Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #151
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Your M3 is fun, btw. Now I'm gonna have to get one.
Feh. There are faster & better cars
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #152
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
I sweat getting out of the shower, and the sun is barely on the horizon. Itís hot like August and Iím not ready for that in February. I know that the closer I get to home the more Iíll miss this feeling, but itís time to leave the coast.

I decide to pay for the toll road, Iím ready to make some miles. Immediately we start climbing, and I accelerate until things feel right, which happens at about 160kph. Iím leaned deep into a curve when I spot the Federale. I decide to wave. He waves back, unconcerned.

My tires are getting worrisome, itís time to deal with them. Thereís a KTM shop in Valle de Bravo, and Iíve always wanted to go there. Any town that hosts a world class race every year (the Funenduro) and WEC this year and Six Days next gets my vote, itís time to check it out. I turn North and start weaving through the mountains, at first on fast main roads, then on nadgery little ones, then on dirt.

I come to a town and stop for food, a kind of pizza-esque thing made on top of a 55 gallon drum, with loads of beans, cheese, and so on loaded on a very thick tortilla. Cheap, tasty, nutritional, freshÖ why is this hard to find in America?

The temperature is perfect again. Warm but not hot, with a dry altitude crispness that cannot be replicated on the coast. I feel perfect. My GPS indicates a turn that is not there, but I can see a roadcut on a distant hill. I make the turn despite its nonexistence, a philosophical impossibility that results in a beautiful run along a ridge.

I emerge onto a disused little track that matches the GPS, so I decide to head north. Iím grateful for the rear rally tank because I can afford for this road to dead end. We emerge, my bike and I, into the back side of a little town that lacks pavement, street lights, and self-consciousness. Everyone smiles and waves and children run along behind me. Why is this so hard to find in America?

Gradually the roads get bigger again until I emerge in Valle de Bravo. I do my best to ask a woman on a quad where a motorcycle store is, and she responds in crisp English with directions to the KTM shop. Off I go, with 20 minutes till closing.

I walk in and ask about tires. No, we donít have any responds the woman behind the counter. The shopkeeper next door wanders over to look at the SE and inquires about the race numbers as I walk out. He lets me try in Spanish for a few moments before he reveals his perfect English. We discuss the Baja race, the tour Iím on, and he asks if I know Gaspipe. Small worldÖ. Turns out he was on the volcano ride with Gaspipe, leewildwater, and Ibarra last year (Santiago or Tin on the 450XCW).

Tin owns the outdoor shop next door to Avandaro KTM, which is convenient because he spends all his time thinking about motorcycles as far as I can tell (takes one to know one). Right away, he offers to call Ibarra, whom Iíve always wanted to meet, and Ibarra offers his house to me over the phone, unmet. Heíll be home tomorrow but I should spend the night there, he urges, and I accept. Meanwhile, Tin negotiates to buy a set of scorpions off a customerís bike, and gets me invited on the after work tour of the local trails.

Imagine someone from Mexico turning up in your town, and a distant internet connection being enough to offer your home, tear the tires off a friendís bike, and change your plans for a ride. It canít be done, and the warmth of friendship and camaraderie is something we are poorer for missing.

Iíve been here 20 minutes, and gone from zero to hero. I unload the bike and weíre off. Chris is the nephew of the shop owner, heís leading the ride, and weíre joined by a friend of his visiting from Mexico City.

First thing out of town, we come to a tricky climb used in all the enduros. They warn me, I decide to take off at the front so Iíll have help if I get stuck. I clean it, they are suitably impressed, Iím relieved, and weíre off to the races.

The trails are great fun, singletracks that weave around and use the terrain, sometimes technical but mostly not. There is no problem with access here, we ride across a soccer field mid game to cheers and pick up the trail on the other side. Why is this so hard to find in America?

A few hours of charging later, Iím out of gas. Chris gives me a few cupfuls from his bike, we make it to the gas station, and call it a night. I find Ibarraís house, crawl into a bed, and sleep feeling that I am among my own.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #153
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,019
wooot!

great writing, great riding and paragliding.

Hey, that's a nice rhyme.

good stuff Ned.

I so want to be closer to Mexico.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #154
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
I'z wif mah peeps.

cRAsH screwed with this post 09-22-2009 at 02:01 PM
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #155
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
I love your writing skills.
Great pictures too.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #156
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Ö why is this hard to find in America?
It does happen, but it is oh so rare that you must cherish it when you find it!

Great writing Ned! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #157
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Excellent stuff, Ned - loving it!

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #158
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,693
Nice composition Ned - cool shots too.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #159
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Definitely worth the wait! Welcome back. I stole a line from earlier for a sig. Hope you don't mind. It just seemed right.

John
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #160
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
There's some darn good riding there, and Ned's in it. Lordy, I wish I was back there *right* now.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #161
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,561
am so pleased i subscribed to this RR!

was a nice surprise to see a new post.

Cheers n thanks mate

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #162
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,888

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #163
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,796
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #164
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
ahhh NEd. you're making working life very difficult. why must you remind us that there is sooo much more to life than the grind? i suppose evoking emotions is a sign of a good writer.

come visit - i have been eyeing a ridge with your name on it
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #165
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
Awesome, but man, you can really drag it out.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote