Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO
They just came out! like a month or two.
In the US. They've been selling them elsewhere for decades.
Tinfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
How long HAVE they been making the Sym wowow...(not the honda cub)?

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
SpannerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
http://scootinoldskool.wordpress.com...le-on-a-symba/
Pretty decent review that I've run into today.
SpannerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,054
[-having the rear drive chain enclosed is really keeping the chain clean and operating with out problems though it 's probably going to add a liitle agravation when it comes tim to change out the rear tire--- ]

On my Passport it's possible to fiddle the rear wheel off without removing the cover. There is a 2" =/- spacer between the wheel and the frame on the right side of the bike. Pull the axle, remove spacer and you can slide the wheel to the right to clear the brake drum. The Symba might just be similar.

Can't wait to hear more about the bike, preferably bad stuff. I'm really trying to talk myself out of ordering one.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
uraldog OP
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
bad stuff--lets see , sit sucks- wrong foam used in construction--gas fill neck is not designed for filling at high speed gas nozzles [ gas can with flex spout or funnel required ] and you don't spend much time at the station like you do with your car , you may experience withdraw symptoms from fewer trips to get gas riding it becomes addictive thats it so far
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #21
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Heres a link to see the new SYM rear rack for the Symba.
http://www.scooter-news.com/index.ph...racks-from-sym

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #22
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit
[-having the rear drive chain enclosed is really keeping the chain clean and operating with out problems though it 's probably going to add a liitle agravation when it comes tim to change out the rear tire--- ]

On my Passport it's possible to fiddle the rear wheel off without removing the cover. There is a 2" =/- spacer between the wheel and the frame on the right side of the bike. Pull the axle, remove spacer and you can slide the wheel to the right to clear the brake drum. The Symba might just be similar.

Can't wait to hear more about the bike, preferably bad stuff. I'm really trying to talk myself out of ordering one.
Changing a tire or fixing a flat is a doddle with this rear wheel setup. It'
s like any small Japanese bike from the 60's or 70's. My '68 YG-5 is no different.

The other advantage is that these are "17 X "2.50 inner tube tires, which you can easily remove from the wheels with tire levers and some practice. If you can do a bicycle tire you can easily do a Symba tire. I'd keep a pair of cheap 10" "crescent" adjustable wrenches on my tool bag as the handle make good tire levers.

The wheel comes out from the trailing arms of the swingarm, after you loosen the small axle nut, and pull the axle shaft out. The chain and chaincase stay put and in adjustment. The wheel engages a circular notched rubber device in it's hub with 4 matching rectangular pegs on the output side of the sprocket carrier.

The only thing you have to do is practice a bit on the task, because it's always a bit of a tight fit and you have to loosen and remove the brake shoe backplate and axle spacer.

The owners manual should have instructions, but knowing SYM's owner manuals, it's probably a bit Engrished.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
I am little late here, but the pod cast referenced earlier in this thread is by David Harrington and I have listened to most of his podcasts and while a little sales-y at times, the podcasts have good information and his guests are usually quite honest in their assessments of scoots. You can get the podcasts at iTunes in addition to his site and the talk shoe site.

As for SYM, they are a lot like KYMCO and a the leading producers in the Taiwan scoot market. I read that Kymco has produced over 6 million scooters in thier history and SYM is right behind them in market share and longeveity. I just stumbled accross a news release at Kymco AU that they are the the number 4 brand in Australia Link

According to one of the articles, over 60 MILLION Cubs/Passports were produced--by SYM-- for Honda. This model is not the same machine though. It has a new engine and better front suspension. As for accessories, SYM is importing them today and they should be in country within a month. I don't have one nor have I seen one (can't be sold IN CA until after CARB certification this summer) but I am interested in seeing one. It could be a good fit if my wife decides she wants to scoot with me.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
Wambo
On the road to nowhere

Oddometer: 276
For those of us who were first introduced to the Honda brand as motorcycles, this was what we remember most. I've been hoping Honda would re-introduce it due the increase awareness of scooters. The fact that SYM makes the Symba is even better. I love my HD200 and would love to add something like this (nostalgia and fun).

What I don't get is the fact that SYM has been here for a while, yet most knowledge is passed on by word of mouth. Carter Brothers have done basically nothing to promote this brand! Do you see any ads or commercials? I never have. I first learned about them HERE. They could own the US market if they would be more aggresive in advertisement, and it's almost like they don't want to promote it. Are they afraid of making money?? This is no new, unestablished company, and my dealer in Portland has probably 15 or more Symbas and haven't even been sold ONE. They are a small business and can't afford to put much into advertising, especially with the current economy. The fact is that many of us could benefit from these products more so now that things are tight. Many just don't know who or what they are.

I would like to see SYM be involved directly with the US market, rather than using Carter Brothers exclusively. I think they could make the same impact that Honda did back in the '60's.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just afraid without more support of some kind from Carter Brothers, I may loose this dealer who has been here awhile. It is similar to Moto Guzzi's US support from Piaggio USA, but at least some of you have heard of a Moto Guzzi. SYM is virtually unknown overall.

Shame....

2011 Triumph Bonneville SE

Wambo screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 05:08 PM
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #25
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambo
...yet most knowledge is passed on by word of mouth. Carter Brothers have done basically nothing to promote this brand! Do you see any ads or commercials? I never have. I first learned about them HERE...The fact is that many of us could benefit from these products more so now that things are tight. Many just know who or what they are...Sorry for the rant. I'm just afraid without more support of some kind from Carter Brothers, I may loose this dealer who has been here awhile. It is similar to Moto Guzzi's US support from Piaggio USA, but at least some of you have heard of a Moto Guzzi. SYM is virtually unknown overall.

Shame....
Yep, marketing is pretty much word of mouth or web based with a little print here and there mostly in very focused magazines. But that's the case for almost any scooter. Most truly-new-to-scooter scooter buyers have no idea where to start unless they already wandered into a sort of familiar Honda or Yamaha dealer and saw scooters next to the motorcycles, ATVs and jet skis. Sad really, since its one reason people buy random junky Chinese scooters at Pep Boys when higher quality is available for a similar price elsewhere.

Were the cool Honda scooter ads from the '80's (starring Lou Reed, Grace Jones, DEVO, Miles Davis and Jim McMahon) the last TV ads for scooters made by anybody in the US?
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #26
uraldog OP
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
after some searching on the net and reading about Sym then finding Carters site to find a dealer and then contacting a few dealers [ some of which didn't even know what we were talking about,they don't know what they're selling" well we haven't heard about that model" ] we traveled out of state to buy one after locating a dealer who had one -- and so far I'm NOT impressed with the way that dealer is handling a few issues . but the bike is great , guess scooter dealers are like the rest of the New breed of dealers --take the money and run If anyone from Carter is monitering this site --Were's the rear rack we were Promised

some body keep this thread goin-- we're goin out Uralin for a awhile, thanks
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #27
McFlyMpls
Gumby...don't ask...

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO
They just came out! like a month or two.
I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that the Symba and Honda Cubs/SuperCubs/Passports are more or less the same bike, made by the same manufacturer. When the Cub first came out in 1958, it was made entirely by Honda. Honda made them for a few years and then contracted first the engines (SYM's slogan , 'Engine Of Life' comes from this partnership), and then nearly the entire bike, to be made by SYM. So SYM has been making Honda underbones motorcycles since about the mid 60's.

The Symba is no knock-off Cub. Its the same exact tooling that's been used for Honda, just 'branded' in different ways. SYM is quality stuff, and everyone agrees that the Honda Cub engines are bulletproof and bombproof; hell, the cub is the most sold combustion engine-powered vehicle in history (60 million units sold). The Symba gives you updated 12 volt electrics and gauges, actual working suspension, a smoother, more powerful engine, 4 speed instead of a rotary-style 3 speed tranny, and from what I've heard the drum brakes actually work... really good!
McFlyMpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,842
Honda Supercubs sold in the USA since the beginning have never had a "rotary" style shift pattren. I've got a '64 with an earlier engine and it's 1 up 2 down, with stops at both ends.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #29
McFlyMpls
Gumby...don't ask...

Oddometer: 39
Here's some linkage to good info/entertainment concerning the Symba:

Ryan Carden's review (and he doesn't 'give away' good reviews)

Discussion at Modervespa.com about the Symba

Discovery Channel's "greatest motorcycle ever"

...and...a bunch of Englishmen dressed as superheroes ride Cub C90s through the Spanish/French Pyrenees

Ryan Carden (known for being somewhat fickle when it comes to bike/scooter reviews, especially new ones) from Scooter-News.com compares the Honda Cub to the SYM Symba
McFlyMpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #30
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
This is a bit interesting. We ordered our Symba two weeks ago last Friday. Last Thursday(13days later) we called and the dealer and he said it was in but the papers for it weren't in yet. He said the papers don't arrive with the bike and that they will come in the mail separately?? Well a call too him today and now 6 days after the Symba arrived and no papers. We cant pick up the bike. Ive never heard of such a thing. Ive purchased several new bikes over the years and never have I run into this problem. Anyone else here run into that one?

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super

Bugtussle screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 05:06 AM
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote