User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
The TTR 250 thread

I picked up a '99 TTR 250 for my wife yesterday, did a lot of research here and didn't find an official tech thread here in Thumpers, so I'm starting one. I've seen the TTR picture threads, but if there is already a TTR 250 Tech thread, I apologize... couldn't find it.

The eventual plan is to put together a road-legal Adventure bike that my wife can ride when I'm on my DR650 and a smaller bike that I can use to tackle the technical singletrack trails when I'm on my own. It's 'her' bike though, so we'll keep that last part quiet.

Our TTR is bone stock and has been quite neglected by the PO, so the first matter of business is to bring the maint. up to date. Once we finish that, the next step is to get it plated. I want to do that as inexpensive as possible, so I will probably end up piecing together the parts to plate it. If anyone has suggestions, feel free to mention them.

Here's the '99 TT-R 250 we picked up over the weekend, after some cleaning up-

Search keywords- Yamaha, TT-R, TTR250, 250, TTR*

Greg@RME screwed with this post 11-28-2009 at 07:57 PM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Lets talk about options for larger fuel tanks, since that's a common upgrade for Adventure bikes...

I understand that aftermarket Honda XR250/400 tanks are a close enough fit to the stock tank and front of the seat of the TTR250 that they can be made to work. The front of the seat needs to be worked with (bent up) and adding one of these tanks will require a custom fab'd front tank mount. Most people build that mount to tie into the front motor mount.

With the Honda tanks fitting the TTR, there are now a handful of different sizes available depending on your requirements. From 4 gallons up to 5.8 gallons, there should be enough options to balance out additional riding range and carrying too much fuel.

Here's the aftermarket tank options from justgastanks.com, for the Honda XR400-

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...&cPath=1_9_123

The IMS 4 gallon tank looks pretty good to me, that's probably the tank I will go with for our TTR. Good compromise of weight/size and travel distance between gas stops.

Greg@RME screwed with this post 11-28-2009 at 08:36 PM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Here is mine.

I uncorked it and it runs pretty well. I can't say it keeps up with the WR's on the open straights, but I seem to do ok in the tight stuff.

Trials tires make all the difference to show up the big boys.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
I've got an 04 (?) 250 for the wife as well, and so far have done a fair bit to it. She had a nice learning curve starting with a CRF150F, to the CRF230F to the TTR250. Once on the 250, she found the increase in weight to be significant and the seat height being 36" was way too much for her inseam.

So, after doing some reading

Thumpertalk

TTR250 Thread

I took a sharp knife and attacked the seat! I pretty much removed a good 1.5" from it - taking care to make it as smooth as I could (needs some touching up, but it works). This made a big difference, but after much discussion and a couple rides with her getting frustrated with the higher weight and still a bit high I ordered a Kouba Lowering Link for the bike.

This dropped it another 1.5" (I lowered the forks 3/4") and she seems much more comfortable and confident. The good thing is she can feel the difference with the change in geometry, but life is full of compromises

She also has forward offset bar risers which also make a big difference for her.

Anyway, I digress a bit... ours came street legal with a Baja designs kit - which works fine.

That option of the larger tank is interesting, I'm on an 450EXC so right now our fuel ranges are pretty similiar and I'm not sure i want to add more weight to the top of her bike. So, that might be a thought.. have her ride it a bit to see how she is with the weight (or, don't let her ride it and just change the tank, what she doesn't know she can't complain about!).

The real funny thing is she complained to me endlessly that her bike weighed more than mine, and I disagreed (EXC is 252lbs) - saying they weighed the same, it was a weight distribution thing. Well, I ended up reading the manual and found the TTR is 275!

Oh - last thought... you may want to consider re-jetting it. If you are finding it is riding like shite just off idle and you are thinking it is gunk in the carbs.. you may be right, but chances are the jetting needs changing. The stock jetting is a problem from the factory and most guys have changed it.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Yeah, the TTR is very portly-and on the same note quite indestructible. The number of times I have literally thrown this on to sharp rocks..upside down...etc and just picked right back up to start is incredible.

check out the avatar.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
pos7box
n00b

Oddometer: 8
TTR250 Exhaust

Hey guys Im looking for the best option for my TTR250, I need to replace the standard exhaust as its starting to rust.

These are the Exhaust that I know Fit:
1.) FMF Powercore 4
2.) Pro Circuit
3.) Staintune
4.) Penta Exhaust
5.) Big gun

I have looked at the FMF but it is a bit expensive here at around R4000, where as the Penta is around R2500

Any Suggestions
pos7box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
pantheman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Heres my tech quest............

Has anyone fitted a Mikuni TM33-8012 on a TTR250? Does it fit in the frame ???, Im looking to buy one and I would like to know in advance, thank you
pantheman is offline   Reply With Quote