Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
ROKSTAR OP
Whoring it up

Oddometer: 360
New to sidecars; NEED HELP MAKING GRANDPA'S DREAMS COME TRUE!

hello all!

I bought a Ural tub last night to complete for next season. My grandfather is nearly 89 and can't ride anymore. He gave up riding May 3, 2012 when he was in a severe crash on his bike that nearly killed him. A week later on May 10. 2014 my grandmother died. It was a really rough for him and me.

I want him and I do go on a few more adventures before he goes to meet Grandma at the pearly gates. He got me involved in motorcycles, raised me, and has always backed me in whatever I've done. He's my rock and mentor. I think I owe it to him to give him a bit more than he's given me in my nearly 35 years. If I can take him to lunch a few more times, one more fishing trip, or one more ride in the country, all this work will be worth it.

I picked up this old Ural sidecar for $200. Is a tub and bare frame. I need EVERYTHING!

-fender
-lights
-seat
-trunk lid/hardware
-mounting bushings/hardware
-wheel
-axle
-brake

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Any help, parts, or deals are greatly appreciated. I'm trying to build this on a shoe-string budget. The economy hasn't been kind to anyone in the automotive sector. I'm just now getting back on my feet.

Thanks folks!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Cant comment on every one, but to save some money....

-fender - if you cant find a ural specific one, go generic, but ebay will likely have osmething

-lights - same here - go to an auto parts store or MC store and just get some generic lights and tap into your bikes wiring to wire it up

-seat - you can make a wood frame (base and back) and then have some cushions made. I have also seen some people use tractor seats from a farm and fleet type place (a little redneck, but it works)

-trunk lid/hardware
-mounting bushings/hardware
-wheel
-axle
-brake - not needed - never felt the need on any of my 3 rigs
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
What bike are you going to be running? If it is your Buell you might want to rethink this, The Buell is not an easy bike to mount to and as far as I know no bike specific mounting kits are made for it.
We make mounts for a few hundred different bikes as well as offer bits and pieces for making your own mounts.
Most things it will not matter but you do want to make sure it is a Ural and not a Dnepr or CJ sidecar. The Ural has a trunk that opens from the out side, The Dnepr you tip the seat back forward to get into the trunk area. The CJ has an opening trunk, the chassis is a torsion bar swing arm and the body is mounted on quarter elliptic leaf springs while the Ural body is mounted on rubber "snow men" in the back. As you say you need trunk lid mounting hardware chances are it is either a Ural or a CJ.
We have some NOS CJ cast wheels that will fit on a CJ or a Ural if the Ural does not have a brake on it. The CJ brake drum is smaller then the Ural. $75 for these wheels. They are Chinese copies of the early BMW K bike wheels.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
ROKSTAR OP
Whoring it up

Thanks guys!

That's another thing...bike

It can't mount on my Buell. I need a good bike that I can take for 2.5 hours on the highway at highway speeds...without spending a zillion dollars.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

If you want to save some $, my first hack was on a early 80's suzuki GL1100. Pulled really well, and you can find them for really cheap these days. Nice open frame to hook the car up to as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
ROKSTAR OP
Whoring it up

I was thinking of a Yamaha Seca II 600.

61 hp, inline-4.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks nice and open. You may have an issue finding a good 4 points to mount from. Due to the sweep back on the down tube, doesn't look like there would be much real estate for your two lower mounts. Maybe a subframe would be in order?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
ROKSTAR OP
Whoring it up

guess I need to email the dmc guys
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
If you are changing bikes, the best bang for the buck that mounts are easy to make are the 4cyl Goldwings. I like the GL1100 best, They are cheap, easy to get parts for, still to this day more sidecars specific parts come up used then for most any other bike. The GL1100 is also nice in that it is the last Goldwing that had an engine that pulled like a bikes engine rather then a cars. These will pull to 8000 RPM's and until Honda came out with the GL1800 they were the fastest of all Goldwings. You can get these either with fairings or with out however the "Naked" bikes often are more expensive then the dressed bikes.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,061
Save yourself alot of grief and go buy this one: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post24624891
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
oldNbold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Save yourself alot of grief and go buy this one: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post24624891
That seems like a pretty nice deal.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 AM   #12
ked
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
this may fit your needs:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5%2FMotivation

ked