User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 220 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #46
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Here's my 1978 Boler 13' trailer - just over 900 lbs - bought it off Ebay for around $2K

Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #47
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1
Here's my 1978 Boler 13' trailer - just over 900 lbs - bought it off Ebay for around $2K
Nice Defender.
Mr Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #48
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
I want one of these soooo bad,

craiglist this morning.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/1181425057.html

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #49
Mediocrates
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
[quote=scorpion]Me too
1972 Brave w/ mighty mighty dodge 318

That thing is the V-Strom of motorhomes. At least in the ugly category.

Have you checked out www. Sportsmobile.com talk about 4wd ADV rigs. Yeah baby.

The wife and I have the Sportsmobile in our plans for the future.
Mediocrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #50
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrates

Everytime I see one of those going down the road in the summer the person driving it looks miserable. They look hot because you couldn't afford to run A/C or maybe they don't have them, they look like they have the gas pedal mashed to the floor and going about 54 mph and they are usually a little loud. They just look too slow and cumbersome for my taste.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #51
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Everytime I see one of those going down the road in the summer the person driving it looks miserable. They look hot because you couldn't afford to run A/C or maybe they don't have them, they look like they have the gas pedal mashed to the floor and going about 54 mph and they are usually a little loud. They just look too slow and cumbersome for my taste.

Just a larger luxury version of this..

The List
Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #52
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs

Just a larger luxury version of this..

Good point. I'd shoulder everything I just mentioned to have one of those, hot, slow...

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #53
nwgs OP
solarfied

Here is another thing that makes me just drool.

http://www.alaskancamper.com/

These things have a cult following and all have a wood interior that is beautiful. To find one for $150 bucks is a steal. They hold their value and a good old one goes for over 2k.
New units go for over 25 thousand bucks.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/1181320788.html

The List
Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #54
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
I never understood that. Sure, dash air in a coach is useless. I took mine off. But as soon as it gets warm, my gen set gets fired and the roof air keeps the interior nice and cool on the hottest days.

My co-driver approves.

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #55
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Yay! Another RV thread!

One of the couples I follow lives in a Travel Trailer by Oliver full-time. They are there getting some work done on the custom trailer right now (Oliver let them stay in their 40 acre factory last night since they live in the thing).

When PirateJohn sees those Wanderlodges, he'll be in here too. That's what he lives in.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #56
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
Yay! Another RV thread!

One of the couples I follow lives in a Travel Trailer by Oliver full-time. They are there getting some work done on the custom trailer right now (Oliver let them stay in their 40 acre factory last night since they live in the thing).

When PirateJohn sees those Wanderlodges, he'll be in here too. That's what he lives in.
I bought a new Lance camper in 98. For jeep'n and motorcycle riding with kids it worked well. We payed around 12k for it and even lived in it for 5 mo's during a stretch we used the holy shit out of it.

We sold in in 05 for 7k. Not bad for 7 years of enjoyment. Funny thing is you cannot find one of equal value today for under 7k.
It is still worth what we sold it for 4 years ago.

Campers and motorhomes interest me because although I love looking at trailers you cant pull anything in Washington behind them.
Tent trailers are completely useless and I just don't fancy 5th wheels. Although we have friends that haul their Race Jeeps in them and like them fine.
Just not a good use of space for me. But having a separatable pull rig would be nice every once in a while.

I also like these.

I've seen several in the $1500 to $2500 range, the damn things really hold their value. A new one goes from 12k to 16k.

The List
Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #57
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,308
RV's. I am getting mine back from the shop today. Had broken exhaust manifold studs. The stock manifolds warp and then snap them. A pattern failure on the 460. I installed re-manufactured heads and new Thorley headers. Did a few other things: AC, power steering pump, trans service.

Will be good to go, now just pray gas prices stay low.

Here is a picture form a few years back....

Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #58
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
RV's. I am getting mine back from the shop today. Had broken exhaust manifold studs. The stock manifolds warp and then snap them. A pattern failure on the 460. I installed re-manufactured heads and new Thorley headers. Did a few other things: AC, power steering pump, trans service.

Will be good to go, now just pray gas prices stay low.

Here is a picture form a few years back....

I don't know a whole lot about the class C's. I've never driven one.
From what I hear they drive awesome. My wife has driven her girlfriends and says she felt very comfortable behind the wheel.
I don't like the fact that the cockpit space cannot be used as living space like the class A's. The ability to just turn around the drivers seat and the passenger seat to make them part of the living room.

What are your thoughts on drive ability and the cockpit space?

The List
Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #59
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs
I don't know a whole lot about the class C's. I've never driven one.
From what I hear they drive awesome. My wife has driven her girlfriends and says she felt very comfortable behind the wheel.
I don't like the fact that the cockpit space cannot be used as living space like the class A's. The ability to just turn around the drivers seat and the passenger seat to make them part of the living room.

What are your thoughts on drive ability and the cockpit space?
We use the "Cab/Cockpit" as living space when it's parked. The passenger seat swivels around facing into the living area and becomes a functional seat for lounging. The driver seat swivels and faces the passenger seat. It can't go all the way around like the passenger seat because of the steering wheel. So it's usable but with limits.

The reason this works is because we do NOT have basement storage. Basements mean You have a RAISED floor (on class C's) compared to the cab. When you have raised floors on a C you can't swivel the chairs into the living are.

Mind you we also have no slide. So the cab does offer a little expanded area.

Regards to how they drive? Excellent. Better than many class A's. I would like a better rig but mine is paid for. I like the big picture window of the A's. But the C's sleep more and have the big over Cab bed..That is why we got it. KIDS.....

Since I just dropped a few K into mine it should be good to go for years to come...

svs screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 10:42 AM
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #60
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
We borrowed a Class C GMC unit from my wife's cousin, about 20 something feet to go to West Virginia. Haven't returned it yet. When I picked it up, I asked "when do you want us to return it?" His exact words, and read this in a heavy scottish accent "Never. I do not want it back. We never use it. Buy it. Don't bring it back". Ha ha ha!
We really enjoyed it, especially since it rained almost the entire trip. Being able to sleep anywhere we can park is pretty fantastic. Dog, daughter, wife and me. Can't do that in the VW Golf.
He wants about $4000 for it, and it has a lot of troubles, but it runs well enough. I am considering it. I might need to live in it one of these days.
Nobody has shown me how to take care of it, so I haven't tried using the shower, toilet, etc. We did hook it up to city water at a campground once, and washed a few dishes, but since the greywater tank leaks, I am pretty sure it's emptied itself by now.
What I hate the most is the seats. BY GOD, the seats are terrible. Ugly to the point of insult, they are also really uncomfortable. Following right behind them, literally and figuratively are the couch/bed the two dining table chairs and that godawful bed thing above the cockpit. If I buy this thing, those two front seats are the first to go. Leather seats from the scrapyard will be just right there. Criminy they are terrible. I can drive our golf across the state in one shot without budging an inch, but these seats, I can only stand half an hour at a time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: