Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #76
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
I put the Ricor valves in my KLR, rode it on regular maintained gravel and unmaintained gravel with washouts, rough spots etc. the bike rides real smooth, i have not rode the bike on single track or on real rough stuff, so i cant say how the bike would handle.

I put the R/T Gold valves on the DR, it does not ride so smooth on gravel but you can get in the rough and single track and it will take whatever you throw at it, i am sure i could do some tuning and get the Gold valves to sooth out a little on rock roads, i would need to read up or ask for some tips, i just drilled the holes in the rod, installed them, put in the 10wt fluid and wanted to use that as a base line.

Just some feedback for what its worth, i know its apples and oranges because we are talking 2 different bikes.
I'd try backing off the adjusting screw a half or full turn and try that. If you can determine the forks are rebounding too fast and that's what you feel, try 15 wt. oil. Be advised that fork oils vary all over the place for any advertised wt. Here's a chart. The column that counts is the 40 deg C cSt one--the col. right after the advertised wt.

http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html
Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #77
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
The damping relationship is between the wheel and the chassis--they're not separable.
Oh yes they are

That's the whole point of the Intiminators.

Chassis movement where the chassis moves toward the wheel eg. cornering, bottom of dips etc. are heavily damped.

Wheel movements where the wheel is moving toward the chassis eg. rocks etc. is lightly damped.

Not in the classic low and high speed damping sense.

The inertia valve opens with wheel movement uncovering more bleed holes.

There's a shim stack controlling the normal compression damping.
Under brakes, there's less than half the normal brake dive.

This also means you can't pre-load the front to pop it over a log/rock as easily - dammit. But that's the only downside for me.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #78
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Oh yes they are

That's the whole point of the Intiminators.

Chassis movement where the chassis moves toward the wheel eg. cornering, bottom of dips etc. are heavily damped.

Wheel movements where the wheel is moving toward the chassis eg. rocks etc. is lightly damped.

Not in the classic low and high speed damping sense.

The inertia valve opens with wheel movement uncovering more bleed holes.

There's a shim stack controlling the normal compression damping.
Under brakes, there's less than half the normal brake dive.

This also means you can't pre-load the front to pop it over a log/rock as easily - dammit. But that's the only downside for me.
Interesting, never heard of it before. I suspect that Intimins. combined with opening up the damper tubes would be a real good way to go, but it depends on the bike. My KDX got far better with the emulators, but my KLR only got a little better. The stock KLR forks were soft and soaked up bumps pretty well, but they brake-dove badly. I think the damper holes must have been somewhat larger than those in the KDX. I didn't measure them, just enlarged and drilled new ones.

As always, more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #79
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
update.

i'm 175lbs on eibach .50 springs and the rate is too high (1.5" of sag and 2.5" is ideal 25% of total travel).

been riding for a long bit with this setup and know finally spending time omptimizing. up till know i thought i was dialed in but the more time i've spent dialing in the rear suspension (DR Cogent shock w/ proper spring) the more i realize the front is wrong.

been trying to figure out in the big DR thread what eibach rates should be used and .50 is looking to be ideal for someone 250lbs. i'm thinking .46-.48 at this point and i'm open to suggestions or other findings.

thanks!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #80
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
update.

i'm 175lbs on eibach .50 springs and the rate is too high (1.5" of sag and 2.5" is ideal 25% of total travel).

been riding for a long bit with this setup and know finally spending time omptimizing. up till know i thought i was dialed in but the more time i've spent dialing in the rear suspension (DR Cogent shock w/ proper spring) the more i realize the front is wrong.

been trying to figure out in the big DR thread what eibach rates should be used and .50 is looking to be ideal for someone 250lbs. i'm thinking .46-.48 at this point and i'm open to suggestions or other findings.

thanks!
I'm 195 lbs and have the .50 Eibachs. I haven't ever thought they were too stiff. That was the spring rate Kientech recommended.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #81
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:

thanks!
I'm running the .47's and with 5mm of preload, they're nicely in the static/race sag ballpark according to Neduro's book.

Have you tried the stock springs + Intiminators?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #82
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out what to do about my forks and just read through this thread. My bike has supermoto wheels and I only ride street. The biggest reason i want to upgrade my front forks is brake dive. It was bad with the stock brakes but now with the 320mm front rotor, it can only get worse. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the intiminators, but what springs should I get? I am 200lbs, never carry any gear, and only ride street. i was thinking .50 straight rate springs to go with the intiminators. Or should I get the procycle progressive springs along with the the intiminators?
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #83
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
I believe the intiminator site specifically says NO to progressive rate springs
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #84
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmm ok, there seems to be some differing opinion here. Hard to figure out whats best as everyone says different things

http://drriders.com/topic3281.html
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #85
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I believe the intiminator site specifically says NO to progressive rate springs
stock springs are progressive and many use those just fine.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #86
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I'm running the .47's and with 5mm of preload, they're nicely in the static/race sag ballpark according to Neduro's book.

Have you tried the stock springs + Intiminators?
thanks. what's your weight?
i'll be back in the us in april & i'm going to get those .47 eibachs and sell my .50s to someone heavier. what oil height did you go with?
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #87
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Hmm ok, there seems to be some differing opinion here. Hard to figure out whats best as everyone says different things

http://drriders.com/topic3281.html
yes opinions are all over the place.
difference may lie in the fact some use dr on the street and thus like it stiffer and some in the dirt plusher. stock is .40 and i'm 175lbs and the .50 is to stiff for me. i ride alot of dirt and want it plusher there but still like how the nators keep the front end from diving during braking on the street. setup is always a compromise somewhere. if i rode offroad all the time i'd use emulators, but i ride aggressively 50/50.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 10:18 AM
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #88
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I will go with the intiminators and .50 straight rate springs.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #89
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I think I will go with the intiminators and .50 straight rate springs.
Should work very well. For road riding, you may want to go with a 7.5w oil to slow the rebound with the heavier springs but that's about it.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #90
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
ride alot of dirt and want it plusher there but still like how the nators keep the front end from diving during braking on the street. setup is always a compromise somewhere. if i rode offroad all the time i'd use emulators, but i ride aggressively 50/50.
Taking out a 0.020" shim and replacing it with a pair of 0.010" ones would also make the Intiminators feel slightly more like Emulators.

When testing my TT350 with the Triumph Scrambler Intiminators, I rode them straight for a while, no dive at all, no movement at all unless you rode up a kerb. Then with a 0.020" shim removed which made them feel remarkably like stock with the amount of dive. I ended up with the 0.020" out and an 0.010" in. A little more brake dive than the DR setup but far less than stock and still very supple over the rough stuff. The preload spacer was just over twice the thickness of the Intiminators and I've removed it completely.