gas.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #3248
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
When buying and owning an older motorhome you need to replace the gas and CO2 detectors, as those have only a 5-7 year life span. The "spare" you tried to hook up, might have a date code on the back.

I would suggest you also add mud dabber screens to the outlet flue and intake flue before you have them build nests in the nice clean rehabed unit. I have had nests in the furnace pipes, and the squirrel cage fan.

12 volt detectors are available at Camping World, any camping RV supply store, or on line at many places. Older coaches might have a system that the detector also powers the propane off/on valve switch near the tank. My valve was leaking, and I removed it. New building codes do not require the electric valve and the cost of a replacement has skyrocketed as the demand crashed. If you need a electric shut off, West Marine sell them for yacht use, where the tanks are on deck, but the stoves are down low inside. There you sure do not want to fill the boat with propane gas.
Hear you loud and clear, I prefer to error on the side of safety!

At lunch time yesterday, went out to Ace hardware and bought new valve and fittings to replace the leaky stuff. Also found a little mom and pop RV shop near where I work that had a proper 12v propane detector;

Old valve and fittings removed;

New valve was physically larger, so had to make room with an extra nipple and coupler;

New valve installed, no leaks found with soapy water test.

Closeure panel installed, note newly drilled access hole to turn valve on and off. In the past you had to unscrew the panel if you needed to shut the valve off, kind of scary!

New propane detector;

Will need to find the little screens for the outside vents, that is a really good idea. Next projects are to rebuild carb, reinforce the rear ladder and install an old CB radio that my dad had in his semi.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #3249
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,413
Cool homebuilt RV

http://www.aol.com/video/the-rv-the-...ncid=webmail40

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #3250
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
That is a great link. More than just a home built, but a engineering marvel. His other videos I found, show a tour of the RV by his son, and there are a couple more as well worth looking for with a Google search.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #3251
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,799
Got the washer/Dryer combo out of the coach today, as well as the T.V. over the cockpit. The space that the T.V. used will be utilized as lightweight storage, or as a display case for some of our rare and autographed books. Right now, Stella, one of our black cats thinks it's a new bed, just for her.....
The space where the washer/dryer used to be is going to do double duty. The lower half as storage, the upper will be a negative air pressure space for the electric cat box, with a low speed silent fan pushing air out through the former dryer vent. It will also help keep the humidity down in the coach . We bought a universally pivoting mount for the 46 inch flat screen, it will mount on a small Oak bookshelf I am currently designing, which will itself be secured to the passenger side wall behind the seat. Things are designed to still allow the seat to recline, although the T.V. will eclipse the window a bit, when the set is stowed for travel.

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #3252
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
That is a great link. More than just a home built, but a engineering marvel. His other videos I found, show a tour of the RV by his son, and there are a couple more as well worth looking for with a Google search.

Here is a really well done write up of Shachagra by the builder.
What a great way to educate your children.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...rnational-7500
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #3253
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,699
Saw an Earth Roamer today parked at a Subway. I didn't realize they are 50-something miles from me. They're hiring, too!

I like their F650 chassis rig!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #3254
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,153
Never owned one (living in NYC it would be a parking/storage nightmare) but I have always loved them. Growing up my great aunt and uncle had motorhomes since the 40's and drove them everywhere. I know they went to Alaska before it was a state and then again after it was a state. After the passed away I was in their garage and came across an old pile of license plates (used to issue a new plate every year) and took a bunch of them.
I was cleaning my garage and came across some and thought this thread would enjoy the pics.

Sadly I do not have any pics of them and their motorhomes.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #3255
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Never owned one (living in NYC it would be a parking/storage nightmare) but I have always loved them. Growing up my great aunt and uncle had motorhomes since the 40's and drove them everywhere. I know they went to Alaska before it was a state and then again after it was a state. After the passed away I was in their garage and came across an old pile of license plates (used to issue a new plate every year) and took a bunch of them.
I was cleaning my garage and came across some and thought this thread would enjoy the pics.

Sadly I do not have any pics of them and their motorhomes.
I was just at the DMV the other day licensing my Smart and I asked them if you could re-register a plate that wasn't originally in your name like I did with the circa 1978 Utah plates I bought on ebay for my 911.

I was hoping to find an older silver/blue plate for my silver car. Oh well, NY no can do apparently. That worlds fair plate would really be something on a 64.

(If you're interested, being that it's family, they may do it for you.)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: