Oddometer: 486
Thanks so far...enjoying this!
`11 KTM690
edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #48
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,576
"Hot for Teacher" would have been a better title..................
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #49
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,867
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #50
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
¡Un lugar increíble a ocultar! ¿Usted vio los mummys? Falto Guanajuato y quiero volver. Este RR merece el trofeo creativo de la escritura Lone Rider. ¡Simplemente grande!

HWSNBN screwed with this post 05-29-2009 at 06:59 AM
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #51
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
¡Un lugar increíble a ocultar! ¿Usted vio los mummys? Falto Guanajuato y quiero volver. Este RR merece el trofeo creativo de la escritura Lone Rider. ¡Simplemente grande!

That'll kick Ned's butt.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #52
booty0
Booger eater

Oddometer: 174
You people are becoming a bad influence on me. This thread isn't helping...

booty0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #53
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,560
Thumb

I'm in.

This is just what I needed today. Thanks,
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #54
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
Hello Ned - really nice read. Thanks for putting forth the effort and sharing. I give you a whole box of Altoids next time we meet.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #55
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
We are euphoric. We slept in the road last night when the light ran out, with no dinner and now, no breakfast. Actually, calling it a road is a bit of a stretch- so far, the only traffic we’ve seen is a drunken farmer on a tractor at about 1 AM. At least, I think it was 1 AM, but I don’t have any way to tell time with me so that’s just a guess. The drunk part is right, though, I’m sure of that because some things you just know, like when you see a girl in a bar and know she’d fuc, well, never mind. Anyway, some things you know.

The reason we’re so excited is that we’re pretty sure we found the connection that’s going to make this fool’s errand work, and it looks like we might just have enough gas. Two weeks ago, we had a two minute “wouldn’t-it-be-cool” discussion, and we’ve just spent two days converting it from the back of the napkin to unfold before our eyes.

But hold on, I’m ahead of myself. Last night, I was not euphoric, I was pissed. Pissed because neither the map, nor the GPS, had anything to do with what was on the ground and I don’t have enough fuel to be wrong, pissed because I should be smarter than this, pissed because I had dropped my bike in the silt where I shouldn’t have, pissed because I seem to be a dead-end-seeking missile, pissed because if we don’t sort this out PDQ, I’m going to be pushing. There’s a word for this situation, and it’s one that is familiar: adventure.

We all have a comfort zone of adventure. When we are inside our comfort zone, setbacks are just opportunities, flat tires are good for a laugh and dead ends are cool things to see. When we go beyond our comfort zone, fear overcomes excitement and the casualty is enjoyment.

For whatever reason, I’m back in the comfort zone this morning, and good thing, too, because the riding is brilliant.

We are inching our way south on a web of driveways. The GPS is unreliable at best, and we’ve developed a system for navigation: roads that are smooth dead end at a house. Roads that are potholed and stutterbumped will go through. It hardly ever fails.

We are euphoric because this is adventure riding. We aren’t on some trail that might as well be an amusement park ride, with a sign every 200 yards and a ranger on patrol. We can’t count on the map or the GPS to tell us which way to go, and if we fuck up it’s going to count. We are euphoric because we are living like men should, with their destiny in their hands and a price to be paid for dropping it.

Now, we can see the coast, and we know we’ve got it cracked, there’s always a coast road.

And that’s the reason you go on these kinds of trips. At home, life treads a narrow path. On a good day, you beat traffic. On a bad one, you don’t. Out here, bad days are a lot worse, and good ones a lot better. This is real, this is strong, this is powerful. This is an adventure, for better or for worse, and the value of knowing what you faced and how you dealt with it is high. These are the days we will know for the rest of our lives, the hours when we felt most true to who we wish to be, and the minutes that a smile broke through that goes all the way to the soul. Beauty might only be skin deep, but adventure goes to the bone.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #56
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,220
Excellent.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #57
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Where exactly are you?
not sayin’, because I don’t want it to be that kind of report. South. Hi Steve! Hope to see you this summer…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Why is Neduro sad?
Not sad, just introspective. Well, sad at times, but that’s not the main part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
This isn't so much of a ride report as it is a life report...
It was more than just a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Ned, I'm not a big fan of the attaboys when someone is writing a thread, but I had to say that I very much appreciate your gift of delivering this one to us. If I only knew then what I know now comes to mind two-fold in my mind right now.
I like the feedback, it’s no fun to pour yourself into an entry and then wonder, tap, tap, if this thing is on. Wish you’d been there, Bruce!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #58
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,879
The keyboard is most definitely on. Being a n00b, there are many things that most riders take in stride which take me out of my adventure comfort zone. Reading about the things that take you out of yours give me confidence to know that some day all the discomforting little things will become the usual, pushing the edge to more challenges.

Thanks for putting this out there.

Looking forward to reading on.

P.S. This is most likely 205, but during a three week trip to bring a 60' sailboat from Cabo San Lucas to Marina del Rey during where things did not always go as planned, the cap'n of the boat remarked that the best adventures are the ones from which you return. I took it to mean that it isn't always fun, but it's usually worthwhile.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #59
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,457
Definitely on, and definitely enjoying this, Ned. Thank you!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #60
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Definitely on, and definitely enjoying this, Ned. Thank you!

Charla is offline   Reply With Quote