DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Now you are catching on.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #107
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
Is this for real? Why didn't you just fucking cap him? He could have killed you and there is no way on God's Green Earth that you could have E&Eed him on that KLR!

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #108
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster
Is this for real? Why didn't you just fucking cap him? He could have killed you and there is no way on God's Green Earth that you could have E&Eed him on that KLR!
Such a stellar example of rational thought.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #109
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Such a stellar example of rational thought.
"in fear for my life or grave bodily harm"........

Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #110
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster
"in fear for my life or grave bodily harm"........
"I show him the same sticker on my bike and explain what it means. At this point the guy busts out laughing, apologizes to me for riding my ass."

A little better ending that "Just fucking cap him" don't you think?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #111
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,037
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #112
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
"I show him the same sticker on my bike and explain what it means. At this point the guy busts out laughing, apologizes to me for riding my ass."

A little better ending that "Just fucking cap him" don't you think?

Eventually he was able to defuse the situation and I'm not at all surprised. Up until that point he was in grave danger (is there any other kind?). Of course, we are talking about a thread about flipping people off to show them how much you like them. It seems to me you might be wound a little to tight for a dude with "69" as an avatar. Tounge in cheek (at least partly) bro.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #113
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Had a good one yesterday, I'm at a light in Brooklyn on the W650, guy in a truck rolls up and compliments me on the bike, we chat for a bit and he rolls up the window. Right as the light turns green he rolls down the window and says "hey I just saw your sticker" and with a big grin gives me the bird

I don't have ADV stickers on the W650 but do have a FYYFF sticker on the back of my helmet so I guess it's safe to assume the guy's an inmate if he recognized that.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #114
smile-maker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I don't wave. I only salute when I actually know the rider. Saluting is a sign of respect, and why the fuck should I respect someone I don't even know? What if I salute someone on a GS with an ADV and FYYFF sticker, and, in real life, they also own a harley? Or wear a suit when they work?

I don't wave, I rarely salute, and, except for rare occasions, I ride solo. But that's just me. The rest of you FFs can do whatever you want.

But I do get saluted regulary- usually by cagers pissed because I'm riding like a hooligan. I don't salute back. If they're lucky, I look them in the eye, smile, and pull a wheelie.
Waving is just part of being civil -- something distinctly lacking in our flagging society.

The "salute" should be amongst friends in a familiar setting: an ADV event for example. In general public, the "salute" is an uncontrolled hostility. Perhaps not from your pov, but from nearly any other perspective that might see it, children, etc.

The sticker is just a way to say hello to a fellow ADV person, and to promote the site.

BTW, if you're riding "like a hooligan" (translation: jackass), then don't be surprised when laws are passed against motorcycling in general. If you don't regulate yourself, others will do it for you.
smile-maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #115
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,433
Have an ADV sticker on the back window of My pickup. Once in a while i will get a salute. Or if I see a Sticker on a bike and can get in front of em i will point my finger at the sticker and say Hello via the salute. never had a problem with it. Was rollin up I 70 in 08 and passed a member with his bike and a fully loaded Pickup pulled alongside and Saluted. He Laughed and returned it. Its all in how ya do It I think. Always makes me grin to have some one say hello that way.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #116
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltbox
So I have been enjoying giving and receiving the ADV salute, lots of fun. Last night I'm crusing down the highway when I see a white ford explorer ahead and low and behold it has a FYYFF sticker on the rear window, yeah its fun time. Of course I speed up and manuever over to the right lane, pace the vehicle so that I am right next to the driver. A little toot on the horn to get his attention, and then give him the salute. WOW, wrong reaction, this guy is pissed. He immediatly slows down and gets right behind me. Now he's close, not to close but he's beeping his horn and saluting me over and over. Fine, I move over to the slow lane and get ready for my exit. This guy does the same thing, and gets off at the same exit as me. He follows me for about a mile and then starts flashing his lights like he wants to pass, so I move over to the side of the road, so does he. WTF? So I stop, so does he. He gets out of his vehicle and walks up to me,with a brisk pace. I got off my bike and moved so that the bike was between me and him. Did I metion that this guy is HUGE. His fists look like canned hams.
He proceeds to rant and rave about fucking motorcycles, and why did I flip him off, calls me a fuckin smartass that needs to be taught a lesson. I try to defuse the situation and ask him what kind of bike he rides, from his looks I 'm guessing a Harley. He responds with I would never own one of those fucking death traps. So I ask him why he has the sticker on it, as I point it out. He is like WTF does that mean? I show him the same sticker on my bike and explain what it means. At this point the guy busts out laughing, apologizes to me for riding my ass. He says that it is actually his wife's car and I've just explained why motorcyclists keep saluting his wife. Seems the guys wife actually complained to him that for no reason motorcycles where flipping her the bird. He had just assumed that his wife was a crappy driver and probably had done something to deserve it.

So if you sell your ride, take the stickers off. Some people may not be as understanding.

That's funny as hell... a little.

I was at the Pikes Peak race this year, and there were some inmates that were going to meet up.

I see this HUGE harley looking type dude next to a very nicely farkled 1200 GS - with ADV sticker.

I walk up, flip him off, and he's like, "yeah, I get that a lot.... what does that mean"? HAHAH. VERY cool dude. Retired at 50 from building custom choppers. Totally sold on not doing big miles on HDs any more.

We bullshitted for about 20 minutes. Nice dude.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #117
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile-maker
Waving is just part of being civil -- something distinctly lacking in our flagging society.

The "salute" should be amongst friends in a familiar setting: an ADV event for example. In general public, the "salute" is an uncontrolled hostility. Perhaps not from your pov, but from nearly any other perspective that might see it, children, etc.
I was riding my Uly through Sultan WA today and I saw parked in a lot a BMW with an ADV sticker on the back and a guy standing next to it with his helmet off. I beeped my tiny Uly horn and he looked up and waved. I gave him the bird, and he busted out laughing as I went by. If I offended some children I don't really give a shit.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #118
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I always give the salute to other riders of Adventure bikes. I am quite sure some of them are thinking "WFT was that for", but I always appreciate it when I get the salute!

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #119
misterjack
Universal

Oddometer: 51
haha so great
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #120
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Yeah, it's nice to belong to a group - and ADV is a great group to belong to. Recognizing other members and sharing something in common with them is also great. The so called ADV salute is just fucking retarded, however. This story is just another example of how we in the motorcycling community are our own worst enemies.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote