Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 243 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #3406
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Looks like I am putting a deposit down on a 34ft. Avion. (not mine, but same model)

Will tow it with this:

Both are in the category of "mature but sturdy, good candidates for cosmetic work."

The Avion was on eBay. Sold by a guy that has been dealing in Avions and Airstreams. Supposedly has brand new tires, etc., etc. He has 480 transactions and a 100% rating so I am paying a slight premium and hoping for the best.

Interior is a little retro. But I was looking for something that I could remodel anyway.

Short run I plan to add an extra two a/c units run off of a separate 50amp circuit so that I can have 3 a/c units running simultaneously (I am working in the desert in Texas and today am near the hottest town in the state). Probably going to take the couch out, definitely going to put in a hardwood floor. Want more kitchen counter space. It has twin beds and I'll probably come up with an arrangement to alternate between storage and one of the mattresses (don't need or want company when I am working). In an ideal world would like to have a large desk in the front of the trailer; there is a small folding desk now. I'll use it for awhile before I rip the existing desk out.

I want to get this thing geared up so that I can use it when I work in the oil patch, but hopefully I will take it to places where I want to hang and ride. Back to South Florida, Louisiana, and several places en Mexico are on my bucket list.

Longer run I'd like a modern interior in that retro shell. Leaning towards some black lacquer, a light wood floor, and some white walls.

Gotta get it here to see what can be done with the exterior but I've been joking that if I took it into Mexico I could have it economically polished until it hurt your eyes but there is some truth there.

Getting a bumper pull trailer was a bit of a last minute change to my plans. Everyone says that a 5th wheel handles better but the Airstreams and Avions are noted as being among the best to tow and the truck should be well overbuilt, so I am going with this approach.

The original plan had been to put some sort of "garage" behind the cab with a lift for a motorcycle. I need to retain the ability to pull a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer, but while using the Avion I should be able to carry a second or third bike, or something like a CanAm Spyder, in addition to the bike in the garage.

Something like this except the #1 bike would be inside an enclosed box:

After that some cosmetic work, patching rusty metal, etc.

I have an option on buying almost two complete parts trucks so I could build another Nissan UD if I wanted to.

That built in factory sleeper on the truck gives me some options too. I have been debating on putting an RV air condition unit into the roof, making some other changes to run off of RV-standard electrical hookups, and so forth to use it as sleeping space for short periods of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cool! Keep us informed of your progress
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #3407
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
Cool! Keep us informed of your progress
Thanks Dan!

Probably going to be 1-2 months before I have it delivered because I don't want to take a break from working.

I was thinking about doing some initial work when I am out here gate guarding but right now it's too hot for more than planning and this site is way, way too dusty.

That, and we usually get a break when hunting season starts in the fall. Not sure if I have a place to camp and work at the moment, though.

Supposedly everything works. I can pull the extra a/c units out of the old RV so I suspect that once I get it the thing's going back to the oil patch fast.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #3408
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,530
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/devel...rve-human-race

IN..

After most of the world's population is wiped off the map by a wayward meteorite or hail of nuclear missiles, the survival of the human race might just depend on a few thousand people huddled in recreational vehicles deep in the bowels of an eastern Kansas mine.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #3409
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post

IN..

After most of the world's population is wiped off the map by a wayward meteorite or hail of nuclear missiles, the survival of the human race might just depend on a few thousand people huddled in recreational vehicles deep in the bowels of an eastern Kansas mine.
If you can afford it & get there in time.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #3410
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post

IN..

I see a few problems with this:

1. "I've heard people say, 'I will just show up at the door,'" he said. "Our response is, 'great, where is the door?' At our secret shelters, you don't know where to go, and your cash will be worthless at that time."

OK, great. You buy in. What's to say he won't keep your money, and lock you out?

2. How much notice are you really going to have in case of a nuclear war? Maybe an hour? Provided you do live through the attack, and have enough fuel to make it there, what are the chances they'll let you and your irradiated RV through the door?

3. What's his water supply? Ground water? I can see irradiated rain water contaminating the aquifer within a month.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #3411
PirateJohn
Banned

Let me get this straight ... You are going to put hundreds of RV's underground?

Even without running the obvious - like diesel generators or engines - won't the gases from heating and cooking eventually overwhelm everyone?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #3412
PirateJohn
Banned

I don't know about Kansas, but they joke around here in the Texas desert that this would be a good place to be when the World ends, and that's because news travels so slowly out here it would be 2 weeks before anyone even knew.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #3413
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,530
Quote:
Let me get this straight ... You are going to put hundreds of RV's underground?

Even without running the obvious - like diesel generators or engines - won't the gases from heating and cooking eventually overwhelm everyone?

Oh that..

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #3414
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,763
Feck. Cracked a couple of lenses on the tail end of the coach because the wife did not want to get out and let me know my clearances as i backed up. Cost? $89.00 EACH

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #3415
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Another way of looking at that is, "you did not get out, and guide her back". But be glad you can find new taillights. My older coach, used a foreign taillight assemble of a car made only a couple of years. I looked for almost 2 years for spare parts.

Two weeks ago, I passed my new driver's license driving test for the new heavier coach without a problem. Including the parallel parking. Then I backed into the wall frame in the warehouse trying to parallel parked inside the building. This new coach needs an upgraded camera and display like the old coach had. I could back to within inches with the old system. Going to cost me one ladder part, damn!

On the old coach we had really nice stainless steel bumpers to protect it from damage. The new coach is exposed fiberglass and a thin wall ladder tubing. I have added floor stops, to keep me out of trouble in the future.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #3416
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,434
In the parking lot last night...

If yer traveling to the Jimmy Buffett concert this is the only way to travel.

Recreational drug Vehicle?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #3417
PirateJohn
Banned

Interesting! Where did you see that at?

I took the Wanderlodge to Buffett shows in Tallahassee and Tampa. Great times at both events.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #3418
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,434
Quote:
Interesting! Where did you see that at?

I took the Wanderlodge to Buffett shows in Tallahassee and Tampa. Great times at both events.

Mansfield, Mass. A day early. Jimmy plays tonight. Fleetwood and the other guy played last night. I went to see Stevie Nicks.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #3419
PirateJohn
Banned

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #3420
wilfred
juvenile delinquent

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Mansfield, Mass. A day early. Jimmy plays tonight. Fleetwood and the other guy played last night. I went to see Stevie Nicks.

How are her thighs looking?

semper-fi
wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: