No 32 16.49%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #16
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
They aren't here in great numbers, so the question is, if we build it, will they come?

I don't think so. Advrider is a bit progressive for most Airheads. They hang out in musty corners of the internet where the blinding speed of a 56k modem can still make people dizzy.

Then again, it's hard to see how a self-respecting site that calls itself Adventure Rider can not have a dedicated airhead forum since that's been the ride of choice for so many hard-core Adventure Riders over the years.

Still, in a modern era, why should we have a forum dedicated to an aging group of bikes when they can comfortably participate in the forums we already have?
Rider said you were a jackass You/they have a forum for KTM for christ sakes. I'm betting there are more airheads than ktms

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #17
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 61,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Rider said you were a jackass You/they have a forum for KTM for christ sakes. I'm betting there are more airheads than ktms
KTMs are up-and-coming while Airheads are...well, hey, maybe we should have a forum for vintage bikes!
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Flash
Sand Boxer

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
What about "Blood, Sweat and Gears", "Equipment" and "The Perfect Line?"
All forums, within which, one could participate comfortably. GS's KTM"s, thumpers. And yet, we have seperate forums for each of them. Why is that?

Obviously because there's enough interest and "critical mass" to warrant an exclusive forum.

I have no doubt that the majority of the airheads here are GS's. But given this site's overwhelming oilhead skew, any airhead GS thread carried in GSpot would disappear quickly. Excluding Jo Momma, GSpot is the busiest forum.

Forgive my niavete, but is it difficult to establish a new forum within the site? Should it fail to generate the desires traffic afte, say, 60 days, is it that difficult to pull the plug?

Give us our own corner in ADVrider. We'll cleanup after the others forums. At 40-50 horsepower, we'll be runnig sweep anyways.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:36 PM   #19
Flash
Sand Boxer

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
KTMs are up-and-coming while Airheads are...well, hey, maybe we should have a forum for vintage bikes!
Or even vintage moderators?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #20
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I guess the hardest thing is trying to figure out how much interest will lead to a "Critical Mass" as you call it.

If you look at the Forum titled "Racing" for example, Does 82 threads with 969 posts define overwhelming popularity or should we close that down due to lack of interest.

I guess its all relative isnt it, We have people putting there hand up to be a Mod here & so far an 80% yes vote on the poll. All you need to do is think outside the square & give some more of us a place to share.

Come on you can do it

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

F650GS Dakar in Australia
a_k_nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #21
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A little bump to keep this active

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:16 AM   #22
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k_nicholls
I guess the hardest thing is trying to figure out how much interest will lead to a "Critical Mass" as you call it.

If you look at the Forum titled "Racing" for example, Does 82 threads with 969 posts define overwhelming popularity or should we close that down due to lack of interest.

I guess its all relative isnt it, We have people putting there hand up to be a Mod here & so far an 80% yes vote on the poll. All you need to do is think outside the square & give some more of us a place to share.

Come on you can do it
Critical mass has more to do with longevity than number of posts per se... By that I mean will new threads and posts be added on a regular basis... In other words is there enough material and people to keep the forum from stagnating...

Yes 80% who have voted want the forum opened but the total count of votes is still fairly small, which tends to reflect on the 'critical mass'.

As for a mod... In the original thread I agreed to act as mod for this forum if it does come to be, but that is up to Baldy...

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 AM   #23
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
Critical mass has more to do with longevity than number of posts per se... By that I mean will new threads and posts be added on a regular basis... In other words is there enough material and people to keep the forum from stagnating...
Hey JJ,
Fair point regarding the "Critical Mass" Thats always going to be a problem. The biggest problem I can see regarding this is that posts regarding Airhead specific topics get swalled up really quickly in the other forums. I know as you say that the amount of people voting yes is low, But its still 50 people who at a minimum will hopefully be active there. Probably more as there are a lot of people out there using other resorces away from this site for info.

To me anyway to get more people active around here has to be a good thing hey.

As for the Mod thing, Dave the Mutineer also put his hand up to help too, But hey as you say its Baldys call when all is said & done.

Words of wisdom

a_k_nicholls screwed with this post 07-14-2004 at 03:05 AM Reason: Spelling
Old 07-14-2004, 03:15 AM   #24
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Vintage bikes might be a better alternative....and I don't see how that would hurt the Airhead crowd.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:04 AM   #25
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
I'm all for an Airhead forum even though I no longer own one. I do however work on my g/f's R80GS Paralever.

So what if it's not a hugely busy forum to start with, the fact is that with intelligent & knowlegable posts, it could (will ) become busier & draw more people to this excellent site.
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #26
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 562
I do own an airhead (actually two if I count the wife's r45) and oilhead. Different beast altogether and did vote yes for AIRHEADS!!!!

How am I suppose to get some good technical feedback from the GSPOT section on a rebuilt like this.....??

Lots of work on this baby, who said you can't buy a "bargain" on ebay - £191 that heap of shite cost me!

AIRHEAD SECTION PLEASE!!!

Old 07-14-2004, 05:59 AM   #27
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,180
parts bike.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #28
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
An R69S will make you smile.

HEY! Where's your seat? Suck it up on that last curvy stretch?
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:22 AM   #29
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
parts bike.
Well that is the alternative if I take the heads off and the valves is stuffed. Will probably get more for it as parts than I paid for. But hey not all of us have exciting stuff to do so we resort to "rebuilds", does this one suck then as well
Old 07-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #30
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
But hey not all of us have exciting stuff to do so we resort to "rebuilds", does this one suck then as well
Hey Mav,

Think of it more as an Adventure rebuilding that R45 & if you get the satisfaction from doing it then hey that doesnt suck does it

But hey thats what its all about isnt it, Taking something old & making it new again so to speak. So it really doesnt matter if its called Airheads or Vintage its the spirit of the forum that counts hey

Words of wisdom