User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #61
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Ned....

Most of us just play at the adventure riding thing.

A real adventure has two elements (1) uncertainty and (2) risk. Your trip meets both criteria. Great trip and excellent reporting.

Dave
Old 05-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #62
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 758
Ride, wrench, think, write, repeat.

Brilliant. Digging this RR big time, Ned.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #63
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
...I like the feedback, it’s no fun to pour yourself into an entry and then wonder, tap, tap, if this thing is on...
I can hear you in the back row just fine

Subscribed
tn-steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #64
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Wow, gotta get in on this one too. Thanks for writing it.
kennyh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #65
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
¡Un lugar increíble a ocultar! ¿Usted vio los mummys? Falto Guanajuato y quiero volver. Este RR merece el trofeo creativo de la escritura Lone Rider. ¡Simplemente grande!
Saved this one for when I had more time... I agree, No, Me too, and thanks, at least I think those are the right answers!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #66
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Saved this one for when I had more time... I agree, No, Me too, and thanks, at least I think those are the right answers!
¡Ci Guay, que bueno! ¿Pero los pics nuevos es de Bajajaja tambien??? no? Su reporta captura la espirito del día, la espirito del borde sin pensar en los detalles, lugar de la aventura. ¡Que genio! Continúe por favor, no hablo mas mierda.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #67
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
¡Ci Guay, que bueno! ¿Pero los pics nuevos es de Bajajaja tambien??? no? Su reporta captura la espirito del día, la espirito del borde sin pensar en los detalles, lugar de la aventura. ¡Que genio! Continúe por favor, no hablo mas mierda.

HWSNBN said mierda..
kennyanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #68
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Who called this meeting?... and why wasn't I told?

IN

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #69
Rellik
o-KAY!

Oddometer: 589
I'm hearin' Johnny Cash on my radio, "Desperado, why don't you come to your senses, you been out ridin' fences for so long now".

Great stuff Ned.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #70
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
I have to admit I did not see this coming... I saw a ride report by Neduro and thought,

"Cool, what kind of hopelessly over-powered machine is he riding over ridiculously impossible terrain now?"

Instead we get treated to the off-road version of Jack Kerouac. "Off The Road"?

Good job dude!

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #71
Arctic traveller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Not what I expected, but boy have I been there! Good job
Arctic traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #72
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Quote:
I know where you went.... and I'm not telling.....

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #73
Ensey
KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer: 730
Great report.........
Ensey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #74
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
Our eyes meet and right away I know, this is the one for me. I approach her, and I feel at once apprehensive about her supermodel legs and obvious athleticism, excited about getting to know her better, and warm because she responds so instantly to my touch.

I love this bike. I absolutely love it. This almost doesn’t fit in the sweep of this report, because it’s an emotion that repeated itself over and over, every time I saw 20x, but how can you leave your partner out? I’d peer over the balcony first thing in the morning, stretching to catch a glimpse of her at rest and excited to ride all day once I did. I’d come out of a tienda and spot her across the road and my heart would skip a beat, momentarily forgetting that she is mine, all mine. I find her exotic and smart and competent and sexy and dirty and classy all at once.

When there’s beer being consumed by one or more motorcyclists, the subject at hand is always which bike would be perfect. I always knew I had the best answer in the room.

I really enjoy riding a certain pace off-road, and having the bike respond to my inputs precisely. A KLR or DR 650 or XR-L or GS is capable of going all the places I went, but you can't ride them the same way, because they lack the precision of engine and suspension that make it pleasureable. These companies could make an awesome dual-sport, but they haven’t bothered, either stopping at a cheaped up commuter bike, or going too far and adding gee-gaw gadgets but forgetting that suspension and simplicity are the recipe for success. The bikes will carry you everywhere you could want to go, but your soul might not make the same trip.

This feeling of competence at speed the Superenduro gives isn’t just academic, here’s a picture of that very same bike at the finish line of the 2007 Baja 1000, in which Pyndon, Hilslamer, and I raced the bike to 18th Open Pro over 1300 miles, against mostly 450’s. Yes, that’s tire smoke.

It feels like a racebike, because it IS a racebike. I love that feel, it’s not necessary to the trip but it’s what turns my crank in a motorcycle. It’s the panache of the bike that makes me smile so wide.

But she’s not a one trick pony, far from it. She’s as good at 150kph on the quota as she is at 15kph on some nasty sand road somewhere. She hauls luggage and passengers without a care in the world, never straining to keep up. In fact, the motor gives the impression that the entire world is downhill and downwind from here. You never work it very hard, you never get that “I’m givin’ ‘er all she’s got, cap’n” feeling, she’s always got more in reserve if you have the balls to ask.

Next, I love her because she’s reliable. Nothing else can be ridden, or perhaps flogged is a better word, like this bike can with so little fussiness and maintenance. Here we are executing a passing maneuver on another advrider, who kindly snapped a picture:

A little work at the beginning to simplify her and set her up as God, Fabrizio Meoni, and advtank.com intended, free of charcoal canisters and the like, and she asks for almost nothing but rear tires.

She’s simple, no CANBUS to break, no FI to choke on watered down gas, no final drive to strand me. There’s nothing I can’t wrap my head around given enough time and some basic tools. I can count on her, and I have for many epic adventures and I will for many more.

I love this bike.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #75
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,419
All I can say is wow...that is some description. Now, if they would only make a bike like that for short people.
Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote