Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
triangle sidecar expert?

Hi all.
I'd like to have a sidecar attached to my motorcycle, and having never ridden a sidecar rig before, I was hoping to find someone local (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area) who has experience at that sort of thing. If y'all know of anyone you could recommend, I'd be grateful.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,488
You need to talk to RidingDonkeys. He's down near Southern Pines though. He has (at least) two sidecar rigs. He's on here frequently and will probably see this before you have a chance to reply.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks. I hope he posts up.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,488
Just PM'ed him. I'm sure he will.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,502
You rang?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

What kind of bike do you have? What kind of sidecar do you have in mind?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

A nice guy, local to me, has a ural sidecar that he'll sell me at a good price. After talking to him, I have the impression that it is extremely unwise to ride a rig that hasn't been setup by a professional / person with much experience.

Also, that it is, generally speaking, much less expensive to buy a rig that is already setup. I think the logic being that once you pay for the sub frame, mounting hardware and setup, plus the sidecar and motorcycle, you could have found something already put together for less.

I guess what I first want to know is rather or not that's true, and then some ball park price that one would expect to pay to have a sidecar mated to a motorcycle.

At this point I don't have a motorcycle for the sidecar, but I was thinking about a bmw K100, or a early gold wing.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #8
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
A nice guy, local to me, has a ural sidecar that he'll sell me at a good price. After talking to him, I have the impression that it is extremely unwise to ride a rig that hasn't been setup by a professional / person with much experience.

Also, that it is, generally speaking, much less expensive to buy a rig that is already setup. I think the logic being that once you pay for the sub frame, mounting hardware and setup, plus the sidecar and motorcycle, you could have found something already put together for less.

I guess what I first want to know is rather or not that's true, and then some ball park price that one would expect to pay to have a sidecar mated to a motorcycle.

At this point I don't have a motorcycle for the sidecar, but I was thinking about a bmw K100, or a early gold wing.
Yes, you can absolutely set it up yourself. But, that doesn't mean that you should.

You need to do an honest assessment of how much you enjoy turning a wrench and how much patience you have. It is a tedious process. First and foremost, read this thread and start getting an idea of what sidecar design formula really is, and how we do our crazy math for lead, trail, toe-in, etc. It isn't rocket science by any stretch, but it is a bit overwhelming for some folks new to hacks.

A K bike would be a good candidate for a Ural chair. A Goldwing might not. The Goldwing is a beast of a bike, and due to mass, most people mount larger chairs to Goldwings, think Hannigan style chairs. You'll see a fair amount of early 'wings with Hannigans like this:

I don't recommend making your own mounts, not unless you are a very experienced fabricator. Claude Stanly Motorsports and DMC Sidecars are the two premier sidecar outfitters in the nation, and they make mounts for countless models of motorcycles. Buy their mounts and be done with it. They make a great product.

Now, once you have mounts, a tug, and a chair, you have to hook it all up and most importantly, set it up. That is where the above formulas come into play. Also, you'll have to wire the sidecar in for lights. You won't use the brake on the Ural tub. Unless you're on a Ural with drums, you won't need it.

Now, if you wanted to have someone local do it, I'd talk to Peter Bombar over at Bombar's Beemers. He is a authorized Ural mechanic and has worked on his fair share of hacks. I don't know that he builds them though, but I'm certain he has the know-how. He may even have the perfect tug sitting in his used collection right now.

You also might try a Bonneville for the tug. I have a Bonnie rig and it really is a phenomenal tug for road duty, and virtually maintenance-free. Plus, they can be found readily on the used market and look good paired with a Ural tub. Feel free to ask more questions.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks for the detailed write up.

Do you, (or anyone else) know of a sidecar riders course anywhere in the state? I got a lead on one in Danville Va. but haven't heard anything back.

This all a work in progress, so I'm sure i'll have more questions. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Danville is the only one I'm tracking. I seem to recall 4PawsHacienda finding another one sometime ago.

So this thread got moved to the Hacks section. You've now got a lot of experts in your midst. Ask anything you want to know and I'm sure they'll pipe in.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,708
I heard a rumor that Lenoir CC is offering the hack course. I'm trying to confirm, but can't get a call back.

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

I hope you let us know, if you find anything out. i'd be willing to travel some distance to be able to take the course. i'd feel much better about taking a class instead of trying to figure it out on my own.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
I hope you let us know, if you find anything out. i'd be willing to travel some distance to be able to take the course. i'd feel much better about taking a class instead of trying to figure it out on my own.
I tend to go against conventional wisdom here, but I see nothing wrong with hopping on a hack and riding it home without going through a course. When I bought the Ural I rode it about 300 miles home. Hadn't been on a hack in 30 years and had the time of my life. Head to a big parking lot, play around for an hour or two and hit the road. You'll learn faster than you ever would going through a course, and will be doing it on your own rig.

That said, as soon as I can find out anything I will post it up. The courses seem to be few and far between, especially on the east coast.

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
I don't know how much research you have done, but there are some excellent (and free) downloads here: http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Look through the For sale items here on ADVrider, there are some good deals on complete rigs.
Good luck, and welcome!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #15
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphii View Post
I tend to go against conventional wisdom here, but I see nothing wrong with hopping on a hack and riding it home without going through a course. When I bought the Ural I rode it about 300 miles home. Hadn't been on a hack in 30 years and had the time of my life. Head to a big parking lot, play around for an hour or two and hit the road. You'll learn faster than you ever would going through a course, and will be doing it on your own rig.

That said, as soon as I can find out anything I will post it up. The courses seem to be few and far between, especially on the east coast.
I agree, a course is not required. However, it greatly depends on the rider and your comfort level. MrsDonkeys spent an hour in the parking lot at Ural of New England, then set out on a 1500+ mile journey home, riding the Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, and even some rush hour highway driving in Hartford. She had never been on a hack, and only had some dirt bike experience and an MSF BRC to her name for experience.

Find a parking lot and sort out the basics. Do some panic stops and figure out how things are supposed to feel. FLY THE CHAIR. Make it happen in a controlled environment so that you don't freak out when/if it happens on the road. Then stick to the back roads and maybe even add some ballast in the chair until you get comfortable.